PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

September 2008 Grocery Challenge. Please read first two posts.

Options

Comments

• egon
    egon Posts: 439 Forumite
    Options
    MRSMCAWBER wrote: »

EGON -if you are interested -let me know, I can always pick you one up (whilst they have them-which won't be long at that price)and you can collect it at xmas ;)

No thank you. I would love one , but not right now, as we are still awaiting to here, if DH is getting the job in NZ. So, I am not allowed to buy any gadgets, until we know. (Which can still be awhile(sp?)).:rolleyes:

MrsM Lidl have Nescafe Original on offer 200g jar for £3. Let me know, how much I need to load up the car. :D

NSD's since Friday. I am hoping not to need to go to the shops until Thursday, if the milk lasts.

PS: I have 1/2 jar of red pesto left over, what can I do with it???

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Money saving Diva
    Egon, do you use any of those comparison sites for shopping? There are several, I use one and you fill your basket as normal (say from Tescos) and then they tell you if it would be cheaper in Asda or Morrisons or sainsburys. You can then just print the list off to take shopping with you if you don't want to order online or they transfer it over to the supermarket of your choice so you can check out your trolley.
    Yep, I do use them, but MrT is always the cheapest. (Asda is usually £10 more). The rest I buy in Lidl and Morrisons. Not sure, why this is.

i think, I will be going back to doing 1 monthly MrT delivery, and then top up each week. This seem to be the best way for us.

Egon
    I wish Germany had a website like moneysavingexpert!
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    Hello! Can I remind anyone who might not have seen these of the New Guidelines for the Grocery Challenge ;)

Thanks, Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • Flylady_Flower
    Options
    Oooh, really weird - no quotes when I hit reply???? what with that and buttons going wonky - everything OK out there in IT world????

Anyway, EGON, It's really strange, but whenever I do a shop via mysupermarket, Asda always come out cheaper. Is it because when I do the comparisons, I change some of their options? I know most people say Mr T's comes out cheaper, but honestly, it never has for me.
    LBM April 2013 - £29,000.00
    Vanquis CC's PAID - Debenhams SC PAID - A+L OD PAID - Asda CC £783.75
    Barclaycard CC £1400.78 - BoS CC PAID - Freemans Cat PAID
    F/D Loan & CC £1458.96 - Santander Loan PAID - Mum Loan PAID
    RBS OD PAID - F/D OD £1026.52
    Weekly Grocery Challenge - £95.00 budget / spend £-
  • FairyElephant_2
    Options
    A good weekend as regards spending - NSD's on Fri and Sat, due to being caught up in DIY - which didn't go well. Putting together & fixing up a couple of single wardrobes and overbed cabinets between them SHOULD HAVE been a quick and easy job....(I knew the walls weren't straight in my house, but had no idea the floors & ceilings were so far out of true)...but ended up in DH & I having a flaming row or two, and they are STILL not finished! Would have been a NSD yesterday as well but at 9.30pm we admitted defeat and went to the pub - LOL! Normally we are so good at these little projects too.....

Back on track - I've got £28.99 left in my budget this month. 2 shops planned to do, and if I only buy what is on my lists and have got my prices right then I'll be .....Drum roll.... 83p overspent!

Another good baking day yesterday - along with the roast, while the oven was on I did another apple & rhubarb crumble (fruit from MIL's garden) and some fruity fairy cakes for DH to take to work in his packed lunches. :j Have some more apples (fallers) to cook down into apple sauce for the freezer tonight. Discovered that MIL keeps leaving them on the ground for a few days and then pitches them straight into the compost :eek: - DH says she's never liked any fruit or veg which doesn't 'look perfect' - aaarrgghhh!:eek:

Wish I'd known this for the last 5 years.....
    The best advice you can give your children: "Take responsibility for your own actions...and always Read the Small Print!"
    ..."Mind yer a*se on the step!"
    TTC with FI - RIP my 2 MC Angels - 3rd full ICSI starts May/June 2009 - BFP!!! Please let it be 'third time lucky'..... EDD 7th March 2010.
  • findingmyfeet
    Options
    afternoon all,
    well spent another £9.53 in aldi yesterday on bits we had run out off. Desparate to keep shopping trips to a minimum and reduce the petrol bill but nobody tells me when they have used the last bit of ...whatever!! That drives me crackers. NSD today very rare for me but trying my best.

cant remember who said they are stock piling charmin loo rolls but im doing the same but home bargins own brand. got loads (my dh says im sad). Anyway just made millies cookies and fairy cakes just tortillas to get going and thats pack up sorted for the rest of the week. off to bring in the lovely dry washing done for free outside( another 3 loads saved on the eletric bill).

well bye for now
    fmf
    sealed pot member no :081:o 2011- £306.68 2012-£304.36 2013- £387.44 2014 - £441.43 ;)£482.30 2019 £655.58
  • KAAT_LADY
    KAAT_LADY Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Jacks_xxx wrote: »
    :wave: Anybody spotted any great special offers on teabags anywhere????

I've been staying away from the supermarkets and using everything up but the teabag situation is about to reach crisis point! :eek:

Love Jacks xxx :D
    Afternoon All

Jacks,,,,I get a catering bag of 1100 teabags for just over £3 at the nearest cash n carry,,They must be good as DH drinks it all day,,and says it tastes like tetley,,not bitter,,
    also get 36 loo rolls for £3.99 and they are very good not loose with big middles at all..
    get kitchen rolls 24 for £3,99 and are very good,,better than (bounce??)
    I am off now to make mango chutney to use the apples we have ,,,I may make iced buns while I am in the mood,,have to make bread anyway,
    I think I may make it inside my limit this month ,,as I only have a week to go
    two nsd's for me so far this week..

See you soon

KAAT xx
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• Money_saving_Diva_2
    Options
    KAAT_LADY wrote: »
    Sorry MSDiva,,, thought I would give you a rest ..do you have one for red tom chutney

See you later

KAAT xxx

*laughs*. You just know I have!!! OK, I will post it here and that will be my post for the day so I don't clutter up the thread too much.

Hope everyone is having a great day - we had to do a top up shop today so have adjusted my siggy accordingly.

2 lbs tomatoes
    3 large onions
    pinch salt
    1/2 pint malt vinegar
    1 lb sugar
    1 1/2 tablespoons plain flour
    1 tablespoon mustard powder
    1 tablespoon curry powder
    1 finely chopped chilli
    • Peel and chop the tomatoes and finely chop the onions. Place both into a large colander and sprinkle with salt. Leave for a few hours to drain off the liquid.
    • Put the tomatoes and onions with the chilli (if using)in a saucepan and add three quarters of the malt vinegar and boil for five minutes. Stir in the sugar.
    • Meanwhile blend the flour, mustard powder, curry power, into a smooth paste with the remaining malt vinegar.
    • Add the paste to the pan and simmer gently for one to one and a half hours. To test whether the chutney has reached the required consistency, draw a wooden spoon through the mixture, it will leave a clean path with no free liquid showing.
    • Decant into warm jars. This tastes better if you keep it for a couple of months before eating.
    Oh and to the Birds (bigbird) and the Bees (chuckles) I am in Devon too, near Torbay!

Diva.x
    To be frugal, you need to spend money wisely, simply spending less is not enough.
    If you can't handle me at my worst then you don't deserve me at my best...
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I will try again tomorrow.
  • Phoolgrrrl
    Options
    Well we got 2 of the £10 deals at M&S yeaterday, gammon, chicken and veg deserts and wine. Chicken is biggest on shelf, should have been £5.34 will do us 2/3 dinners and at least 1 lunch I think. Gammon was for me to try really, OH really likes it. If I don't he will have it in his lunch next week as it's good till the 24th. Plus deserts will do us prob 4 nights!

The chicken is already cooked, if I put the whole chicken in the oven to reheat it would it be ok to use meat left on the chicken for risotto/fried rice tomorrow? Or should I carve the chicken before reheating?

Thanks
  • mama67
    mama67 Posts: 1,367 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Oooh, really weird - no quotes when I hit reply???? what with that and buttons going wonky - everything OK out there in IT world????

Anyway, EGON, It's really strange, but whenever I do a shop via mysupermarket, Asda always come out cheaper. Is it because when I do the comparisons, I change some of their options? I know most people say Mr T's comes out cheaper, but honestly, it never has for me.
    I find whichever supermarket I start off in comes out cheaper. I also think alot depends on what you are actually buying, and who has what deals at the time as you might well change brand because of these.
    My self & hubby; 2 sons (28 & 25). Now also a daughter (36). Eldest son has his own house with partner & her 2 children (10 & 8)
    Youngest looking to buy a house end of 2024.
    Daughter married with 3 boys (11, 8 & 4).
    My mother always served up leftovers we never knew what the original meal was. - Tracey Ulman
  • jackk_2
    jackk_2 Posts: 288 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I had to go to Asda to top up a few things, so i'm updating my sig. Also whilst there i noticed that they have Bachalors super noodles and savoury rice @ 5 for £1.

Jackie x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport