PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

September 2008 Grocery Challenge. Please read first two posts.

Options

Comments

• rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Phoolgrrrl wrote: »
    ..The chicken is already cooked, if I put the whole chicken in the oven to reheat it would it be ok to use meat left on the chicken for risotto/fried rice tomorrow? Or should I carve the chicken before reheating? ..

I'd take off what you want for risotto before you reheat it again. I usually only reheat chicken once, that includes using it in another recipe hth
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • Phoolgrrrl
    Options
    Thanks, I thought that would be best. If any left from what I heat tonight it will be lunch!
  • scotsaver
    Options
    Evening everyone - not been able to log on since Friday but been to Sainsbury's today so updated my total. Have to be quick as I'm dishing up Dinner in a few mins - we had Roast Chicken yesterday so tonight we are having soup made from the Carcass and then Chicken Pie with Salad Potatoes, Peas & Sweetcorn. Pudding is Sainsburys Ice Cream as it was Half Price this morning at £1 a tub.:D

Have a good night everyone.;)
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• ifonlyitwaseasier
    Options
    evening all,

small spend of 36p today on a diet coke, needed the caffeine.

i think OH is likely to spend a couple of quid later but i'll add that on tomorrow, i think i've blown it this month, but i have plenty in so if we go a couple of quid over i'm not too worried, and i have sooooooo much loo roll it'll last till xmas! (i hope)

:-)

ioiwe x
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• redbaileys
    Options
    hi all. just popped to ALDI-first time i've ever been there! looks like i been missing out! was amazed at some of there prices - red grapes 69p for 500g!! I usually pay at least treble that in tesco lol. anyway updating my sig - its my 1st day of the month today and got some bits coming from tesco on wed and i'm hoping i wont need to spend too much more after that cos have loads in my freezer
    Money-Saving Challenge: total of £3000 needed by May next year :think: Total so far: £450
    september grocery challenge (from 15th-14th £34.62/£150
  • echelon101
    Options
    Went to do my weekly shop

Sainsburies = £8.15
    Tescos = £2.87

Although it was under my budget I was a bit annoyed I spent more than £10 (£11.02), but then again I did buy 500ml of Ground nut oil which will last me.

Also made the error of buying Special Mix veg instead of Regular (about a 20p difference).
    Buy for value not cost.
    Feb Grocery = £55.87 / 80
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Spent 30p on a punnet of Strawberries and some organic asparagus and have £2.70 (£52.70)left until the first.

Husband still does not know and really thinks that all we have left is £2.70 and not £52.70. Mind you I did work out that I spend £7 on stuff for my mum and then another £3 on rabbit food so technically I have only spent £37.30 of £40 (£90).

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • kymbogs
    kymbogs Posts: 538 Forumite
    Options
    Hi guys

haven't been around much lately though I have been keeping an eye on you all :)

Hard to believe we're only halfway through September but my 'October' grocery month will be starting on Thursday! And looks like we're going to come in well under budget for September. I won't reduce my budget too much for October though as I have a lot of store-cupboard things to stock up on and want to get some things in preparation for christmas gift baking etc.

My breadmaker came today and I love it! It doesn't make a 2lb loaf, just a 1lb or 1.5lb so I made 2 x 1lb loaves and they are the most gorgeous little perfect square things.

I've been doing my online shop to be delivered on Thursday and am buying bread flour instead of mixes. I'm getting Tesco's own for the white and Dove's farm for the wholemeal, at 70p for a 1.5kg bag it's cheaper than Tesco's own wholemeal. What does everyone else recommend for home-made bread?

Hope everyone is well

Kimberley x
    :heartpulsSpoiling my two baby girls with love - it's free and it's fun!:heartpuls

I'm not very good at succinct. Why say something in 10 words when 100 will do?
  • Julimk
    Julimk Posts: 349 Forumite
    Options
    I've updated my sig. Half way through the month & less than half my budget spent!

DD is a bit awkward with her packed lunches as she doesn't eat sandwiches/rolls etc, doesn't like pastry so no pasties or quiche etc. Sent her in with a HM cheese salad today & she ate it all! Also made up some little pots of jelly with fruit in (work out at less than 10p each).

I have bought a lunch-bag for me (£4 in Mr T) it holds 3 of the Mr T value 0.6L storage pots (c. £1.40 for 3 I think, I have loads anyway) stacked on top of each other like a tiffin box.

Still had a bit of cooked gammon joint in; trimmed it square & sliced & froze the square slices with a bit of greaseproof paper in between slices, so didn't stick together. And the trimmings went into a quiche for my packed lunch.

I have been so inspired by all the ideas on here & in other OS threads. I am sure that I will come in well under budget this month & can then slash it next month. Thanks to everyone for the support.

Juli
  • mollymunchkin
    Options
    kymbogs wrote: »
    What does everyone else recommend for home-made bread?
    I really like Lidl bread flour, only about 38p a bag.
    Cos I don't shine if you don't shine.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family