Great What/What Not to Buy at Lidl, Aldi and Netto Hunt

Options

Comments

• Chocmonster7
    Chocmonster7 Posts: 2,606 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've never seen the lemon ones of those cakes in my local store - my family are now addicted to the other flavours though!
  • Schamansky
    Schamansky Posts: 621 Forumite
    Options
    Trouble is, many products come in mixed cases, with stores having no influence on the composition of the case. People then prefer one variant over the others, snatch them up when they come in, and the store is left with the variants that don't go that fast. They can't reorder, though, before the whole case has gone low in stock.

Savvy Aldi shoppers know when a store has its delivery days, normally twice or three times a week on ambient stock (bread, produce and flowers daily), depending on how busy the store is. Speak to the store manager or the assistant manager, they'll let you know when it's a good day to snatch a certain item. Works with Lidl, too.
  • Schamansky
    Schamansky Posts: 621 Forumite
    Options
    Staroslav Czech lager is back, 89p for 500ml bottle.

Very nice brew.

And if you bring the empty bottles to Germany, every supermarket has to give you 8 Eurocent deposit back per bottle. :D. Am now renting a freight ship.
  • bobdauilda
    bobdauilda Posts: 791 Forumite
    Options
    Love their gourmet crisps at 79p for a big bag! Aldi
    Happiness is wanting what you have, not having what you want.

Primum non noce!
  • stamford
    stamford Posts: 5,175 Forumite
    Options
    Wernesgruner Pils Legende 5% 6 x 330ml Aldi bargain at £3.49. Brewed in a small place near Czech border
  • Chocmonster7
    Chocmonster7 Posts: 2,606 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Schamansky wrote: »
    Trouble is, many products come in mixed cases, with stores having no influence on the composition of the case. People then prefer one variant over the others, snatch them up when they come in, and the store is left with the variants that don't go that fast. They can't reorder, though, before the whole case has gone low in stock.

Savvy Aldi shoppers know when a store has its delivery days, normally twice or three times a week on ambient stock (bread, produce and flowers daily), depending on how busy the store is. Speak to the store manager or the assistant manager, they'll let you know when it's a good day to snatch a certain item. Works with Lidl, too.

I did speak to the Manager about the cakes (during a general chat while he was working on one of the tills) and he didn't even know they did versions other than the Chocolate & Tiramisu! Sadly he says they won't allow him to order other varients so, perhaps head office think we wouldn't like them. ;)
  • skintstudentbabe
    Options
    mark1024 wrote: »
    We buy 75 per cent of our food & drink from Lidl. Highly recommend:

Most of the veg, esp when they have special reductions
    wild rocket 69p
    spinach 59p
    ciabatta olive bread 49p
    premiere ice cream choc & cappichino 1.49
    lurpak 1.94 although was on offer for 1.49
    French Brie 74p
    parmigiano 1.85
    Route 66 (marmite) 1.29
    Grnd Coffee *2 2.29
    Honey 1.55
    Egg spaghetti 39p
    Bordeaux 2.64 (drinkable for the money)
    Paper hankerchiefs *16 99p

I was a bit put off the place at first, well its not waitrose, but our shopping bill has been slashed. Our branch doesn't have baskets but are quite relaxed about ppl loading up their own bags and then un-packing them onto the till. That way I always know I'm buying no more than my bag will carry.

Unfortunately there is no Aldi near us, but I do remember getting some great Belgium monestary style beer at one recently.

Cheers

i was in my local aldi recently having visited Sainsburys 1st (due to the fact tht i pass sainsburys on my way to aldi and needed some of their dee-vine red wine for cooking with) id used an aldi carrier bag to put my sainsburys purchases in as part of my drive to go green (+ the fact tht aldi carrier bags r 10x stronger than any other supermkt bag iv used) and wen i got to the till and was unloading my shopping the snooty nosed assistant started routing thru my bag of sainsburys stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!it was blatently obvious tht wat was in there was NOT from aldi!!!! i was not amused!its not like iv not spent a lot of money in aldi over the last 12 months!?! i do at least 70% of my grocery shop there and often visit the store at least 2x a week!!
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ...wen i got to the till and was unloading my shopping the snooty nosed assistant started routing thru my bag of sainsburys stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Since they don't provide baskets, a lot of customers in our store wander round putting their shopping straight into a carrier bag which they empty out when they get to the till - they probably had you down as one of those.
    Stompa
  • pulliptears
    pulliptears Posts: 14,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Lidl Iron Brew, exactly like Irn Bru only 39p a bottle!!
  • mollybilly_2
    Options
    Has anyone tried the bread mixes from lidl? They have a few different ones. I'm going to borrow the mil's bread maker this weekent before i splash out and buy my own, so was wondering what the mixes were like.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure