PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

OS Daily Friday 29th August

Hi, this is the Daily Thread for Friday 29th of August. This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything OS and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an OS natter. The more the merrier!

When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem, we’re a laid back bunch here so you won’t hear any complaints. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning

Some people who chat here like to try to answer everyone. Don’t feel you have to though, a general “hi everyone, hope everyone’s well” type start does just as well.

Morning Peeps :wave:

I woke up a while ago on the sofa fully clothed :eek: i`ve no idea what time i fell asleep only that i woke around half past five.

I do know i was shattered but can`t believe that i slept so deeply!, never mind i feel fine and have already got off toa flying start in the kitchen.

The washing machine didn`t go on last night as i don`t have a full load until the bed has been stripped today, i did wonder whether or not to do a half load but the weather forecast says rain, it dosen`t seem too bright outside but it is a bit too early to tell for sure.

The dishwasher is finished and i will be emptying that shortly and i can smell th breadmaker finishing the loaf, it should be about another ten minutes, i did a french loaf this time for a change as we haven`t had one of those for a while.

I have also got my first chicken in the remoska!, it`s about 1.5kg (just over) and i followed everyones recommendations on the remoska thread and put some butter underneath the skin and started it off upside down and i also covered it in foil. It went in at ten past 6 and i will be turning it over very shortly, hope it`s good - i have a feeling that it will be:D

Today i will be mostly cleaning upstairs, if the weather is dry then i shall go and see if there are still any blackberries left, i need to sort out a window upstairs and seal around the framework, i also have a blind to put for this window but i`m not sure that it will be done today but i hope so.

Smoky - I think that it would be a nice idea use the money towards Erics headstone, as CM & Haribo have said it would be nice to think that we could have helped towards Erics memorial. Glad to hear that you love your new garden!

Beemuzed - I have my fingers crossed for your DS, lets hope it`s not as severe as first thought! ((((HUGS))))

I`m off to turn over the chicken in the remmy now.
Have a good day peeps ((((HUGS)))) for everyone.
SD
Planning on starting the GC again soon :p

Comments

• jannyannie
    jannyannie Posts: 797 Forumite
    Morning Sunnyday and all who cross and follow.

Up early to go to Legoland. Big hugs to all who need one today. Will catch you later.

Jan :A xxxx
  • Morning Sunnyday, JannyA, & all to follow.

SunnyD - what's the french loaf like? I was saying to my mum yesterday I might try one - do you get the BM to do the dough then shape it into a stick, or just cook it in a loaf shape??
    Have a great day JA!!! Never been but heard lots of people say they've really enjoyed Legoland.

Haribo & Diva, glad to see you're sorted again :) I love this thread - to me, yes it's about OldStyle (and finding inspiration & motivation from all the Wonderwomen on here) but it's also a good place to come & share news, be it good & bad, to have a little joke about or commiserate with each other, to keep each going in tough times. The sense of caring & support & generosity amazes me sometimes. As do some of the pictures..... Diva, I'm sure we'd love to see the full-size 'arty' posters..... lol!!!!!!!!

Smoky, lovely to hear from you - you really are doing so well. I wasn't really here at the time, so know I'm not particularly qualified to comment, but I do agree with what the others said about the headstone, it's about whatever will bring you comfort and ease your heart a little. Several of the houses near me have trampolines - I don't know where the kids get the stamina to bounce around for so long!!! But they must be absolutely shattered after a while... I think lots of us are ready for the end of the holidays & needing a bit of time/space away from the kids, and back into a routine - not long to go now. ((((((((((hugs))))))))))))) for you & the children.

Woke up at 6am having a real moment of panic about having left something somewhere, had to go hunting round right that minute for it (with my heart racing 19 to the dozen!). Found it now, but my heart is still beating somewhat fast.... Think more tea is definitely called for.

(((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))) to all those needing them - and for those who would just like one.
    Have a good day all. I'm sure I'll be back shortly! I shall have withdrawal symptoms come October when I'm back at Uni & out on placement !!
    Live your life until love is found, or love's gonna get you down" (credit to Mika!):p

• mioliere
    mioliere Posts: 6,838 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Good morning all.

Smoky - I'm sure we would all feel honoured if the money went towards Eric's headstone - I think it's a wonderful idea.
    How awful that your GP had not informed the hospital.
    I'm so glad your garden has turned out so well and I think a trampoline would be perfect for your LOs; they are all at the ages that would really make the most of it. Sending massive (((hugs))) to you all and I really hope that, once the children are back at school, you can focus on yourself for a little while every day. You have been through such a lot and are doing so well, it's time for 'you' as well.

(((Hugs))) also to PenPin, Jayward, Cadygirl's Dad, Essex-girl's Dad, Beth and her DBs, Beemuzed's DS and all who are in need.

Churchmouse - :hello: :hello: :hello:

Today I need to do my food shopping and then visit the gym because I didn't get round to it yesterday and I am determined to go at least twice a week. I also need to visit the wool shop - my Mum's birthday is at the end of September and she has told people that all she wants is knitting wool so she can carry on with the Wooligans so I shall get together about ten different colours for her. I also picked up a lovely old-fashioned baby doll in a charity shop a few months ago and I am knitting some clothes for it to make another present for her. She loves dolls and always kept us girl's well-supplied with them when we were small. When she herself was six years old, she developed TB and had to spend a lot of time in hospital. She remembers the doctor coming to collect her to take her for yet another stay and, when he saw the ragdoll she was carrying, he said 'you won't be needing that in hospital' and threw it in the fire! How awful is that? When she told me only recently, it made me cry - I can't imagine doing that to a small child. She understood that it was to prevent the risk of infection to others but she could have kept it at home until she returned from hospital. So I hope she can treasure this doll when I give it to her, 72 years after she lost her first one.

Oh, well, I'm mioliering and should really be in the shower.

I hope everyone has a good Friday.

See you all later.

KathyXX

I still have some paperwork to do and TBH I'm finding it such a hateful job - mainly because it's a bit like the washing, never ending.

The skies are a sort of light grey this morning so I don't know what to expect - I shall still hang the washing out, though
    KNIT YOUR SQUARE TOTALS:

Squares: 11, Animal blankets: 2
  • donny-gal
    donny-gal Posts: 4,654 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Morning SD & All who cross follow.

Twice in one day H-J and I agreed I think that putting the money towards the headstone would be a nice idea. You were right Smoky with the reasons behind the donations in my case and others too I am sure.

MSDiva don't worry I don't think the post you made wasn't taken seriously or offended, it was just H-J and I having one of our occasional spats. I didn't mean to upset, but obviously was wrong thing on wrong day and I did as P-W's mail disappeared. Hope I'm forgiven H-J? For while I can do crafty things, I know she wipes the floor with me in the kitchen.

Well friends arrived just after I got the Aldi shopping away, and stayed 3-4 hours, so neither ironing or spare room got any attention. Will have to see what today brings, but other friends coming for the weekend by tea time! Never mind seeing friends more important that chores.

Got back to the Wii-Fit last night, it arrived just before we went away and had only used it once. It told me I had gained 6lb:eek: , but after doing one of the Body Tests, gave me an aged 15 years younger, this was great as super fit DH had been crowing when it gave him an aed 1 year younger! I managed 24 minutes of exercise, and only have the odd twinge this morning so will be back on it. I know what EG you mean for kids, as my DH is fit, slim and hardly any spare on him has been given as overweight and his BMI is too high, he's gone up 2" in waist size in the 35 years we've been married and is a 34" waist.:rolleyes: Wish I could say the same:o , but I am trying (very I hear you cry!).

:grouphug: Beth, Smoky, Pen-Pin, Jayward, WS and all others who's names have flown out of my head, but please feel free to grab one :grouphug:

Take care all - DG
    Member #8 of the SKI-ers Club
    Why is it I have less time now I am retired then when I worked?
  • mioliere wrote: »
    She remembers the doctor coming to collect her to take her for yet another stay and, when he saw the ragdoll she was carrying, he said 'you won't be needing that in hospital' and threw it in the fire! How awful is that? When she told me only recently, it made me cry - I can't imagine doing that to a small child.................So I hope she can treasure this doll when I give it to her, 72 years after she lost her first one.

That gave me a lump in my throat too, how sad at the time - and what a lovely gesture from you now. I'm sure you'll both have tears in your eyes when you give her the new doll.

I'm so jealous of all you knitters, I have tried in the past & just absolutely cannot do it. I haven't got the knack :( Wish I did.
    Live your life until love is found, or love's gonna get you down" (credit to Mika!):p

• Mellika
    Mellika Posts: 506 Forumite
    Morning everyone, hope you're all doing well...

I've been up for a few hours, just woke up and couldn't go back to sleep.

I want to start growing my own veg but it seems like you need SO MUCH stuff, and it costs a lot of money up front. Was wondering if there's any way around this? :confused: Otherwise will just have to give it up :(

Day is sunny but chilly here in Hartlepool, hope you're having nice weather where you are.

:hello:
    GC March Wk1 £28.72/£30 Wk2 £28.4/£29
    "Life is too short to float Coke cans..."
    Use it up, Wear it out, Make it do, or do without!
    :jSealed Pot Challenge Member No.644 (Mar4-Dec1):j
    100 Day Challenge: 13/100 (Mar4-Jun9)
  • Hardup_Hester
    Hardup_Hester Posts: 4,800 Forumite
    Morning all
    Big hugs to JannieAnnie & Beemuzed, also to Smokey & PP.
    Please tiptoe round me today, I had a terrible nights sleep last night & I just know it won't take much to turn me into a ranting harridan (be quiet Aussie, lol, I know you're probably thinking I already am one)
    I spent 5 hours at work yesterday scrubbing floors & heaving boxes around. We (the Admin team) have a list of things to do before Tuesday when the rest of the staff start back, unfortunately we have a cantankerous caretaker & the list of what his team DON'T do is getting longer by the day & so we are taking up the slack. According to him Caretakers don't move or carry things as that is porterage, they don't clean or pick up litter as that is cleaning & they don't do repairs as that is maintenance!!! What's left! Oh yes they do sign for parcels & store them, but they can't get the parcels out of storage as that would mean moving stuff, which is porterage. Can you tell that this is begining to take it's toll? They also don't hang curtains as that is housekeeping, so today I'm hanging the curtains in the Hall, I'm the only one not afraid to go up the scaffold tower.
    OK, rant over & back to OS, the washing is on the line the DW & BM are both on, no idea what's for tea, probably lamb shanks.
    I hope everyone has a good day.
    Hugs Hester

Never let success go to your head, never let failure go to your heart.
  • Mellika
    Mellika Posts: 506 Forumite
    mioliere wrote: »
    She remembers the doctor coming to collect her to take her for yet another stay and, when he saw the ragdoll she was carrying, he said 'you won't be needing that in hospital' and threw it in the fire! How awful is that? When she told me only recently, it made me cry - I can't imagine doing that to a small child. She understood that it was to prevent the risk of infection to others but she could have kept it at home until she returned from hospital. So I hope she can treasure this doll when I give it to her, 72 years after she lost her first one.

What a terrible thing to do! And throw it in the fire too, instead of just leaving it aside. It wasn't his to destroy. But I guess that was the way back then, doctors just had a certain authority and rights...
    GC March Wk1 £28.72/£30 Wk2 £28.4/£29
    "Life is too short to float Coke cans..."
    Use it up, Wear it out, Make it do, or do without!
    :jSealed Pot Challenge Member No.644 (Mar4-Dec1):j
    100 Day Challenge: 13/100 (Mar4-Jun9)
  • Hester - sending you calming thoughts for today...... (and failing that, a stiff drink!!!!!!!!!) I would be inclined to make some comment to the caretaker along the lines of "well, the next thing you know with all these new cutbacks maybe your job will be one of them...." and just walk off. Implying you know something he doesn't...!!! Meantime, I foresee lots of deep breathing & counting to [STRIKE]10[/STRIKE] 100000000

• Hardup_Hester
    Hardup_Hester Posts: 4,800 Forumite
    Hi Squiggly
    Thanks for the calming thoughts, I like your idea about cutbacks, lol.

Never let success go to your head, never let failure go to your heart.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure