PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Getting to know you........

Options

Comments

• super41
    super41 Posts: 245 Forumite
    Options
    After lurking for the last 18 months I've finally plucked up courage to post! I look at a few forums but Old Style is my favourite. I've picked up so many good tips and been inspired by what people have to say. I particularly like the fact that there are like-minded people out there who aren't so much into all the spending and consumer side of life. I like a lot of the traditional values which come through.

Since I had my little girl I've only worked part-time so money-saving had to happen. However I don't see spending less a great sacrifice as I get to spend time with her.

Looking forward to reading lots more of your great posts and perhaps even contributing myself!
  • elmer
    elmer Posts: 904 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi, Im elmer the patchwork elephant, I was a childrens bookseller for a long time which I loved, but we moved to rural scotland and it was too far to commute.

I now work for the local council part time and look after my wonderful children the rest, also my husband who daily battles PTSD and usually wins, but he finds it a struggle, and I try to help as much as I can.

I find this site inspiring, especially as we are trying to find a less stressful job for my husband which will prob mean less money

Thanks for all the help

Elmer xxxx
  • LondonDiva
    LondonDiva Posts: 3,011 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Isn't this a wonderful tread?

Hello I'm Diva & I'm addicted to smilies :)

I'm 27 & live in the centre of the universe that is London :D:D

I work for the NHS as a :oManager, which is interesting and challenging in equal parts. :think:

I'm on a massive money saving economising bender at the moment because I'm trying to save for a house deposit - I've even opened an Ebay account to try & flog off some of my accumulated junk (sorry vintage collectables) to have enough for my target of about next August to start looking for a place.

I tend to do a lot of lurking, but have to take the time to say that everyone on this site has been an inspiration in lots of different ways- some because they've been there & have survived and others because they're just getting on with it. It's really special to trust that people are prepared to take the time to answer the same question (many times!) no matter how stupid it may seem or to point you in a direction you hadn't thought about. Just being prepared to take the time is sometimes all it takes.

ok I feel a group hugggg moment passing by :D:D

Diva :D:D:D:D
    "This is a forum - not a support group. We do not "owe" anyone unconditional acceptance of their opinions."
  • emmaGDB
    emmaGDB Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    :hello:
    OMG I'm scared.
    I'm new to all this modern technology.
    I work full time, I have two young children(wish I could stay at home).
    Main goal in life:- to have the sink stay empty for more that 5 min.
    From emmaGDB
  • 2005CLAIRE
    2005CLAIRE Posts: 547 Forumite
    Options
    I have 3 sons (12, 10 and 3) who so far (cross fingers) haven't given me any grey hairs yet.
    Moved from North Wales aged 21 to London (10 years), now live in Leicester.

I buy and sell on eBay and have recently started making ankle bracelets - they have been selling very well and it keeps me out of trouble.

I enjoy going to see live bands - I have seen Marilyn Manson (twice), Erasure, Fine Young Cannibals (front row, Roland you were fantastic), Groundhogs etc.

I have saved SO much money after finding this web site-what would I do without the Tesco vouchers.

I am a Registered Childminder (school aged children)-previously I was a receptionist at various Casualty Departments in London and Midlands.

Favourite past time is eating Indian food with husband in Belgrave, Leicester.

I am petrified of dogs (don't even like looking at pics of them).
    All credit cards paid off.
    :j
    Catalogue £70
    Catalogue £69

Mortgage 77,647.40 minus approx 30k endowments.

Take each day as it comes - Don't panic - I WILL be mortgage free 1 day.
  • chickadee
    chickadee Posts: 1,447 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I'm another MSE addict, after discovering the website through buying the book.

I'm 37 and am mum to a 9-yr-old son. Live with partner and work full-time as a local government accountant.

Have always been thrifty (must be the accountant in me) but have learnt so much from this site.

My goal is to pay off the mortgage. Made a big dent in it after being made redundant last year (every cloud has a silver lining) but my aim is to do it in 5 years. Would love to have more time to spend with son and other half, grow veggies, decorate the house, make food from scratch, read books, etc. etc. but work (and recently study - have just completed a part-time MBA) have a habit of getting in the way!

Great to hear about the diverse lives of the other MSE-ers.

Chickadee
    Sealed Pot Challenge #8 £341.90
    Sealed Pot Challenge #9 £162.98
    Sealed Pot Challenge #10 £33.10
    Sealed Pot Challenge #11 Member #36
  • sarah1
    sarah1 Posts: 185 Forumite
    Options
    Hi i'm 32yrs old and live with my partner of 13yrs sometimes refer to him as hubby because even though were not married it feels like it, i feel too old to still call him a 'boyfriend'. :rolleyes: We have 2 westie dogs , a Brisish Blue cat and a new addition of 3 laying hens (they haven't layed an egg yet and i don't know if i can stomach eating one anyhow)
    I am a fabrications welder for my sins. Yes woman, Yes welder, and i only do it because the money is good. Like many people i wish that i had studied harder at school and not messed around.
    I'm into home grown fruit and veggies aswell as cooking from scratch. I find it very rewarding. ;)
    I've been a member for a few months now and i am addicted to moneysaving. I didn't think that i was particularly frivolous before joining but i do now. :eek:
    Moneysaving has completely changed the way look at things before i buy them.'' Do i really need it and can i live without it ???''
    I love car booting and selling my bargains on Ebay (332 points so far) and i have no idea how much money i have made doing it.. :j
  • Rebob
    Rebob Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Hi, I am Becca a 30 yo sahm. I have a hubby who it a plater welder, an 8 yo son and a potty white lurcher cross dog. Stay at home as ill health stops me working. Started to sell things on ebay last year to fund our hobby, camping. Been reading posts about a year an joined so I could put in my tow pennorth.
    The best bargains are priceless!!!!!!!!!! :T :T :T
  • sarahmelita
    sarahmelita Posts: 167 Forumite
    Options
    I'm Sarah, I work full time at a well known bank and am desperately saving to be able to buy somewhere to live. At the moment I'm living at my boyfriends parent's house, so am desperate to get somewhere of my own! I sell various bits and bobs on ebay to help my target - I need around £20,000 for a deposit, I have £3,600 at the moment, so still a fair way to go! This site has really helped me with my moneysaving, so thanks everyone!
  • Kitikat
    Kitikat Posts: 414 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone

I'm Kath and have only recently joined this fab site. I'm a 39 year old (40 next month) stay at home mum to a 7 year old and a nine year old. I work part time from home, spend a little time doing the housework and the rest of my time browsing this site.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure