Great What/What Not to Buy at Lidl, Aldi and Netto Hunt

Options

Comments

• dfear
    dfear Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    This has become a big thread may be someone can spend some time and make a spreadsheet / table to summarise. rather going through 100s of comments.
    It will be easy to go through a chart.
    I know people will differ in opinion but again there will be some sure shot things that buy and what not to buy

i'll have a go at making one, should be ready by the end of the week.

i'll be using google spreadsheets, so it all be online and editable by all you good moneysaving people out there!.
  • melg1973
    melg1973 Posts: 207 Forumite
    Options
    We have a netto that backs onto a tesco so I try and get the best of both worlds.

Would specifically like to recommend the following:

Fresh Lasagne £1.99, huge and plenty of meat - would probably feed 3-4 but me and OH greedy!

15 slices of Ham (3 varieties) £1.49 - I have recently struggled to find cheap but nice ham, this one is fab.

Couldn't rely on Netto for a full shop though, often run out of veg etc. Also, they have several staff stocking the shelves when the the queues go half way down the shop as there is never more than 2 on the tills!:confused:
  • dfear
    dfear Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    I have started on the spreadsheet.

A view only version can be found at http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pHCaV-B4BFBEkVJyh1ceLAQ.

If you would like to be able to edit the spreadsheet, send me a PM with your email address or email me at [URL="mailto:mse-spreadsheet@dfear.info"]mse-spreadsheet@dfear.info[/URL]

the more people editing the spreadsheet the better.
  • ti1980
    ti1980 Posts: 1,528 Forumite
    Options
    Dfear, that reads so much easier than this loooong post! Thanks for taking the time out to construct that.

I have just revisited Aldi today after not being in one since at least 8 years ago.
    I think that the chocolate chip tear and share brioche is lovely and I can confirm that I won't be sharing this with anyone. :o

Also the Hyberry High Juice Blackcurrant Squash is really tasty. It is similar to Ribena and also the M&S Blackcurrant High Juice but is much cheaper than both of them.
    In the book the Supermarket Own Brand Guide the Aldi high juice scores a 9.
  • wookie_2
    wookie_2 Posts: 781 Forumite
    Options
    lidals xmas puds are the best. its a bit late but we bought several to eat during the year, long sell by dates on them as well mmmmmmmmmmmm:D
  • airevalley
    Options
    If I may make a suggestion with regard to the spreadsheet, would it be worth putting in a date field? Sometimes these supermarkets have limited time offers.
  • Violetta_2
    Violetta_2 Posts: 3,588 Forumite
    Options
    There was this summary (found it via the homepage) but it was published a year ago, no idea if it has been updated. I wont buy nappies or tin foil or freezer bags anywhere else but Lidl nowadays.
    Booo!!!
  • plzhelpmesave!
    plzhelpmesave! Posts: 1,313 Forumite
    Options
    does everyone know its up to 70% off fruit & veg at LIDL at the mo??
  • zappomatic
    zappomatic Posts: 616 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I second point3 on Lidl's Indian and Thai curries. I was amazed by how much chicken they contained, and the sauces are lovely and the rice just right. The jalfrezi also had lots of peppers and for Weight Watchers is only about 7.5 points (can't remember exactly how much).. Far better than anything else at that price point and give Waitrose and M&S a run for their money.

Recently took a black forest gateau into work for someone's birthday and people kept asking where it was from, same for the honey roasted peanuts and even the salt and vinegar chipsticks!
  • sleepali
    sleepali Posts: 248 Forumite
    Options
    Elise1 wrote: »
    Just discovered Lidl & can't believe the prices compared to my usual supermarket (Sainsburys) . Think that I will be visiting more regularly in future ...
    Can anyone let me know if the W5 non-bio washing powder is any good ? Especially interested if anyone with eczema/very sensitive skin has used it . currently use Ecover & this is costing us a fortune with 2 very young children in the house (one in washable nappies!) .
    Thanks

I have sensitive skin (eczema/psoriasis) and swear by the W5 washing powder, it does loads of washes and is really very good and doesn't seem to clog up the soap drawer as some other brands do.

Hope this helps?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport