New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Herman Friendship Cake??

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
106 replies 43.3K views
Lotta_LittliesLotta_Littlies Forumite
659 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
Got home from the school run this morning to find my friend had left me a mixture along with a "Herman the friendly cake" recipe.

I don't know any other name for it but it is a cake made of living yeast which takes nine days to make, during which time you divide the mixture into four and give three parts to friends. So she's given me one part along with the recipe to continue it, but neither of us know how the recipe begins. :confused:

Now I promise you I'm not mad and I'm hoping that someone out there knows what on earth I'm going on about!

Lotta
"One hundred years from now, it will not matter what my bank account was, how big my house was, or what kind of car I drove. But the world may be a little better, because I was important in the life of a child."

Replies

• pavlovs_dogpavlovs_dog Forumite
    10.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i haven't got a clue but it sounds interesting!
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • Ok here are the instructions - hope this sheds some light on it for someone!

Hi, my name is Herman.
    I am a friendly cake. I can live a long time and travel a long way.

This is how you should look after me. I am made from natural yeast, which is ready in nine days. Then you should divide me into four parts so that three friends can spread the friendship and pass it on to their friends.
    Do not put me in the fridge and make usre that I'm not too hot, but I loke to be warm. Put me in a large bowl so that I can grow, but do not cover me with a lid, just a clean tea towel. I need to breathe.

Day 1: Herman arrives

Day 2 and 3: Stir Herman well several times a day with a wooden spoon

Day 4: Herman is hungry, please feed him with : 200g sugar, 125 g plain flour, 200ml milk. Stir well.

Day 5,6,7,8: Stir well a few times a day

Day 9: Herman is hungry again. Please feed him with: 200g sugar, 125 g plain flour, 200ml milk. Stir well.

Divde me into four for three of your friends.

Add the following to the part you have kept:
    150g melted butter
    3 eggs
    250g plain flour
    100g brown sugar
    4 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp cinnamon
    2 apples, peeled, cored, grated
    100g dried fruit.

Mix well and pour Herman into a large greased tin, or 2 smaller ones. Make sure it has about a quarter of the tin to rise because it will overflow. Sprinkle with brown sugar and bake at 15C, Gas Mark 2 for 1 and a half hours.

ENJOY!

Right, now who knows what this is?!! :rolleyes:

Lotta
    "One hundred years from now, it will not matter what my bank account was, how big my house was, or what kind of car I drove. But the world may be a little better, because I was important in the life of a child."
  • Gingham_RibbonGingham_Ribbon Forumite
    31.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A chain letter you can eat?!
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
  • lol i love this idea! I wonder what the recipe is to make Herman!

Find a job you love and you'll never work a day in your life.
  • WOW!!!! sounds yummy! :drool:

I wish someone would give me a little Herman :D

I've been wracking my brains to remember where I've heard of something similar to this and I think it's in making ginger beer, which uses the same technique with the yeast, but I can't remember the details now. There may even be a thread about it on this board somewhere as it's quite posible I read it here originally ;)

Oh and of course, not forgetting sour dough, which is made from a live culture that you keep going in the same fashion!
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• pavlovs_dogpavlovs_dog Forumite
    10.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A chain letter you can eat?!

:D

wouldnt it be easier just to write on rice paper?!
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • Been Googling like a maniac and found this! ! What do you think?

Lotta
  • calleywcalleyw Forumite
    9.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    this has been around for years. My mum had something like this during the 70's. It is starter and you just past it on.

further info here and here

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • Hermans great I got one when I was younger completely forgot about him til I read this!
  • Savvy_SueSavvy_Sue Forumite
    42.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We had one of these, I confess we got fed up of it and had passed it on to all our friends (and a few of our not friends as well) so killed it off ...
    Still knitting!
    Completed: TWO adult cardigans, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees, 2 sets of handwarmers, 1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 3 balaclavas, multiple hats and poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: pink balaclava (for myself), seaman's hat, about to start another cardigan!