Money Moral Dilemma. Would you keep the lottery ticket?

Options

Comments

• brierleyparker
    Options
    ;) No I wouldn't keep the ticket. I didn't pay for it and it's not necessarily a case of finders keepers. I would give it back to the lady if she hadn't moved off too quickly. Failing that I would take it to the police station, where, if not claimed, it would become my property after a given period of time. I think I am right in saying that if the lady can prove that she made the purchase of the ticket to the lottery organizers then they will pay her out on the last valid day for claiming or before if the ticket hasn't already been paid out.
    Nothing good ever comes from lying and cheating.icon14.gif
  • sugarplumb_2
    Options
    Although I would like to belive I would return the ticket. I know in my heart of hearts if I could pick it up without being seen and get away with it. I would. I'd feel guilty but I could live with that!
  • blufink
    blufink Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    If it was a £10 winner I'd return it. If was a jackpot win, I'd keep it.
  • robpw2
    robpw2 Posts: 14,044 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    what a load of tosh about it being stealing.
    Its a piece of paper with printed numbers on anyone can buy and it is not unique to any individual.
    I would as i have said before make an effort to find said women but if the ticket is not filled in with her details then once she has gone from vicinity then i have no-way of finding her.
    I would not if i had lost my lottery ticket go to the police station to see if anyone had handed it in as i know most people would keep it and i would not have any proof it was mine.

if this was not a winning lottery ticket or you were not made aware of its win then again if you were to pick it up then you would be preventing this lady littering.

karma may play but what if you finding the jackpot win is good karma and this women losing the ticket is karma paying her back for something bad she had done.

i would cash it and then make a donation to charity !

Slimming world start 28/01/2012 starting weight 21st 2.5lb current weight 17st 9-total loss 3st 7.5lb
    Slimmer of the month February , March ,April
  • bigpat
    bigpat Posts: 328 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Terri1971 wrote: »
    I would be totally honest and keep the ticket, my mortgage with Northern Rock has increased by £480 a month, I am in arrears and I have several utility companies on my back for money.
    I am in negative equity, cant re-mortgage , though God only knows I have tried!
    However I would give some of the money to charity. If you have a winning lottery ticket, you look after it! Don`t rub other peoples nose in it, especially in a shopping centre.:beer:

That's spelt D-I-S-H-O-N-E-S-T. We're all going through hard times and you're cashing in on someone else's misfortune. Shame on you.
  • Sharp_Eyes
    Sharp_Eyes Posts: 99 Forumite
    Options
    iviv wrote: »
    The clue is in the question.

If you're the only one in the lift, you would have to go up to whatever floor you set the lift to, then set it to go back to that floor, and get out, though the woman would have moved out of view by then, and you wouldn't have an easy way to find her. It would take even longer to get back to that floor if there were others on the lift.

I would continue my shopping as normal. If I saw her while I was shopping, I'd give it back. If I didn't, then I would keep it.

Clearly so many people are so blinded by righteous indignation about stealing that they don't seem to notice the words AS THE DOOR CLOSES! Or the fact that you never saw the woman drop it! You NOTICE it on the floor! *LOL* You're one of the few! I'm interested to see how many people possess the super strength to 'run right after her' through the lift doors...:rotfl:
    :dance: *inhales deeply* "Ahhhhh! I love the smell of a good deal in the morning! (or just about any time, really...)" :dance:
  • Sharp_Eyes
    Options
    ken_1969 wrote: »
    You might just as well roll out the old turkey about finding someone's wallet. Anyone who really would not try and return a lost wallet or hand it in somewhere is just plain mean. I don't see how this scenario is any different.

I'll give it a shot.
    A lost wallet normally has a name and/or address somewhere inside which will enable you to see that it is returned to its rightful owner. Presumably this ticket does not have this info else you could post it to the person. The question asks if you would keep the ticket which indicates that nothing has been filled in with any details. I don't know of any lifts where we're all standing facing each other. I think we all face front! I don't pay attention to other people in lifts anyway so I would have no clue what the woman looks like to begin with and I stick to my original response. Take better care of your stuff! :)

Money in the street: If I found any money in the street (heaven be praised!) *LOL* with no identifying information like an envelope with an address on or anything, it's mine. If I see a tenner blow out of someone's hand while they are waiting to pay a street vendor or something, I'd try to catch it and hand it to the person. If I see a tenner on the ground I'd pick it up and look around to see if anyone looks as if they are missing any money - searching their pockets, patting themselves down etc. If everyone is looking all nonchalant, it's mine!
    :dance: *inhales deeply* "Ahhhhh! I love the smell of a good deal in the morning! (or just about any time, really...)" :dance:
  • Sharp_Eyes
    Options
    Errata wrote: »
    Keep it? Noooooooooo - the thought of all the bad Karma would give me nightmares forever more !

Well Errata, I'll tell you...I've been so good in my life with money (and in general)...handing back excess change when I've been given too much etc. that I wold look at this the opposite way! I'd think, "Ha! My GOOD Karma is finally coming back to me!" :) But as I said in my earliest post, if I notice it WHILE she is in the lift looking for it I'd probly tap her on the shoulder and point to the ticket on the ground and say, "Is that the one you're moaning about?" If I intentionally kept quiet while looking at the ticket going, 'Ooooh as soon as you get out that's mine!', then that is what I think is dishonest. :A
  • Sharp_Eyes
    Options
    OMG! No way, it`s stealing simple as. Do unto others and all that...... Instant Karma`s gonna get you!:mad:

How do we know Instant Karma didn't get HER???? :rotfl:
  • M_J_2
    M_J_2 Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    Hi there, I would not think twice. I would pick it up and go looking for her. And if I could not find her I would hand in to local Police Station. Though having read others' replies about the Camelot site I would take advice from the Police on this.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure