Money Moral Dilemma. Would you keep the lottery ticket?

Options

Comments

• Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Keep it? Noooooooooo - the thought of all the bad Karma would give me nightmares forever more !
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • hb1966
    hb1966 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    Definitely follow her and return it - its not mine to take!
  • katherinedrex
    Options
    Most definately not. I would make sure I caught up with the lady and hand the ticket over to her wishing her good luck for a big pay out.

You can get as much pleasure out of seeing someone else prosper and be happy than having everything happen to yourself.
    :wave:
  • SCAMPER
    SCAMPER Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    No way should you keep it ! Having been listening to her in the lift you should also have a good idea of what she looks like and be able to catch up with her to return the ticket. Depending on her winnings, you may be lucky enough to be given a reward for the ticket's return, but even if that doesn't happen, you know that you have done the correct thing.:A
  • ken_1969
    ken_1969 Posts: 49 Forumite
    Options
    As always, there are some assumptions here and without more detail it's difficult to give anything other than a best guess as to what I would do.
    Personally I do my lottery online because that totally eliminates the possibility of exactly this type of heartbreaking situation. Also I think there is a very big onus on the person who bought the ticket to put their name on the back (certainly before they go bragging about their win to all and sundry).
    Definitely, in the circumstance where I just happened to find a ticket and discovered it was a winner I would have absolutely no qualms about keeping it and "losers weepers" as the old saying goes, but I think the given scenario is just too simple to even be a moral dilemma.
    You might just as well roll out the old turkey about finding someone's wallet. Anyone who really would not try and return a lost wallet or hand it in somewhere is just plain mean. I don't see how this scenario is any different.
    £25,040 of credit card debt cleared!
    Debt free as of July 2013! Now working through my mortgage!

• trejoy
    trejoy Posts: 74 Forumite
    Options
    Never in a million years, if I didn`t buy it, it isn`t mine.I would have called after her. I wonder what the lottery would do if a large claim was disputed anyway, go to cctv?:rotfl:
  • vixmix
    vixmix Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would keep the lottery ticket. In fact it never even entered my mind to try to chase the woman down, after all the lift door is closed and I doubt I'd remember her well enough to find her in a crowd, by the time I get back to that floor.

Its strange because if it was cash I would go back and have a quick look, then if I wasn't sure who she was then I'd hand it in to the police. I view lottery tickets entirely differently... In fact this is what Camelot have to say about it
    What if I find a ticket?

If you find a ticket for which the 180-day claim period has not expired and which does not contain the rightful owner's name and address then, if you cannot return the ticket to its rightful owner, send the ticket to Camelot's Prize Payout Department - address as above. You may, at Camelot's discretion, receive any prize payable on the ticket if no valid claim is received from the rightful owner during the 180-day claim period.

And the rules regarding the purchasing of a lottery ticket
    (5) After a Ticket has been issued the Player will be responsible for the safe custody and condition of that Ticket. Subject to Rule 4(M) and except in the case of Subscriptions, failure to produce a Ticket on claiming a Prize will result in refusal to pay the prize. Without limitation, the Player must take particular care to ensure that any Ticket issued by a Terminal is protected from excessive heat, direct sunlight and contact with any grease, oils or plastics, and no Ticket should be kept in any plastic wallet supplied by any Retailer or the Company for the purposes of protecting a Play Card.

(6) Neither the Company nor any Retailer will be responsible for loss, theft, mutilation, destruction or degradation of any Ticket or Play Card or for any errors or omissions in respect of any data recorded on any Ticket or Play Card or for any loss of whatever nature suffered or incurred by any person as a result of any such event or condition affecting a Ticket or Play Card.

Quite a lot of people state that they would return it because you know who she is, but you don't she's just a stranger in a lift who's now gone.

I'd keep the ticket, check it online to see if it is indeed a winner and how much and if the amount is below the £200 you can pick up in cash from a retailer then I'd cash it. If it is for more I'd send the ticket back to Camelot (after doing my research, just as I have done now...)
  • straightjayne
    Options
    Yes I would give the lottery ticket back, " do unto others as you would that they do unto you" I was always brought up to do that, so it is not a dilemma to me. Afterall honesty is the best policy, and if everyone lived by that what a wonderful world it would be. But it has to start somewhere.
  • Son
    Son Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    I'd call out to her and possibly go back down to the floor she got out on, but if I couldn't find her; no I wouldn't go hunting for her. The ticket's mine!Finder's keepers, losers weepers!! Would she have looked for me if I had dropped the ticket? Probably not! I have to take every opportunity that comes my way.
  • sassy5515
    Options
    I think I would have to give the lottery ticket to the lady who dropped it. If I didn't know who dropped it then it would be different and I think I would possibly keep it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure