Cheapest way to pay US dollar cheque into UK acc.

Options

Comments

• RichyRich
    RichyRich Posts: 2,090 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Auctionpix is genuine :D
    #145 Save £12k in 2016 Challenge: £12,062.62/£12,000.00 Beginning Balance: £5,027.78 CHALLENGE MET
    #060 Save £12k in 2017 Challenge: £11,03.70/£12,000.00 Beginning Balance: £12,976.79 Shortfall: £996.30:eek:
    This is the secret message.
  • the_mit
    Options
    I recently received a gift of $11,000 (cheque). Put it straight into a Nat West dollar account. Nat West took $53 for the privilege. I want to keep the money in dollars in the uk. Where do I go, what do I do?
  • darbooka
    darbooka Posts: 489 Forumite
    Options
    Have a look at the Citibank dollar account. See http://www.citibank.com/uk/personal/banking/
  • lincolnscot
    lincolnscot Posts: 69 Forumite
    Options
    Have just sent US dollar cheque to auctionchex for conversion to GBP will post results upon return of funds.

Hooray Auctionchex works

Posted the cheque on Saturday and received a Nat West cheque back on Thursday, cost were about £2 on a $45 dollar conversion.

Brilliant :j
  • IKENVIV
    Options
    I have someone from the UK that wants me to cash his checks and take a fee and send the rest via Western Union. Has anyone ever had to do that in their dealings with Business here? I suggested a Bank Account I have and I'm waiting for his response.
  • bengal-stripe
    Options
    IKENVIV wrote:
    I have someone from the UK that wants me to cash his checks and take a fee and send the rest via Western Union.
    It's a scam!
  • MrExample
    MrExample Posts: 77 Forumite
    Options
    Have just sent US dollar cheque to auctionchex for conversion to GBP will post results upon return of funds.

Hooray Auctionchex works

Posted the cheque on Saturday and received a Nat West cheque back on Thursday, cost were about £2 on a $45 dollar conversion.

Brilliant :j

How much did you actually end up with in pounds? Their quoted exchange rates seem awfully high.
  • the_mit
    the_mit Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    I Have $11,00 in a nat west account. I want to use those dollars on a holiday to the usa. Is there a bank I can transfer that money to who will then give me a bank card to access the dollars in the states. Or any other sugggestions?
  • inmypocketnottheirs
    Options
    the_mit wrote: »
    I Have $11,00 in a nat west account. I want to use those dollars on a holiday to the usa. Is there a bank I can transfer that money to who will then give me a bank card to access the dollars in the states. Or any other sugggestions?

Yep. Try https://www.citibank.co.uk. Open a stirling current account and a dollar account. You can then switch your visa debit card around between the accounts depending on which one you want to use.

HTH
    Don't lie, thieve, cheat or steal. The Government do not like the competition.
    The Lord Giveth and the Government Taketh Away.
    I'm sorry, I don't apologise. That's just the way I am. Homer (Simpson)
  • dazzalad
    Options
    boots_babe wrote: »
    I have a cheque for $10.26 which I tried to pay in to my bank (LloydsTSB). However, they told me that after charges the value paid into my account would be just 24p!!

I realise that banks have to charge something for this, but this really seems extortionate! I was wondering if anyone knows of a cheaper way to cash a US dollar cheque?

I am currently switching my current account to A&L so will check their charges, and will also check Smile as I have a current account with them too.

If there is no better way of doing it then I'll still pay it in, just as a point of principle if nothing else.

wat would happen if ya put a cheque ib for $1.5M in to a UK account?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure