Money Moral Dilemma. Would you keep the lottery ticket?

Options

Comments

• Dough_Monster
    Options
    I would return it if I knew it belonged to the woman - & who knows, she might be grateful enough to share the winnings! ;)
  • Boggles1234
    Options
    Beate wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me how you are supposed to prove the purchase of a lottery ticket if you don't buy it online but at a newsagent? I can't remember ever having got a receipt for buying a lotto ticket, and you are not required to put your name on it somewhere.

Camelot can trace exactly where and when a ticket was sold. If you know the place you bought it and when you purchased it, they can check whether a winning ticket was sold there at that time. Most shops now have digital CCTV so the shopkeeper would probably be able to check if you were there at that time. You only have one month to claim a lost ticket.

I believe you then have t wait the 180 day claim period and if no one else comes forward with the winning ticket then you can get the prize. However, if someone else comes forward with the ticket they have abetter claim than yourself. Unless you wrote your details in the space provided on the back of the ticket. I haven't got a copy of the rules for online games with me but I believe you are supposed to fill your details in on the ticket. Based on the number of tickets we process a week (in excess of 8000) I would guesstimate that well over half of people fill their details in. And lost tickets are a very frequent occurence but most people don't bother if it is only a tenner. Instead they chalk it down to experience.
  • Targanielle
    Options
    Sharp_Eyes wrote: »
    Clearly so many people are so blinded by righteous indignation about stealing that they don't seem to notice the words AS THE DOOR CLOSES! Or the fact that you never saw the woman drop it! You NOTICE it on the floor! *LOL* You're one of the few! I'm interested to see how many people possess the super strength to 'run right after her' through the lift doors...:rotfl:

Ever heard of the 'Open door' button?

The words 'as the door closes' would imply it is possible to press the button which opens the door, and call after or follow the woman.

In any case, I would try to find her and hand the ticket back. If I failed, then if I'm being honest here I'm not sure what I'd do, whether I'd try to cash it in or report it to Camelot.

I suppose I could also contact the local paper and see if they'd run a story on it in the hopes the woman might see it. I don't know, if I failed to find her I might just hang on to it.

I would have to try to find her, I couldn't just keep it.
  • andysuth
    andysuth Posts: 76 Forumite
    Options
    Give it back to her, it's only half a step away from seeing it sticking out of her pocket and removing it without her noticing.

-AS
  • Stampede_2
    Options
    pixwix wrote: »
    Absolutely not. Couldn't face myself in a mirror.

But unless the prize was for a very small amount, I wouldn't simply place the ticket back into her hand. Given that possession is 9 points of the law, she'd need to accompany me to the nearest solicitor's office where the ticket would be formally returned in exchange for a legally binding promise of a 10% reward. Fair's fair...

If I could trace the winner I would just have to give them the ticket back, my own reputation and inner peace is worth more than all the money .. could I point out that your suggested action going to a solicitor etc. would clearly indicate theft if you didn't hand it over and it is probably also blackmail - your so called 'leggally binding promise' attempts would see you in Court !!!!!
  • zipman23
    zipman23 Posts: 291 Forumite
    Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Karma! I agree

I have found 2 wallets in the last 2 weeks - handed them both in.

And good stuff has happened to me in the last week:cool:

You didn't find a lottery ticket in a lift by any chance did you? :p
    English by birth. GEORDIE by the grace of God.
  • zipman23
    zipman23 Posts: 291 Forumite
    Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Can't remember who was talking about losing their wallet/purse and it being returned with everything as it were, heres one for you...

When I was 17/18ish, my wallet dropped out of my pocket on the upstairs of the number 21 bus in Newcastle. Obviously, when I got home, I couldn't find said wallet and thought that was it so began ringing round my bank, dvla etc. to cancel my cards. Two days later, I got in from school and someone had posted it through my letterbox. I opened it up to check if there was anything missing - well you would aswell wouldn't you - and there was a little note inside which said:

"Found this on the bus the other day so I have returned it to you. By the way, thanks for the £20...it paid for my takeaway on Saturday night!" Charming!

Another time I was out on a date and being the gentleman that I am, got a taxi back with the girl (even though we lived in opposite directions) to make sure she got home ok. She gave the taxi driver the fare for her getting home instead of giving it to me and he stuck it in his top pocket. As I was abit drunken, I completely forgot about it by the time I got home so I gave him a £20 note to pay the fare from hers to mine. He didn't mention that the girl had already given him money and I had already told him to keep the change as it was about 50p (or so I thought).

Next day I was out shopping and saw a £20 note lying on the ground so I pocketed it. There were plenty of people about so it wasn't as if someone had just dropped it that second!

Is that karma?
    English by birth. GEORDIE by the grace of God.
  • ~Jem~
    ~Jem~ Posts: 130 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would take the ticket! If you KNEW your numbers had come up would you really be so clumsy with your ticket??!!!?!

As for those that said if they couldn't find her and would take it home to call camelot etc, what if you checked the numbers and the ticket you were holding in your hand was for a million?? Could you really turn that down?!

And if in guilt think of all the good you could do with that money!
    Started DMP Oct 2011 - £7082
    Feb 2012 - £6562
    July 2012 - £6112
    Oct 2012 - £5781
  • moira_kent
    Options
    My goodness of course you would hand it back - if it was the other way around would you like someone to hand it back to you.
    Things have a funny way of comming back to bite you!:A Beware!
  • scillystuff
    Options
    I'd give it back.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills