PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

August 2008 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• savingfortravel
    Options
    Bails-Welcome back!!! Still saving up to see my toucan!!

Herbaholic-Well done on July's challenge and being so organised for August's.

Fluffysox-Congrats on OH's job!!!!!!!!

Congrats Lilacpixie!!

SFT
    :cool: Frugal Living 2010 member MFW by 2014 Was 88,000 now £46,877.90 Grocery Budget for Dec-April=£173.72/£244 (Groc Budget 2010 from Ebay/Voucher savings/Quidco -If we can do it will save our £980 GC budget) Now living the dream -in our tiny country cottage-all thanks to MS forums. x 39 2 go
    Stockpile Savings: £89.72 Voucher savings £8
  • smetf
    smetf Posts: 272 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi all
    Hope this is useful for someone- saw in Netto flyer that 6 pints Robert Wiseman milk is £1.99 (both full-fat and semi) but when I visited today it was actually £1.70 for 6 pints :T

None of the other things on the flyer I wanted to get were there though :(

Did get whoopsied beef joint so had a lovely roast dinner and enough for curry later in the week :j

Will update sig in a mo

Smetf
    Emergency fund 10k Holiday/ home fund 5k
      Mortgage £61774.65
  • Cruiksl
    Cruiksl Posts: 351 Forumite
    Options
    Could I join again please ?

My spending has got a bit out of control over the last couple of months so need to tighten my belt :confused:

I shouldn't be too bad to begin with as I have a freezer/fridge full but could do with many nsd's ! My challenge is £350 for a family of 2 adults and 2 young children. Seems a lot but we have dd's family bbq for her 4th birthday and we usually put on a big spread. Going to try and make it as old style as possible though ! :j
    So little money - so much time :mad:
  • Mariel
    Mariel Posts: 624 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can I join please? I'm going to say £160 since there's only myself and my 8yo for the first couple of weeks then the 16yo gannet will be back! My freezer is pretty full though and I'm trying not to eat too much (see weight loss thread lol).
  • savingfortravel
    Options
    angelnikki-just gazing at July totals and I see you've put the clapping pair next to our figure-OB and my reaction was to clap too! How sad is that...

Welcome Mariel and Cruiksl..I find this thread a life saver. Such a friendly, crazy gang, very helpful and supportive (about all manner of things)

SFT
    :cool: Frugal Living 2010 member MFW by 2014 Was 88,000 now £46,877.90 Grocery Budget for Dec-April=£173.72/£244 (Groc Budget 2010 from Ebay/Voucher savings/Quidco -If we can do it will save our £980 GC budget) Now living the dream -in our tiny country cottage-all thanks to MS forums. x 39 2 go
    Stockpile Savings: £89.72 Voucher savings £8
  • JayJay14
    JayJay14 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Options
    Herbaholic wrote: »

Small query, DH just got an Asda CC because of the 2p a litre off fuel incentive, he'll buy the petrol on it and pay it off at the end of the month. But when the card came it wibbles about getting Asda points which they turn in to vouchers at the end of the year. I can't find any clue as to what the points are worth and how many you get per £1 etc. I suspect its 1p per £1 so you get £1 per £100 spent, be surprised if its more. Does anybody have any idea what the points are worth at Asda???

I have one Herbaholic and use it only for fuel (OH has a second card on the same a/c for his car) We spend over £300 a month on Fuel as OH works so far from home so the 2p a gal is really useful.

The points are only given for in store or on line purchases - not fuel so I never have any as it would be to tempting, I always use cash for my groceries. When I last got points they were 1 for £2 spend.

Hope this helps.
  • Mudbath
    Mudbath Posts: 5,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ooops....missed this one starting. We're going away on the 14th so i'm going to try and run the freezers and cupboards down so working on a £25 budget for August!!!! Scary!!!! Think we'll be having a few 'interesting' meals this month! xx
  • Chell
    Chell Posts: 1,683 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    betterlife wrote: »
    hello everyone, this will be my 1st months grocery challenge, please be gentle, im normally very good at home cooking etc but i had a baby on tuesday so have my hands full at the mo, he sleeps mostly but as he`s going to be my last i cant stop cuddling him! anyway the budget is for me, oh, 3 children who are 7, 4 and 2, baby cody 5 days old, 2 cats and 2 kittens. it will include all nappies and cleaning/toiletries. please put me down for £300.00 for the mth, not sure if this is realistic or not as i dont normally count but will spent as little as poss, am a bit restricted to where i shop at the mo as i dont drive and we have`nt got a people carrier yet. so its either sent oh (whhich will blow the budget) or bus so might do that. thankyou.x

Congratulations!

I'm in a similar situation. I want to join the challenge but I am having a planned c-sec next Thursday. It will make it difficult to plan as I won't be able to do all the shopping.

I did a Tesco online shop that arrived today, I couldn't face the supermarket with DD (3.5yrs) and DS (5yrs) in this heat as my feet are badly swollen. The shop came to £45 which was good considering there was a pack of Huggies Drynites at £5.50 (only used when we are away in our caravan). I will go with a weekly budget of £60 to include food, toiletries and cleaning things.

I haven't bought quite enough for the week but will pop to Home Bargains for loo rolls, etc. I also want to get some of the Muller Yoghurts from Morrisons if they are still on offer.
    Nevermind the dog, beware of the kids!
  • turbo5019
    turbo5019 Posts: 331 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Herbaholic wrote: »

Small query, DH just got an Asda CC because of the 2p a litre off fuel incentive, he'll buy the petrol on it and pay it off at the end of the month. But when the card came it wibbles about getting Asda points which they turn in to vouchers at the end of the year. I can't find any clue as to what the points are worth and how many you get per £1 etc. I suspect its 1p per £1 so you get £1 per £100 spent, be surprised if its more. Does anybody have any idea what the points are worth at Asda???
    One thing about the CC is once you have reached £30 in vouchers you don't any more point till the date you start the CC. I have only just found this out so I only use the CC for the petrol and use another CC to collect points off my clothes. I tend to move the money I have spent on any CC in to a seprate acc so when the bill comes in I have the money to pay it off. I never used to do that and got in to trouble several times HTH
    GC July £250/
  • winniepooh
    winniepooh Posts: 943 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I did so well in july GC thanks to you all. My budget was 350 and I spent 307:j :j

I'll go for 350 again this month cause its a 5 week month for us.
    I'm trying so hard to be thrifty, but it doesn't come naturally. You lot are an inspiration!
    JUST LOVES THE O/S BOARD
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family