Pet Insurance Cost Cutting System/MoneySavingExpert.com Discussion

Options

Comments

• 1Foxylady
    1Foxylady Posts: 150 Forumite
    Options
    maggie999 wrote: »
    More than isn't for life...it's just up to a certain amount per illness, (condition) so if you reach their limit for a certain illness after say 3 years..then you'll get no more.
    I changed over to AXA for just this reason. Luckily my dog was only 8 months old and had never needed to go to the vet yet.

So how much would you get each year towards the same condition with AXA?
  • maggie999
    maggie999 Posts: 109 Forumite
    Options
    Up to £7000 a year, every year. (period of insurance) But that's for any treatment.......so you can have bills for £7000 each year for life.
  • 1Foxylady
    Options
    maggie999 wrote: »
    Up to £700 a year, every year. (period of insurance) But that's for any treatment.......so you can have bills for £7000 each year for life.

Sorry for all the questions......

What if the dog had to have an operation which would cost £2500 in one go, would that be covered?
  • maggie999
    Options
    yes, you would need to pay the £50 excess and the insurance would cover the rest. You would then have £4500 left for vet fees that year.
  • hethmar
    hethmar Posts: 10,678 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Yes, on a for life policy, the pot is topped up every year to the limit shown. (Maggie meant £7k not £700 on her previous posting :))

Foxy, more than is not for life. But if you have already had a claim or even just been to the vet, those conditons and anything related will be excluded by a new insurer, so be careful. Thats why Im stuck with M and S which has virtually doubled its premiums and added an excess to the policy - sadly Id claimed for a skin condition and allergy tests on one of mine, so I cant move anywhere else now.
  • maggie999
    Options
    oops! yes. I meant £7000 (I edited the post)
  • 1Foxylady
    Options
    My dog has been to the vets to have a grass seed removed and she has had antibiotics for spots that she gets on her abdomen after she has been clipped.

Is it £7k total, or per each condition per year?

Do you think I should move to AXA or stay with more than having already had the above issues looked at?
  • hethmar
    Options
    Its £7k per year. Then it goes back to £7k the next year and so on.

A grass seed isnt a chronic condition. Not sure about those spots though if shes had them a few times? Ask your vet.
  • EVERYLITTLEHELPS
    Options
    hethmar wrote: »
    By the way, Direct Line and Sainsburys are NOT for life policies - though I know Sainsburys is thinking of doing one.

You would find that once you met your limit with Direct Line the arthritic condition would be excluded.

Yes you are right, though I have been claiming for it for 4 years now and am nowhere close to the £7000 limit, not even 10% of it.

I have had a quote from the post office which I am thinking about. £27 a month compared to my renewal of £42. Even excluding the tablets, I can buy those off ebay (half the vets price) and still save money. Unless DL are prepared to come down to keep my business then I will not be renewing!
  • hethmar
    Options
    But you wont be able to claim for pre existing conditions.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure