Consumer Rights: MoneySavingExpert.com discussion

Options

Comments

• Art_2
    Art_2 Posts: 1,602 Forumite
    Options
    You have to open an entirely seperate webpage to find the information. i.e. You can go on the site, read the description of the offer, buy the product and nowhere would you see the exclusion. It's only when you are charged do you realise something is wrong.
    When I phoned M & S, they initially could not find the exclusion either.

I was under the impression that, by Law, the offer description has to be clear at the point of sale. Am I right?

It is your responsibility to read T&Cs before purchase. You could try writing to Stewart Rose the CEO of M&S. Maybe he will look sympathetically on your case.

Regards,
    Art.
  • tartanterra
    Options
    Art wrote: »
    It is your responsibility to read T&Cs before purchase. You could try writing to Stewart Rose the CEO of M&S. Maybe he will look sympathetically on your case.

Regards,
    Art.

Cheers Art, but I was more bothered that the T & C's were hidden. That's what's really wound me up.

I mean, what if someone doesn't notice they have not got the discount or is too reticent to phone up and ask for their money back? Surely this can't be right?
    Nothing is foolproof, as fools are so ingenious! :D
  • poblet
    Options
    Bought a car seat about 2 yrs ago when the laws changed. Chose one which would do up to age of 11 yrs. A part has broken off the headrest (polystyrene under head rest cover so important) Britax want me to pay for this replacement part.
    We feel this seat should last up to the point in which our child becomes 11 (or tall enough not to need one if earlier) how does the 'fit for purpose intended' apply? and length of time a product such as this should last do you think?
    Is it fair to expect a car seat with age range of 4-11yrs do last this length of time? we saw no warning on seat when bought saying will only last a few yrs.
    Having used Britax seats in the past (15 yrs as nanny) they've always outlived the length of use needed so I'm a bit miffed to have this problem when child is only 7 yrs old and this car seat is only 2 or 3yrs at the most.....

anyone got any advice?

Pob
  • Art_2
    Options
    poblet wrote: »
    Bought a car seat about 2 yrs ago when the laws changed. Chose one which would do up to age of 11 yrs. A part has broken off the headrest (polystyrene under head rest cover so important) Britax want me to pay for this replacement part.
    We feel this seat should last up to the point in which our child becomes 11 (or tall enough not to need one if earlier) how does the 'fit for purpose intended' apply? and length of time a product such as this should last do you think?
    Is it fair to expect a car seat with age range of 4-11yrs do last this length of time? we saw no warning on seat when bought saying will only last a few yrs.
    Having used Britax seats in the past (15 yrs as nanny) they've always outlived the length of use needed so I'm a bit miffed to have this problem when child is only 7 yrs old and this car seat is only 2 or 3yrs at the most.....

anyone got any advice?

Pob

I don't think Britax are being unreasonable in this situation. The faulty part and the age range are two separate issues. If a part is faulty it should be replaced ASAP for the child's safety. If you bought it at the time the law was changed it is over 2 years old. Pay up!

Regards,
    Art.
  • carolt
    carolt Posts: 8,531 Forumite
    Options
    Any advice?

Bought a pack of 4 portable phones from Robert Dyas 14 months ago. Now only 1 of the 4 works. Am I unreasonable in thinking Robert Dyas should replace them, as surely this is not a long enough life span for a new product?

Phoned RD - they said it was BT's responsibility - phoned BT, who surprise, surprise, said it was RD.

Who is right and how should I chase this up? :confused:
  • derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    carolt wrote: »
    Any advice?

Bought a pack of 4 portable phones from Robert Dyas 14 months ago. Now only 1 of the 4 works. Am I unreasonable in thinking Robert Dyas should replace them, as surely this is not a long enough life span for a new product?

Phoned RD - they said it was BT's responsibility - phoned BT, who surprise, surprise, said it was RD.

Who is right and how should I chase this up? :confused:

I would say that they should last longer than14 months, as you purchased from RD, they are who you have the contract with under Sale of Goods Act, (SoGA), not BT, so go back to RD and tell them you want them repairing or replacing under SoGA as not of "merchantable quality"

See BERR re SoGA
    Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Options
    poblet wrote: »
    Bought a car seat about 2 yrs ago when the laws changed. Chose one which would do up to age of 11 yrs. A part has broken off the headrest (polystyrene under head rest cover so important)

anyone got any advice?

Pob

Ours snapped , just repair with gaffer tap, it will not alter the safety aspect of the seat, its more to cushion the head which it will still do in an accident
  • Melissa25
    Options
    just a quick question which i'm hoping some of you lovely ppl might beable to help me with...
    10 days ago i brought a lovely woollen/angora jumper from miss selfridge. however on sunday night i put it in the wash - which as per the care instructions it said it could be machined washed on a 40 degree cycle which i did but it has shrunk majorly!!! now i can barely get my arms in and i can't breathe in it :(...i'm so upset and annoyed coz i loved it and only got to wear twice and it was the first time i had put it through a wash.
    do u think miss selfridge will offer me a refund/credit note/exchange or do you think they will say it's my fault?
  • Art_2
    Options
    Melissa25 wrote: »
    just a quick question which i'm hoping some of you lovely ppl might beable to help me with...
    10 days ago i brought a lovely woollen/angora jumper from miss selfridge. however on sunday night i put it in the wash - which as per the care instructions it said it could be machined washed on a 40 degree cycle which i did but it has shrunk majorly!!! now i can barely get my arms in and i can't breathe in it :(...i'm so upset and annoyed coz i loved it and only got to wear twice and it was the first time i had put it through a wash.
    do u think miss selfridge will offer me a refund/credit note/exchange or do you think they will say it's my fault?

If you followed the instructions for washing then you are entitled to a replacement or refund.

Take the garment back and tell them you are rejecting it as 'not fit for purpose'.

Regards,
    Art.
  • GlasgowGal
    Options
    Hi

Just wonder if anyone has any advice. I ordered a gents watch at end of Oct over the internet, received a receipt of order and order number. Called Customer Service the next day to check something and my order could not be found but told to call back in 3 days. I did and still could not find my order. Called/emailed twice more, no trace of order and advised to re-order. I did on 11 Nov, again received order number etc and emailed CS to ask them to look out for this new order. They replied that if they found two orders on their system they would let me know so I could cancel one of them.

Went to bank today to find account is overdrawn due to two payments being taken and I will be charged £70.00 bank charges as no overdraft facility on account. Called CS, they told me to wait until I received both watches and return one and they will refund me. When I asked about the bank charges they said no they could not refund these. I am waiting on a CS Manager to call me back. I tried to call our local Citizens Advice but they are not opened today. Between the bank charges and extra payment I am outstanding almost £175.00. I am not really in a position to wait for the watches to appear for a refund and also no way can afford £70.00 for bank charges which were not my fault. Are the company liable to pay my bank charges?

Any advice on where I stand would be most appreciated.

Regards
    :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family