🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Money Moral Dilemma. Would you keep the lottery ticket?

Options

Comments

• I-LOV-MONEY
    I-LOV-MONEY Posts: 1,267 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Having found a losing ticket in her bag, she threw it on the floor in disgust at not being able to find the winning one !
    Thank you for reading this message.
  • wansell
    Options
    If she hasn't filled in the details on the other side of the lottery ticket, then I'd keep it.

Otherwise there is no point and just give it back to her... But make sure I'm her life long best friend...
  • tripled
    tripled Posts: 2,879 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    dipsy wrote: »
    So if this is fact I would be interested to know where it is published incase my son ever does a repeat :-)

I think its on the back of the ticket... handy if you lose it! It says they investigate and pay out at their discretion only. If its a tenner they aren't going to bother faffing with it, only if its a large prize might they look into it.

If it was a small prize (tenner), I'd probably cash it unless there was some way of easily tracking the woman down to return it (save it going to waste!). If it was a bigger prize I'd probably ring Camelot or report it to the old bill.
  • karen111
    Options
    I would absolutely not keep the ticket. I couldn't enjoy spending someone else's money and thinking how upset they would be to have lost their ticket.
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Having found a losing ticket in her bag, she threw it on the floor in disgust at not being able to find the winning one !
    That's what I said.
    Only you said it much more efficiently!
  • owain.davies
    Options
    Of course if you take it to the police, there is not a very high chance of her reporting it stolen and it will come back to you after the required amount of days and become yours as of right.

Keeping it would of course be 'theft by finding', and as most outlets have CCTV if it was reported stolen, it would be a pretty easy prosecution and you'd have a criminal record. Not really worth it.
  • Zyyb
    Zyyb Posts: 99 Forumite
    Options
    I wouldnt be able to face myself in a mirror, but then i'd be filthy rich so i'd just have all the mirrors in the land broken and sleep on a bed of money to ease my woes.
    The Number One Reason for the Success of the Internet

Debt at highest - £23,240 - Debt as of May 15 - £2300 0% CC DFD - Mid 2016! Bloody wedding to save up for now!
  • demondoctor
    demondoctor Posts: 66 Forumite
    Options
    I would probably keep it. I might feel a little bad but I'd soon get over it.
  • Lizzie40_2
    Options
    :A Of course I would give it back. I believe in karma!!

MSE_Wendy wrote: »
    Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:
    Would you keep the lottery ticket?

You’re in the lift at your local shopping centre, a woman talking excitedly on the phone says she won an unspecified amount on last night’s lottery. Yet she’s saying she can’t find the ticket and asking her husband if he’s got it. She gets out at the next floor, and you notice its fallen from her bag and on the floor, as the door closes.
    Click reply to have your say.

Previous MMDs:

Would you pick herbs from a strangers's hedge?
    Should Arkwright give Granville his money back?

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]
  • CorduroyAngel
    Options
    pixwix wrote: »
    Absolutely not. Couldn't face myself in a mirror.

But unless the prize was for a very small amount, I wouldn't simply place the ticket back into her hand. Given that possession is 9 points of the law, she'd need to accompany me to the nearest solicitor's office where the ticket would be formally returned in exchange for a legally binding promise of a 10% reward. Fair's fair...

Cor! You meanie! Demanding a reward means it's not a reward you're demanding payment for doing the honest thing and handing her back her ticket. I hope I don't stand next to you in a lift and drop something of mine!!! Were you a bounty hunter in a previous life?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport