Money Moral Dilemma. Would you keep the lottery ticket?

Options

Comments

• robpw2
    robpw2 Posts: 14,044 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    why do people start acting like ned flanders whenever there honesty is called into question

there is a lot of sanctimonous people on here

the police would probably laugh you out of the station or better still relive you of the ticket and the guilt and cash it in

Slimming world start 28/01/2012 starting weight 21st 2.5lb current weight 17st 9-total loss 3st 7.5lb
    Slimmer of the month February , March ,April
  • Cloudane
    Cloudane Posts: 525 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Wow, way to find the most cynical possible view of people in general as well as the integrity of the police force. Don't judge others by your own standards.
  • Merson_Tuffers
    Options
    If you did take it and run she could have bought it online with a debit card so it would be traceable..:eek: as would the same numbers every week. :eek:

Online purchases don't produce a 'Lottery Ticket' so this suggestion is a no-brainer.

Sorry. :o
  • Angeleyes1985_2
    Options
    I would go back to her floor and try and find her (id be secretly hoping that i couldnt)

Being really tight on money I'd LOVE to keep it but i just know something bad would happen to me. Id hate myself for ever but would defo ry and give it back.

Id also be hoping that she'd be so pleased she'd share some of the cash!lol!
  • mistdemon
    mistdemon Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    Chances are she's minted anyway - I can't even afford a bl00dy ticket in the first place

Nice one, deciding a moral dilemma by means-testing!:T

So when a woman dropped £60 as she went past me in FlamingoLand last year I should have asked her for a statement of earnings and net disposable income before deciding whether to give it back to her?

What a wonderfully selfish world we live in....
    if i had known then what i know now
  • Taffybiker
    Taffybiker Posts: 927 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry to say that I'd keep it in most circumstances. Unless she was dressed in rags and obviously much poorer than me. But then she wouldn't spend £1 on a lottery ticket if she was in that state would she?

It's possible. There is the story of the down-and-out in London who found £1 and spent it on a lottery scratch card, winning £25,000.
    Of course, that story was in one of the Daily Rags...so its authenticity is suspect.
    Try saying "I have under-a-pound in my wallet" and listen to people react!
  • Pound
    Pound Posts: 2,784 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It seems that most people would give it back. Something I wondered though was what would you expect in return for giving her the ticket back? I'd be pretty annoyed if I gave that woman a life of luxury and got nothing in return.
  • A_fiend_for_life
    Options

Online purchases don't produce a 'Lottery Ticket' so this suggestion is a no-brainer.

Sorry. :o

:rotfl: :wall: :rotfl: :wall: :rotfl: :wall: :rotfl: :wall: :rotfl: :wall:
  • alst68
    alst68 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    I would give it back it is stealing by finding and morally wrong. You never know she might give you something for your honesty. Fat chance!!
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Taffybiker wrote: »
    It's possible. There is the story of the down-and-out in London who found £1 and spent it on a lottery scratch card, winning £25,000.
    Of course, that story was in one of the Daily Rags...so its authenticity is suspect.
    I actually heard an argument once that the lottery and other gambling were a way of "saving" for those with very little money. They wouldn't put a pound a week into a savings account, but spend it on a lottery ticket. Then when they win that gets them back all the pounds they've spent.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure