PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Herman Friendship Cake??

Comments

• celyn90
    celyn90 Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    edited 7 April 2010 at 5:52AM
    tomandjo2 wrote: »
    I would think twice before starting a Herman friendship cake the cake equivilent of a chain letter, the mix passed on each time in its raw state having never been refrigerated and made with raw eggs is a SERIOUS health hazard, part of the mix being passed on could be months old.

Tom

Hi Tom, every time I've made this, the starter culture (which is what you split off) doesn't contain any eggs. The eggs are added to the bit you convert to cake just before you bake it - so never sit around in the mixture or are in the seed you use again.
    :staradmin:starmod: beware of geeks bearing .gifs...:starmod::staradmin
    :starmod: Whoever said "nothing is impossible" obviously never tried to nail jelly to a tree :starmod:
  • HannahIOW
    HannahIOW Posts: 2,958 Forumite
    Wow never heard of this, very odd... doesn't the milk go off when it's sat for a couple of days??
    £2 Savers Club 2011 (putting towards a deposit :)) - £588
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    HannahIOW wrote: »
    Wow never heard of this, very odd... doesn't the milk go off when it's sat for a couple of days??
    I think it forms a kind of sourdough texture and natural yeast. I read about this yersterday - what an odd concept :rotfl: I thought it was going to be about a cake with forever friends on the top or something!:o
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• ChocClare
    ChocClare Posts: 1,475 Forumite
    I've got 3 lots of starter in the freezer - seeing this again has prompted me to think about getting it out again...
  • jennyjelly
    jennyjelly Posts: 1,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Does it stil work after it's been frozen? I remember doing this years ago and it did get to be a bit of a pain having to keep it going, but if it can be frozen to do as and when it would be great!
    Oh dear, here we go again.
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Jenny i've read mentions of freesing the starter quite a few times, so it certainly looks like you can :)

Zip
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• jennyjelly
    jennyjelly Posts: 1,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Might have another go then!
    Oh dear, here we go again.
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I recently became the proud "mum" to an adopted Herman and I'm pleased to say he's doing great! So far 2 of his off spring have left the nest and we've had a very yummy Herman cake which was shared with friends, family, heating oil deliverymen, neighbours and anyone else silly enough to not run away!
    But I thought that frankly after a few Hermans I might get a little bored of him... so my next Herman cake in a week or so will be made with something different... I've decided that as we have a GLUT of blackberries the next offering will be a Blackberry cake :) And the one after that probably a carrot cake! :D
    Has anyone else had fun experimenting with Herman? (Ooooeeerrrr missus)
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • mclmsn
    mclmsn Posts: 102 Forumite
    I have 'adopted' a Herman as well, currently on day 3. No idea who I can give the Herman babies to though lol
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I had one from a pupil in the 80s. it was tasty but then proved a blooming nuisance as it had to be passed on all the time.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure