PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Getting to know you........

Options

Comments

• JAMIEDODGER
    JAMIEDODGER Posts: 4,339 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    hi there, im a single parent of 4, three boys 9,7,4 and girl 15months. my 4 year old is severely autistic so i am a full time carer for him. would like to go back to work when my youngest starts playschool...but need to find a very nice employer who will let me have the 14 weeks school holidays per year off (hmmm no chance methinks!)

i love scrapbooking and photography and am slowly but surely getting a money saving addiction!!

i go to nightschool once a week to do floristry...hopefully could turn this into a job at some point!!
    November NSD's - 7
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    hello,
    51, married with 2 daughters 15 and 9 (left it a bit late so number 2 will be on our hands for a long time yet). work long hours in the city but still like to cook from scratch in the evening because I think good food is the most important thing. Fairly safe bet I won't still be employed in the city by pension age so trying to stash the cash while I can
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • aurorahelios
    aurorahelios Posts: 376 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi, I'm in my early 30's and a SAHM. I live with my partner and our 21 Month old daughter. I'm staying at home for two reasons firstly, I want to enjoy as much time with my daughter as possible before she realises I'm not the centre of her universe and decides I'm uncool to be with. Secondly, I suffer from ill health which limits my ability to work.

I’ve always believed in looking after my money, but this site has taught me lots. Old style has become my favourite forum and I'm really getting into the cooking from scratch and shopping around.
  • najtaek
    najtaek Posts: 42 Forumite
    Options
    Another one joining in this fab thread.
    i am Jan and I am 49 headingg bravely towards the big 50th birthday.

I am divorced with 3 beautiful daughters aged 23, 21 and 19.

I also have a white dog called Joe and a black cat called Precious.

I am a Civil servant working as a training officer in Incapacity Benefit here in Northern Ireland.

I love this site so much but don't post too often as usually am reading other peoples posts in my breaks and lunch at work. Due to internet rules I am not allowed to join in chat forums at work so am doing this one from home.

I travel backwards and forwards to Edinburgh as OH lives there.
    I am hoping to move there one of these days but there is usually a crisis here that stops me from doing that.

The latest is that I am about to become a Granny in a few weeks and no way could I miss that event.

I am trying hard to save money by copying and using the wonderful ideas here in Old style.

keep up the good work and great to meet such a diverse and interesting bunch.
    if life deals you a lemon make lemonade
  • learning_to_save
    Options
    I am 26 and have been married since September last year, trying to sort out our finances before starting a family as I want to be able to stay at home for as long as possible with the children when we have them. We have two cats who take up enough time, we always thought cats were quite that's why we got them and not a dog. We were wrong about that one they always want to play!!

Work for a Local Authority in Human Resources, I have worked there for 9 years this August.

I enjoy cooking and reading this web site, as like many others I tend to read a lot more than post.
    Credit Card 1 - £2900, credit card 2 - £6020 (0%).
    Mortgage £84000 - 17 years left without overpayments.

Got to get organised, first credit card 1 £0/£2900
  • Aril
    Aril Posts: 1,877 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I am married with one son aged 7. I work part time tutoring in IT and skills for life [you might have seen the Gremlin ad!] I'm also on the school PTA and help out at Beavers so am fairly busy. Husband has unfortunately just been made redundant but we have set up a very small [and I mean small] business selling the dollshouse furniture he makes. We've just done our first show at Kensington. I'm naturally fairly careful with money [not mean though] and had been dropping in here anonymously for several months before I posted. I am so grateful to meet like minded people and am constantly picking up new ideas to try aswell as inspiration that we will be able to manage despite our changed financial circumstances so many thanks. I enjoy most things of a practical nature- sewing, cooking etc aswell as walking and being in the countryside.
    Regards
    Aiming for a life of elegant frugality wearing a new-to-me silk shirt rather than one of hair!
  • xxbutterflygirlxx
    Options
    I'm the wrong side of 35 with three girls of 5, 13 and 16 and I'm married. I did have a part time job for a few months but my time is much better spent at home doing family stuff. I have always been a bit of an old styler but only when it suits me! The slow cooker is my new best friend. I make / modify clothes and crochet (when I sit down long enough).
  • dell_2
    dell_2 Posts: 4,089 Forumite
    Options
    First post, although I've been in the background for a bit.

Tought I ought to tell you a bit about me before asking a question/favour! of you "old stylers"

Dell? Well it's my PC!
    36 (yikes), 36, divorced, 2 fab kids (13 & 10)
    Work in a B2B world - it's fun, been with the same company since I was 17

Oh, I'm a bloke!

Dont bother wasting your time on people who dont like you
  • johanne
    johanne Posts: 1,830 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    just thought id post bit about me..

im 19, still live at home with my parents and my little brother. I work full-time nights at Tesco - filling shelves and preparing the store for opening in the morning. Hoping to join the management training scheme in the next few weeks/months.

Found MSE when searching for tips on selling on ebay... made up though cos love finding ways to make/save money and budgeting etc and am presently starting to save to move out into my own place with my OH. So this place is wonderful!

Oh and didnt realise till id started posting.. my older sister is on here too! hehe (Username: nicki)
  • verynewmoneysaver
    Options
    I am a part-time nurse. I am 52, married with a 16 year old son. We have not been good with money up to now, but I have learned a lot on this site. I have taken out a 0% credit card to pay off a family loan and the overdraft, and I am learning to budget and save. Just shows its never too late! Now I just need to persuade my husband to moneysave!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure