Advice on buying multi Fuel Stove

Options
15678911»

Comments

• marcogrape
    Options
    Thought it was about time to restart this thread :)

Has anyone experience of either Dean Forge or FDC stoves? I've been recommended Dean Forge Dartmoor wide and FDC 5kw wide but notice neither have been mentioned so far, and have no idea if one is better than the other.

Any help appreciated
    Thanks
  • badgersarebold
    Options
    Me again. Went and saw yet another stove showroom today.

This one seemed very professional and thorough. He showed me examples of orders and he is the first person to provide detailed drawings of what the fireplace will look like, the dimensions, and to say that he talks to the builder directly to make sure that everything is done exactly how it should be. He is personally coming to do the site visit and says it will take about an hour and a half to make sure we get all the details right.

However, he only stocks certain makes, all expensive... but while we were there I saw the new Town and Country Rosedale. I love the look of it (slightly curved glass, large window, minimal styling) but I've not come across anyone recommending Town and Country before. Are they worth the money?

Also, the nominal heat output (7.5 kw) is at the very top end of what we want. Anyone know if this stove would be efficient operating at below max capacity some of the time? Or should we look for a smaller one and rely on the ch to do more when it gets really cold.
    We have had a Town & Country Rosedale stove for the past year, and absolutely love it! Our fire was supplied by Sandpits Heating of Curry Rivel in Somerset, who did a very professional job of fitting, and from day one, we have enjoyed the best fires ever. It does not need to be running at full heat to give great results: a great looking stove, producing an authentic real fire; minimal mess, and a warm cosy room. Could not be more pleased with our Rosedale stove.
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,853 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Anyone smell processed pork in a can?
  • zaphy42
    Options
    Hi we are thinking of having one installed but I've read Town & Country customer service is poor (reviews left on What Stove and that fire bricks break easily (within a year or few months) Dilemma is we wanted contemporary and British made Stove that will last and we can easily get replacement parts for, but if the guarantee is not worth the paper its written on and customer service is poor then is it worth the risk??? At £1216 plus installation costs (double again) its an expensive item to get wrong. I would be grateful if anyone can share experience of the Rosedale stove or Town & Country customer service. Thanks in anticipation.
  • bambos
    bambos Posts: 284 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Thought I would regenerate the old thread with some questions. We are having a garden room built with a glass roof. We would like a woodburner installed and will need a flue. It's has to be 4kw according to the calculator online and we have approx £1,000 to buy our stove and flue and have it installed. Can anyone recommend a good 4kw stove that's within our budget? Roughly how much are we looking at to buy the flue and have it installed?
    House renovation savings £25,000/£25,000
    Emergency fund £1000

When you hit rock bottom the only way is up!

If you believe in yourself you can climb mountains
  • wrightk
    wrightk Posts: 975 Forumite
    Options
    IMO the most important thing aside from the safety of the flue and whether or not you need a liner and what type etc is making sure you get an appropriate stove output to match the room its being put in.

Stoves work at their peak efficiency (which is still only 70-80% on most stoves depending on fuel source) when ran hard. The difference between gas and solid fuel is you have very little control over a solid fuel fires heat when its running at full whack.
    Whoever put in the stove in our kitchen obviously didn't understand this and have an oversized stove which can be uncomfortable even in the depths of winter (shorts and t shirt stuff)

Another point about a few comments regarding back boilers. There is nothing wrong with having a back boiler installed as long as it is connected to a properly plumbed system by an installer who knows how to plumb in solid fuel systems correctly
    We have had several issues with our solid fuel system due to gas plumbers plumbing in the system completely incorrectly and dangerously. It all got replumbed entirely before christmas for the third time and is now safe and efficiently running 8 radiators plus a heat sink backup. If the system is running all day its costing around £3.50-£4.50 to provide heating and domestic hot water all day, not too bad but then again not as cheap as people such as stove salesmen would have you believe!
    Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day, and for once I'm inclined to believe Withnail is right. We are indeed drifting into the arena of the unwell.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure