Cheapest way to pay US dollar cheque into UK acc.

Options

Comments

• Damo1888
    Damo1888 Posts: 33 Forumite
    edited 14 August 2012 at 4:42PM
    Options
    Is Nationwide currently the cheapest (£6.50) for depositing a US cheque into a UK bank account?
  • bendee
    Options
    PeteW wrote: »
    Just spoke to First Direct, their fees are:

upto £250.00 in sterling value: flat fee £7.00
    over £250.00 sterling value: 0.5% (min £10.00, max £50.00)
    euro denominated cheques drawn outside the UK: flat fee of £7.00
    euro denominated cheques drawn within the UK: flat fee of £1.00.

How do you find out the First Direct exchange rates? Are they competitive?
  • graemev2
    Options
    PeteW wrote: »
    Asked Nationwide and they said the fee would be £6.50, or £20 for "higher value cheques" - but they couldn't tell me what the cut of point between the two was, "for security"! So I've no idea if they think $100 is high value, or $100,000… idiots!

Update: They've since told me that a $1000 cheque would have a fee of £6.50, so the limit must be over that.

I was reading this thread while waiting on the line for the nationwide ... I got the same answer ... and the girl on the phone said she'd had the same customer response before ...so all in all lots of time wasting ... I would have next asked what the rate was , but we were so far from a sensible conversation ... so if anyone did thsi, what rate did you get (e.g spot, tourist etc)
  • notacitifan
    Options
    Reading the notes below and having a dollar cheque to pay into a uk account, I also tried LTSB. Over a period of two weeks they waved it around and discussed it but didn't know what to do with it; so I took it back and tried to open a Citi account as suggested below. Now, 7 weeks after it started and several long phone calls later, I have given up as the opening of the account is no further forward. Today was the last straw when I was asked to start again, also being told that the Applications Team 'aren't customer facing'!
    If/when I get this sorted I'll post again, but please don't go to Citi unless you have the patience of a saint!
  • Robsia
    Robsia Posts: 37 Forumite
    Options
    ^try auctionchex. He does take his cut, but he's very prompt. And he was cheaper than LloydsTSB quoted me for the same cheque.
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,618 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    For smaller value cheques, bank fees are going to wipe out most of the money, so I always use auctionchex with no qualms.

For something with a higher value it's always worth shopping around.
  • cfw1994
    cfw1994 Posts: 1,884 Forumite
    Hung up my suit! First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Interesting!
    We have a cheque for over $4k, and speaking with Nationwide, it appears to be up to the branch whether they will even take it (& their discretion on charges!). They tried to speak with a branch, who told them it would depend. Although not what it would depend on! Could be £6.50 and paid within 5 days "if it is a negotiation cheque" (eh?!), or may be £20 and take up to 8 weeks !!

Bizarre. Poor girl couldn't tell me what a "negotiation check" was or meant.

Santander told me their cost would be 0.25% of the fee, with a minimum fee of £15 and a maximum of £65. A bit more professional (at least they had a direct answer!).
    I will drop into Nationwide (it is closer) first.....if it cannot be done for £6.50, I'll express my customer views and head to Santander!
    Plan for tomorrow, enjoy today!
  • bayzat
    bayzat Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    Citibank dollar savings account won't penalize you like Lloyd's
  • belfastgirl23
    Options
    Auctionchex have written to us to say that they can no longer accept dollar cheques :( I know the rates weren't great with them but it was a minimum hassle option.

I'm going to try the Nationwide again although they weren't helpful about this before. But if anyone can add any new suggestions, please do!

In any case I figured it was worth adding this as an update in case anyone else is still trying to find a solution to the same problem.
  • belfastgirl23
    Options
    Another update, the Nationwide now won't accept any dollar cheques for less than $250. Does anyone have any other ideas for cashing small value dollar cheques in the UK?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure