Cheapest way to pay US dollar cheque into UK acc.

Options

Comments

• nandrews
    nandrews Posts: 232 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It seems that saver account requires a current account set-up beforehand and that inturn requires £20k salery.
    So I am looking around again.

Nigel
  • powerone
    powerone Posts: 184 Forumite
    Options
    Lsat time I spoke to citibank they werent too concerned with a Salary as such. You might not be able to get a cheque book in Sterling with less than £2k going through the account though. Open either a Euro or dollar account then apply for a £ account online once things are working okay, ie you have online access.
  • efundz1
    efundz1 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    xiox wrote: »
    I'm going to resurrect this thread even more and say that it's actually free to cash US dollar cheques in a citibank pound sterling savings account - I opened a flexible saver. They even seemed to give me a good conversion rate!

Yes I have been looking around and their rate seems as close to the spot forex rates on xe.com, however can you say how long it took to have your check clear?

thanks
  • mico62
    mico62 Posts: 164 Forumite
    Options
    After finding this thread I'm just looking at opening a citibank account to pay in my child support collected by the american equivalent of the CSA.

I've read the small print and it says cheques must be crossed and/or have a/c payee on them if you're sending them by post. the cheque's got my name and address on it, do you think they'll accept it?

My only other option is to pay it into my current account but that'll cost me £10pw out of what's already a pittance.
  • xiox
    xiox Posts: 77 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    efundz1 wrote: »
    Yes I have been looking around and their rate seems as close to the spot forex rates on xe.com, however can you say how long it took to have your check clear?

thanks
    Sorry for the delay in replying. It was deposited 25th Feb, cleared on 16th March, so it's not very fast.
  • xiox
    Options
    mico62 wrote: »
    After finding this thread I'm just looking at opening a citibank account to pay in my child support collected by the american equivalent of the CSA.

I've read the small print and it says cheques must be crossed and/or have a/c payee on them if you're sending them by post. the cheque's got my name and address on it, do you think they'll accept it?
    Are you sure? Maybe you should ring them. Their website says the cheque should be endorsed by you before sending: http://www.citibank.co.uk/personal/banking/customerinfo/usingyouraccount/movingmoney/deposits.htm?merchant=citi#2
  • mico62
    Options
    Thanks xiox, I've just applied for an account
  • xiox
    Options
    nandrews wrote: »
    It seems that saver account requires a current account set-up beforehand and that inturn requires £20k salery.
    So I am looking around again.

Nigel
    I didn't need a citibank current account - I just have a normal current account. I can't remember any salary questions on application, but I'm not sure
  • mico62
    Options
    I applied and have been accepted for a flexible saver account earlier today and didn't need to open a current account, there were questions about employment and salary.
  • Naresh
    Naresh Posts: 31 Forumite
    edited 3 July 2011 at 8:12AM
    Options
    Hi,

From Sept 2011, Citi will be charging £5 for every non Sterling cheque deposited.

Possible relationship charge, but this has not been confirmed yet.

Does anyone know of any other Banks or ways to deposit small US Dollar cheques into a US Dollar account without incurring any charges or fees ?

Kind Regards
    Naresh
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family