PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

August 2008 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• jackk_2
    jackk_2 Posts: 288 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I made stock with my chicken this week, just turned it into spicy bean soup, and it's delish wooohooo.gif

Jackie x
  • taffy1969
    taffy1969 Posts: 372 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    hi, I joined the challenge months and months ago (check my sig as not updated for a while). I fell off very quickly, lots and lots of excuses but not really any that would stand up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I would like to join the August GC if I may? Can you please put me down for£350 for the month. Thats for 2 adults 2 children 3 cats and 12 fish!!(was 13 till one died on sun!) I know it's quite high compared to others but my hubby has to have meat with every meal and I am starting to do lots of home cooking, which with trial and error can be quite costly when it all goes pear shaped!!! lol.
    My cupboards and freezer are well stocked and the fridge is fairly full. My month will start Fri, so wish me luck.
    Lots of good tips on here, thanks in advance.
    Taffy
    Need to sort my life out! :T
  • SuziQ
    SuziQ Posts: 3,042 Forumite
    Options
    I am about to updat my sig-I have done really well this month but must admit,am finishing July with not a great amount in freezer or cupboards. As I have all 3 children home for the summer I am going to stick to £180 for August-to reduce it for this month would just be too hard as they seem to eat non stop through the summer holidays!

So for August my budget is £180.
    Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it!
  • gillaman
    gillaman Posts: 90 Forumite
    Options
    3 NSD's in a row, and I can't see me going to the shops tomorrow either. I really don't like supermarkets at all. Trouble is when I do go shopping I generally put a lot of stuff in the trolley that wasn't on the list. I'm finding just having to post my spends here is a big help with this, as well as all the advice, tips and recipes. I'm hoping not to have to buy anything until at least Friday when my August challenge starts, and as that's a Friday and I HATE Mr A on a Friday, I might get by with just a visit to the little Mr T up the road from me for some milk, and leave first big shop until Tuesday next week.

I'm trying to make yoghurt in a flask at the moment - fingers crossed please. I'm also halfway through making some chilli kidney bean sandwich filler - the beans are cooked, will finish it off tomorrow. It's lovely in a tortilla wrap with some salad. Have some shop bought tortillas to use up but have just seen the recipe for home made so will try those soon.

Welcome to all the other newbies (this is my first official month).

Good luck to Chelltune for Thursday.
    Congrats to BetterLife and LilacPixie on your new babes - life will never be the same again!
    Dec GC £100/76.61/16.46/10.19 - £103.26
    Jan GC £100/64.20/20.91 (£14.89 left)
  • heatherbelle_3
    Options
    Can I join for the month please - can i go for £200 for the 2 of us please! I will include my shop from today as that is pretty much all for Aug onwards.
    (does groceries include toiletries? dog food? washing stuff etc? Just so I know...)
    I miss using my infinite coupons at Tesco!
    2010 was the worst year ever :(
    But 2011 so far has been a lot of fun! :j

• sproggi
    sproggi Posts: 1,560 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Can I join for the month please - can i go for £200 for the 2 of us please! I will include my shop from today as that is pretty much all for Aug onwards.
    (does groceries include toiletries? dog food? washing stuff etc? Just so I know...)

Welcome Heatherbelle:T

I cannot speak for anyone else, but in the past (I fell off the wagon:o )my budget included everything that you have mentioned and will do again.

Sproggi
    'We can get over being poor, but it takes longer to get over being ignorant'
    Jane Sequichie Hifler
    Beware of little expenses.A small leak will sink a great ship
    Benjamin Franklin
  • beemuzed
    beemuzed Posts: 2,188 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Hi! Strange sort of month - although we're away for a bit we're also having people to stay, so spending won't reduce I'm afraid. I'm going for £230 this month please!
    Resolution:
    Think twice before spending anything!
  • skintmam
    skintmam Posts: 53 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    can I join please?? I'm a grocery challenge virgin ;) . My aim is £150 that's for 2 adults, a 9 yr old (who eats adult portions and more!) an 8 mth old and a cat. I have enough nappies to last me the month (I always stock up when they're on offer) but baby milk will need to come out of the budget.

i try and keep a tight reign on my food spending and always buy value or own brand items but am guilty of popping into tesco's for bread & milk and end up spending £20 on 'bargains'! have even told my husband not to let me go food shopping by myself as I can't be trusted! hopefully joining this challenge will motivate me to stick to budget and stop pointless spending.

have a delivery coming tomorrow from Tesco - spent £90 and had code for £13 off with other discounts aswell hope it'll come to around £70 -this is my 'big' shop for the month and will then top up weekly.

just realised how long this post is... sorry :rolleyes:
  • patentgirl
    patentgirl Posts: 1,028 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    morning everyone
    welcome all newbies good luck
    should be a NSD today havent much in but wont be able to fit shopping in today so will have to be something out of freezer, must try and do some baking though when I get home from work running a bit low
    weather definately cooler this morning but nice after yesterday and who else had those storms really loud.
    Frugal challenge 2024

• jediteacher
    jediteacher Posts: 1,143 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks to JediTeacher and everyone else who has been so kind - you are all wonderful people - all newbies, you are in a good place, welcome.

No worries. Everyone is soo kind here and I've been given some fantastic advice, love and care on this board. :A
    'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.' :cool:
    Proud Mummy to two gorgeous miracles.:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport