PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Getting to know you........

Options

Comments

• Mrs_Thrift
    Mrs_Thrift Posts: 387 Forumite
    Options
    Oops, have forgotten to introduce myself. It's great "meeting" everyone else. :)

I changed from Ms Thrift to Mrs Thrift in September last year and Mr Thrift and I are currently enjoying married life, rediscovering our true thrifty ways (we used to shop on £10 a week, but had relaxed that a LOT! :eek: ) and saving up for holidays, work on the house and towards our medium term plan of retiring at 30!! (OK, so maybe that one won't quite work out - we have less than 3 years to go :rolleyes: ) Long term we'd also love a house in the countryside....and one in the Spanish mountains!
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Options
    Here I am, late as usual :o . I'm 53 (well nobody's perfect) and a part-time carer for my very elderly parents, having given up my lifelong (it felt like it) office job at the end of 2002, through taking the opportunity of voluntary redundancy with a reasonable pay-off.

No kids, just one remaining cat (17 and grumpy) and a hubby (58 and grumpy) who is still slaving at the grindstone but getting more and more fed up.

Ambition is to get enough dosh to secure our future and to enable him to take early retirement before it kills him. Hence the economiser streak - although tbh I've always been like that as I can't stand unnecessary extravagance or waste.

That's my nutshell. Boring, aren't I? :whistle: lol xx
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• dronid
    dronid Posts: 599 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    I am a 32 year old guy who's been on MSE for about 3 months. I work for the Local Authority and have a partner who is looking for work atthe moment though he's not having much luck as yet. Terribly impressed with the site and have saved so much money since I joined. And I thought I was frugal! Love cooking and since being a student I never pay over the odds for food and can manage to live very comfortably for about £150 per month for the two of us. Now planning a year in Thailand and so looking to save up before we go!

I could make it better myself at home. All I need is a small aubergine...

I moved to Liverpool for a better life.
    And goodness, it's turned out to be better and busier!
  • Rabbit
    Rabbit Posts: 146 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm 38 and a SAHM to daughter aged 9 (nearly 10 she says!). I really love being at home and doing the money saving bit. I used to work (banking/ accounts then admin) but find the quality of life far better for us all (husband, daughter and me) now I'm at home.

I suppose I am what you call "time rich, cash poor" LOL, but I love chasing the bargains and recycling old stuff into useable things and generally taking life slower. Having time to do all the lovely things like walk to school and look at things on the way etc.

This site is brilliant and I have got so much inspiration from you all, seems I'm not the only one who carries a calculator and price book around the shops! I also take with me my flask of tea and some snacks (I'm a terrible snacker) so it saves me a fortune!

I think this whole money saving thing is addictive too, I am trying the PMS challenge and it's amazing how the pennies mount up. I'm also trying to buy some organic things like meat and eggs and make savings elsewhere to compensate. I am having a go at growing some veggies this year, fingers crossed I get a good harvest.
    A penny saved is one you don't have to earn! :wave:
  • ET03
    ET03 Posts: 264 Forumite
    Options
    Hi
    I'm fairly new to this forum
    47 yrs old, one son of 27 who is disabled following an accident and I am his main carer,
    if he is well enough he goes to a centre for a few hours in the day,
    I have a freind with a business who employs me 60 hrs a month to do filing etc. allows me to choose my own hours so if son not too good I don't go in and when he well I do extra,
    can only get online from job but hoping to get comp at home soon

ETicon7.gif
  • tinytot_2
    tinytot_2 Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    ET03 wrote:
    Hi
    I'm fairly new to this forum
    47 yrs old, one son of 27 who is disabled following an accident and I am his main carer,
    if he is well enough he goes to a centre for a few hours in the day,
    I have a freind with a business who employs me 60 hrs a month to do filing etc. allows me to choose my own hours so if son not too good I don't go in and when he well I do extra,
    can only get online from job but hoping to get comp at home soon

ETicon7.gif

Oh I like your style ET, loosing years by the week :beer: I thought you said you were mid fifties to Judi a couple of weeks ago :confused:

I too have a "disabled" son, five going on six with growth problems. Unfortunately this means he is unable to walk much and so healthy eating is a priority with me but as money is scarce I enjoy looking here for ways of reducing my food bills.
  • AussieLass
    AussieLass Posts: 4,066 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hiya,

Been reading heaps of stuff on this site but have never posted before. I've never actually heard or seen Martin Lewis but stumbled upon this site by accident. It's so good. I am 45, have three kids 25,23 & 21. I have just turned a Granny in March. Hubby & I are coming to Scotland early next year to live for a few years so I need lots of info as by the sounds of it eveything is different. :eek: Been reading the power & gas section. We don't have any choices. Just one supplier, so yeah....it's going to be fun.
    Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia. ;)

• lifeslove
    lifeslove Posts: 348 Forumite
    Options
    I'm a 39 year old single mum (again) with kids aged 20, 16, 15, 2 and 1. I do a little auditing to bring some pennies in so I can spend it on whatever comes up on this board :D When I'm not working, washing, ironing, playing taxi, cooking or changing nappies I like to go to the gym so I can relax and regain my sanity :dance:
  • Westywoodpecker
    Westywoodpecker Posts: 6,512 Forumite
    Options
    Hi. I am a married mother of two boys aged 12 & 13 yrs. I'm dead proud of them both, especially my youngest who had childhood leukaemia. He was 2 1/2 when diagnosed & will be 13 in July :j I am a full time nurse & have just completed the conversion course this year promoting me from Enrolled nurse to Staff nurse.(said I'd do that years ago but only just got round to it!!!)
    Now thanks to Tommix & Queen Bear, now Lady Westy of Woodpecker :)
  • Downsizing__for_sanity
    Options
    Hi,

I was a "lurker" here for ages until I finally took the plunge and registered! I kinda realised that the folks on here made everyone welcome, without the cliquey-ness I've seen in some other forums (not on MSE, I hasten to add!).

I'm 27, married to a wonderful OH for the last 8 months. The reason I'm on here is because, although we have a very nice lifestyle on our two salaries, as we are in the Armed Forces we are living at opposite ends of the country. This means we see each other about every two weeks or more/less.

So although we have a nice house and cars etc, it's just not worth it if you don't get to spend time together to make it worthwhile. We have the bills for the car loans etc, and our struggle is to somehow manage to keep paying these off on just one salary. I didn't think it would be possible to do so, until I found MSE and specifically this site!! I can't wait to be a house spouse in 6 months, and am looking forward to growing our own veg and keeping a couple of hens!

DFS
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport