Cheapest way to pay US dollar cheque into UK acc.

Options

Comments

• Walletwatch
    Walletwatch Posts: 1,055 Forumite
    Options
    Have myself deposited dollar checks into my Citibank sterling account, without any charges and have got a very decent exchange rate as well.
    It's always the grass that suffers, irrespective of whether the elephants are fighting or making love !!!
  • omega27
    omega27 Posts: 260 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have you looked at http://www.auctionpix.co.uk ? I believe they only charge 95p for as many cheques as you can send in an envelope.

Rgds,
    Ric :-)
  • deemy2004
    deemy2004 Posts: 6,201 Forumite
    Options
    Have myself deposited dollar checks into my Citibank sterling account, without any charges and have got a very decent exchange rate as well.

Was that a current or savings account ?
  • Walletwatch
    Options
    A sterling current account...
    It's always the grass that suffers, irrespective of whether the elephants are fighting or making love !!!
  • deemy2004
    deemy2004 Posts: 6,201 Forumite
    Options
    A sterling current account...

So you need to keep a minimum of £2k deposited across all your accounts, else they charge a monthly fee ?
  • Walletwatch
    Walletwatch Posts: 1,055 Forumite
    Options
    No, Deemy, no such requirement, but then I have my main current account (where I get my per diem inflows) with Citibank, so maybe they're cutting me some slack on such requirements....
  • monkeyspanner
    Options
    Found this on the ebay forum try http://www.auctionpix.co.uk/misc/money.html
    Looks like you need to set up an account and they thencharge 95p per batch of cheques. Seems too good to be true but good luck.
  • darbooka
    Options
    Probably more cost-efficient and speedy to have the person pay you by PayPal, which can be in various currencies including dollars, and then extract the amount directly to your bank account from PayPal.
  • arnold_2
    Options
    Citibank Direct Current account doesn't apply the £2k minimum.

If you open a dollar savings account, there is no minimum balance requirement and they cash dollar cheques free. Likewise for their euro savings account.

Arnold
  • beadysam
    beadysam Posts: 587 Forumite
    Options
    Is it an actual cheque or one of those "gift Cheques"? If its a gift cheque some high street travel agents will cash them for free or for a very small fee (pence).
    I've had a few of these cheques in the past for online surveys and I know others have had problems too, most use Auctionpix but I've never tried it myself...
    SAM xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport