Advice on buying multi Fuel Stove

Options

Comments

• Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 20 October 2013 at 5:53PM
    Options
    I'd just use it for heating and not tie it in. It is perfectly possible to tie it in but it will cost a fair bit to install if you do.

No you can't run a stove with a dry boiler. Well you can, but the boiler will distort and possibly burn through.
  • muckybutt
    muckybutt Posts: 3,761 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Running a boiler stove dry is a sure fire way to wreck the boiler part of it big time !

As far as linking in to a pressurised system goes it is do-able but you will need a plumber with experience in linking the two systems.

You can now get stoves that can connect directly to pressurised systems, the most common option though is to fit a Dunsley neutraliser or a H2 panel, price wise I was recently quoted £800 to fit a H2 panel into our sealed system the panel being £500.
    You may click thanks if you found my advice useful
  • Dieselman
    Dieselman Posts: 100 Forumite
    Options
    This stove is a Villager steel bodied stove made in the UK with a cast iron door.

I bought steel stove over cast iron as the steel heats up much faster but also loses it's heat when the fire has burnt out quicker.

The cast iron heats up slower but retains it's heat for longer.

The reason i bought the steel was i work shifts so coming home at night at 7 pm i want a hot fire for 3 hrs and a hot room and not have to wait longer for the cast iron to get to temperature.

Its swings and roundabouts it's your choice what you get i bought a British stove for i want parts in ten years can't say i will with a hong kong import.:rotfl:
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi

Our Clearview burner has the option of retro-fitting a boiler unit if required but we haven't bothered (yet!) .... agree with the above post, ours is going on 20 years old and spares are easily available (if you would ever need them).

Regarding linking the stove into the current system, the normal way to achieve this would be to install a large multi-coil thermal store which, for example, could take 3 inputs for the central heating, a log burner & solar thermal and then output the stored energy further coils linked to the radiators or domestic hot water ... you would then have the ability to vary the heat-source mix as required, however, having the current combi-boiler starts to complicate the issue beyond what I would personally like to consider.

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • smallnsmiley
    Options
    Hi.

Sorry again to jump on this thread! Winding if anyone has any experience of v the fireline stoves? Went into our local showroom that set on a clearview and they tried selling me the fireline. At £400 cheaper its an attractive option but can only find limited reviews.

Many thanks for any help!
  • Skulls
    Skulls Posts: 369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    SCRIBES wrote: »
    I'm in the process of buying a Stove. I've narrowed it down to the most "efficient" apparentley.

Burley 1905 or the Harmoney 13, both have "new technology" fitted, has anyone had any experience of either of these?

Also looked at Aarrow Ecoburn 9 and Town & Country Rosedale.
    I have a Burley Hollywell,(905) with the cold air feed. Best stove I have used/owned. If I had this stove 7 years ago I would still have wood left from 4 years ago!
  • allyoops01
    Options
    Cant find a review for this british built multi fuel stove @12kw can anyone advise,its very well priced at 526 pounds delivered,
  • anglianman
    Options
    We have been recommended a Pevex stove by our local (long-established) dealer but I can find no reviews of them. Has anyone got experience? Chinese cast iron but the member of staff we spoke to said, other than casting not as 'crisp' in its decorative detailing as some (we are not concerned at that) they have found them good and she said her grandfather had had one for 10 years with no problems.

Any comments??
  • rosie-lee
    rosie-lee Posts: 1,134 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I drove myself round the bend trying to choose a stove. Wanted quite a modern look, rather than traditional, but didn't want to pay 'contemporary' prices for something that needs to be practical.

In the end we went for an Esse. We love it & other members of my family have been happy with theirs.

Definitely worth a look if your on the hunt and stumbled across this thread.
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,854 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    anglianman wrote: »
    We have been recommended a Pevex stove by our local (long-established) dealer but I can find no reviews of them. Has anyone got experience? Chinese cast iron but the member of staff we spoke to said, other than casting not as 'crisp' in its decorative detailing as some (we are not concerned at that) they have found them good and she said her grandfather had had one for 10 years with no problems.

Any comments??

Whatstove.co.uk has reviews of Pevex stoves.

Do bear in mind though that reviewers are self-selecting so tend to fall into two camps: 1/ Those with an axe to grind against the product 2/ Those unwilling to admit they could have bought more wisely.

Still... it's a start!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport