We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Money Moral Dilemma. Would you keep the lottery ticket?

Options

Comments

• Pink_Fairy_2
    Pink_Fairy_2 Posts: 1,065 Forumite
    Options
    I couldn't keep it. I wouldn't be able to sleep with a clear conscience. No one can justify benefitting from someone else's misfortune and it's not as though you would not know it was hers.
    DMP mutual support thread No: 433 - Mortgage - £54,556, Credit cards - £4012, Unsecured loan - £3,376, Other - £419

Now isn't always!
    Major Stella Ward
    1928 - 2007

• adzya
    adzya Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    I would absolutely keep it... sorry, but unless she was a doddery old lady it's mine!
    I need it, its not purely a "I'll be laughing my !!! off on my private island, surrounded by hot models who are feeding me grapes" scenario, I have bills to pay, and need to make ends meet. I would donate a small amount from the interest on the millions. :rolleyes:
  • A.Jones
    A.Jones Posts: 508 Forumite
    Options
    If I did manage to catch up with her, I would crumple the ticket and say something like "Excuse me, do you usually drop litter in public?". If she tells me to **** ***, then you know that the ticket is litter, and that she doesn't want it. No need for a guilty conscience at all, as you know that she thinks it was just litter that she dropped.
  • warriorknits
    Options
    I couldn't keep it. I'm not saying that I couldn't use the extra money- I really could- but how do I know the woman and her husband don't need it even more? There is a credit crunch at the moment, after all. Even if they don't need it more than me, it's not my money. I'd just be stealing by keeping it.

Think about if the situation was reversed- wouldn't you want someone to run after you and give you the ticket if YOU'D won a lot of money? How would you feel if you found out they'd decided, even though they KNEW it was your ticket, to keep the money for themselves?

Besides, if she's won a lot of money, she might be so grateful she gives me a reward! :D
  • Mike_Shanley
    Options
    No way. Hand it back to her and wish her all the best.
  • robpw2
    robpw2 Posts: 14,044 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i woudl make an effort to find her but if i did not then i would have to admit i would cash it in

Slimming world start 28/01/2012 starting weight 21st 2.5lb current weight 17st 9-total loss 3st 7.5lb
    Slimmer of the month February , March ,April
  • hopelesscase!
    Options
    OMG! No way, it`s stealing simple as. Do unto others and all that...... Instant Karma`s gonna get you!:mad:
  • Chef1980uk
    Chef1980uk Posts: 226 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Honestly, i would keep it without a shadow of doubt. Its a form of gambling right up to the point where the cash is in your hands. I'd probably go check the numbers first privately though before handing it over as the person checking may also be a gambler and wonder why a jackpot winner would use the til to check the slip and just say "nope sorry not this time" etc

If your going to be careless then you deserve tough luck.
  • garden-cat
    Options
    My mother had a simple formula for things found in the street (or the lift). "Whoever it belongs to it does not belong to you."
  • jobbingmusician
    jobbingmusician Posts: 20,344 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    I wouldn't keep money if I saw her drop it - and I regard the ticket as virtually the same as money........

However, I think that although I would attempt to return a large sum of money if I found it on the street without knowing its owner, I would make considerably less effort to return a lottery ticket. I suppose that you might be able to verify the owner if they could prove where they bought it???????
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport