PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

September 2008 Grocery Challenge. Please read first two posts.

Options

Comments

• smetf
    smetf Posts: 265 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi all
    Have updated sig and feeling like already budget has run away from me. Bit gutted my Abel and Cole purchase hasn't tracked with quidco but trying to keep going with bits until a big shop really didn't help either. Have done a bit of menu planning and it isn't looking too bad just feeling a bit :eek:!

this month have started keeping closer track of other spends (gifts and clothes) and despite trying to reduce budgets for gifts it really adds up, well over £30 so far this month.

made the mistake of starting to think about Christmas too probably explains the :eek: feeling.

Should be an NSD today, can manage till Mon/Tues for Mr T shop online.

hope everyone else doing Ok

Smetf
    Emergency fund 10k Holiday/ home fund 5k
      Mortgage £63666.87
  • fizzel81
    fizzel81 Posts: 1,623 Forumite
    Options
    im in please done so well last few months

this month can i be put down for £150.00 please

fI
    DFW nerd club number 039 :p 'Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts' :money: i will be debt free aug 2010

2008 live on 4k +cb £6,247.98/£6282.80 :T
    sealed pot 2670g
    2009 target £4k + cb £643.89:eek: /£6412.80
  • gillaman
    Options
    Having got my big shop of the month over I shouldn't have to shop again until I run out of f&v and milk - next week sometime. I always check the whoopsies but Mr A never has anything I like and they don't have many anyway. I think they rely on low prices rather than whoopsies and BOGOFFs. Could have a look in Mr M round the corner, but going to one supermarket is enough stress for me without trudging round to more. Keeping my totals down and shopping more carefully now so not going to worry too much.

As you thought Mrs M the bread turned out really well. In the end I didn't panic too much as I had read somewhere (years ago) that long slow proving can make a better loaf. I used half wholemeal and half white flour but in my rush forgot the sesame seeds I wanted to add. Once it was finally baked I cut it into thirds, froze two and kept one in the cupboard - couldn't resist having two slices late last night though with raspberry jam.

Made spag bol last night with Mr A's veggie mince, padded out with mushrooms. Have frozen two portions. No idea what to cook tonight as tum is out of sorts.
    Dec GC £100/76.61/16.46/10.19 - £103.26
    Jan GC £100/64.20/20.91 (£14.89 left)
  • superstottie
    Options
    Well not sure how the budget is going to do over the weekend as I have just found out that I will have 5 adults and 7 kids for tea tomorrow night and then 4 adults and 6 kids for the whole weekend! Think I need to hit the kitchen and start baking and cooking! Thinking of making a huge Lasagna and some HM garlic bread and maybe a few potato wedges for the unadventurous ones! Will go and make loads of biscuits and cake now just to keep everyone going. Not really what I need as I am doing a 6 mile sponsored midnight walk tomorrow night so I am going to be shattered! Just glad I have loads of baking stuff in!
    GC Sept - £147.75/£280
    2 Adults, four kids, 3 Gerbils, [strike]6 Fish[/strike]! Down to 5 - well I suppose its one way of saving money!!
  • puss14
    puss14 Posts: 310 Forumite
    Options
    Today spent $57 for groceries. Quite pleased though as I got a lot of organic products and specials and didn't buy any junk:T So 305.50 left and am hoping to be well under my budget at end of month, fingers crossed:rotfl:
    Thailand 3010/15000 2015
  • scotrae
    scotrae Posts: 588 Forumite
    Options
    Can I just check that we DO include toiletries and cleaning products etc with this? I've just been clever at Boots with hubby's very expensive shampoo/cond (he insists on the 'full & thick' Pantene, although he's fighting a losing battle).
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    scotrae wrote: »
    Can I just check that we DO include toiletries and cleaning products etc with this? I've just been clever at Boots with hubby's very expensive shampoo/cond (he insists on the 'full & thick' Pantene, although he's fighting a losing battle).

you can include what you like in your budget; do whatever suits you best and as long as you are consistent each month it will be fine.

I needed to keep a really tight rein on my spending when I started so I included all food including take outs + cleaning/laundry/toiletries (I don't have take outs often!) ;)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • egon
    egon Posts: 439 Forumite
    Options
    Done a shop in Mr M today. They have Muellerice/Corner and light on offer 10 for £2. Yes, you can mix them up!!! Also Munch Bunch Fromage Frais for 50p. And Nestle Cluster on BOGOF.

Lidl has from next week Charmin toilet paper 24 pack on offer for £6.49, it works out 27p a roll.

I am still having an issue with my MrT delivery from Tuesday. I had to phone them again today, as the promotional savings (£26.89) haven't been taking off the bill. So, they owe me a bit off money, plus all the stuff I had returned.

We are having spicy tomato and lentil soup tonight. First try, but it sounded yummy and I can freeze it.

Edited: Can anyone please tell me, what Oatmeal is, and where I can find it? Some recipes asking for it.
    I wish Germany had a website like moneysavingexpert!
  • russetred
    russetred Posts: 1,334 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oatmeal is finely ground oats, kinda sugar grain size.You usually find packs of it in the cereal aisle beside the porridge oats.It can be used as a coating like breadcrumbs or an ingredient in skirlie or white pudding.
    "Sometimes life sucks....but the alternative is unacceptable."
  • searching_me
    searching_me Posts: 18,414 Forumite
    Options
    Well ive offically have lost track of my spending and i have about £20bob to last me til next saturday and i mean thats the last of my money :( honestly i wanna cry...but i have alot of food in the freezer well enough to last the next week and a half and enough for lunchs for work for me... i still cant believe i let myself get like this so i writing everything i spend from the first day of september to the last wanna see where im going so wrong... i get paid on the 13th so lets see hope your all doing good and are better then me x
    :)Still searching .....:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport