PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Getting to know you........

Options

Comments

• Chipps
    Chipps Posts: 1,550 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi,
    Stay at home Mum (45), home educating our youngest son who is 14. We also have a daughter (22 & expecting her 2nd baby in Aug) & another son (19) who was also home-educated.
    Apart from the obvious things involved in HEing, I also edit our church magazine, help out with children's clubs & spend more time than I should on MSE - more often lurking than posting! The trouble is, someone has always said what I would have done - and usually done it better than I would! The things I have learned on here are helping us to survive on one fairly low income: thank you!
  • Becles
    Becles Posts: 13,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I'm Mam to 2 boys aged 8 and 6.
    I'm self employed and do merchandising, auditing and mystery shopping work.
    I do volunteer work helping out at the local school.
    I'm an admin for another finance board.
    I'm planning my wedding for next Spring.
    I'm busy writing a some mystery shopping/merchandising web pages with free information as I'm sick of seeing people ripped off on ebay paying for info that can be found on the net for free.
    And somehow, I manage to find the time to post here :D
    Here I go again on my own....
  • tobit
    tobit Posts: 34 Forumite
    Options
    I'm 55 and a grandma, neither of which I can really believe. I'm divorced with two grown up children, both of whom live unconventional lives and are happy, nice-to-know people. I've been a 'green' person all my life and have to watch the pennies, which is no bad thing because it makes you appreciate what you have. Like others who've posted here I really value this site - so a big 'Thank you' to Martin. I work from home as a researcher, which I should be doing now. When I'm not working, or pottering in my garden, I go for long walks in the Derbyshire hills, which are right on my doorstep - or further afield. Lucky me. Thanks for meeting you all.
    Nice to save.
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Having read the above I think its wonderful, and thought i should join in

I'm Martin, 33 live in London.

I'm a full time Money Saving Expert/journalist, but am in awe of some of the contributions on the Old style board. My speciality is beating the system without cutting back, but I'm currently trying to teach myself more about thrift and the thrifty side of life, and old style is inspiring.

In life i'm a complete workaholic, I tend to do 7 days a week, with no more than two or three evenings a week not working at something. That of course doesn't do much for the love life, in the long run most girls tend not to be that impressed by a chap who pays more attention to the lap top than them (and that's all your getting on the love life - its the only time I've ever mentioned it here!). The only thing i do other than work tends to be going out dancing, which is my sport!

In terms of finances. I've been very lucky lucky. I've had a successful career and never struggled to get a job, and am now comfortable (that's the correct euphemism i think). I don't come from a rich background, but nor did we scrimp while growing up. After my mother died when I was twelve, my father brought my sister and I up while working as a headteacher at a small residential special school, which meant a 24 hour job for him and a stuggle to spend time with us.

And the thing I'm most proud of.... well being the conduit for bringing people together after reading the above takes a lot of beating!

Martin
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • Cullumpster
    Cullumpster Posts: 1,481 Forumite
    Options
    Hope your having a happy birthday Martin, like the hat it suits you ;)

I'm a 31yr old female
    Work full time as a freight and Shipping Administrator
    No children ..........yet (Dont tell the b/f though)
    Should be working and spend too much time on here (Don't tell the boss :o )
    Still have debts that i'm tring to pay off and b/f is now self employed, which isn't helping the pocket linings!

Love this site especially Old style and the Arms, thanks for all of your tips i have managed to save soo much money and spend it on a holiday that we're are off to in 6 weeks :j
  • maggie1976
    maggie1976 Posts: 97 Forumite
    Options
    Hello all,

I'm more of a lurker than a poster, but I thought I'd join in anyway. I'm 29, married to my DH who is 35 (ooh, older men lol!). I work in marketing but we're expecting our first baby in December (fingers crossed as it's still early days - 9 weeks). We're in Bristol but moving to Wales this summer to reduce DH's commute, and to a bigger house. We have 3 cats, one of whom we recently adopted but is settling in well.

I'm practising hard at the Old Style ways in preparation for when we go down to one salary. We went to a farm shop this weekend and spent yesterday cooking and freezing enough food to sink a ship so hopefully that'll last us a while. Especially as I'm feeling pretty bleurgh so cooking is not a priority!

Nice to 'meet' you all officially!

Maggie.
    Baby #1 due December '05 :)
  • Former_MSE_Andrea
    Options
    Great thread.

I worked as a Spanish and Italian>English translator for a national newspaper, then went freelance (doing Portuguese too) when I was made redundant. After a couple of years the work started drying up but by then I'd been living on this site for some time - so long that Martin offered me a job so I grabbed it quick.
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • ancasta_2
    ancasta_2 Posts: 951 Forumite
    Options
    Manager of an IT deptartment and have my own hairextenion and wig making business
    Hopefully soon to be a full time mother (when mr ancasta agrees the time is right)

No children as yet, 3 fish a hamster the size of a dog and a very hungry other half. i think he has hollow legs.
  • sce37
    sce37 Posts: 130 Forumite
    Options
    Part time civil servant (Pension Service), occasional project worker at drop in centre for Mind. Wife, mother (2 teenagers), and on my final year of a psychology degree with the Open University.
    I say what I like, I like what I say!
  • Quackers
    Quackers Posts: 10,157 Forumite
    Options
    Wow! Fabtastic Thread.

I am married with 2 girls aged 13 & 11.

Both me & hubby work full time.

I LOVE this site BUT am hopeless at saving money :rolleyes:
    I do really well for a while and then drift off to the shops to buy some shoes:D
    Sometimes it's important to work for that pot of gold...But other times it's essential to take time off and to make sure that your most important decision in the day simply consists of choosing which color to slide down on the rainbow...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure