Whats the best thing you have bought that has actually SAVED you money?

Options

Comments

• Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,941 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    My best moneysaving buys: 3 tier steamer, slow cooker, stick blender, 2 ring worktop cooking plate and a microwave. The whole lot cost under £50 and they have saved me a small fortune in the longrun. Long live clearout sales and online auctions! :D

Edited in: Annual family membership to the National Trust - got 18 months for price of 12 and it paid itself back within a couple of day trips/picnics and I've still got 17 months left to go :D
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024
  • kriti
    kriti Posts: 3 Newbie
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    would like a bread maker - could you tell me the email or web address for freecycle please
  • Frugaldom
    Options
    kriti wrote: »
    would like a bread maker - could you tell me the email or web address for freecycle please

http://www.freecycle.org/group/UK/ or just click the link :) Knock the /group/uk off the end if you are outside the UK and good luck getting a breadmaker :)

• madmoneysavingmum
    Options
    Best buy for me are my reusable nappies and wipes (Tots Bots nappies and Motherease Wraps) - they are now on child 3 and still going strong, even the ones I bought second-hand, and some of the small-size ones have done a friend's baby, too. When all 3 of mine were in nappies, I couldn't have done without them. In the unlikely event of baby #4, they would still be OK. We must have saved quite a bit over the cost of disposable nappies and wipes over the years.

Equally good money-saving-wise, but not strictly a 'buy' are our library cards - the kids think the library is a great outing, and we all borrow lots of books. I have saved thousands of pounds over buying them, and reading has kept me sane (relatively) over a difficult few years.
  • lexa34
    lexa34 Posts: 587 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Solar charger- I can use it to charge phone, MP3 and poss my laptop! Plus breadmaker (15 quid ebay), ohh and a rather expensive Anya Hindmarch handbag that I bought from ebay about 2 years ago and I use it everyday. Plus, when ever I see a nice bag I mostly don't buy them as I know I won't use it!!
    Green and minimal chemicals is the new black- I know a fair old bit about sustainability, specially energy and transport stuff. If I can help- please ask!
  • Little_Chicken
    Little_Chicken Posts: 2,798 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mine is my Terramundi...It's very pretty and has my name on it.

i joined the 'Sealed pot challenge' and have already banked £337 this year!

It's right by my bed and I'm addicted to feeding it - sometimes after a little thieving from hubby's trouser pockets. ;0)
    :grin: Save me from spending...
    Sealed Pot Challenge 2008 - £1004:T 2009 - £1139 2010 - £1260 :j 2011 - £1557 2012 - £740 :beer: No 195 Target £1k
  • Idiophreak
    Idiophreak Posts: 12,024 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Mine is my beloved Rice Cooker (Argos half price £9.99) about a year ago

We eat a lot of rice (nice n cheap!!), but my cooking is 'pants!' so would always buy bags of ready cooked rice @£1.25.

The rice cooker is so simple and quick and easy to clean!

I know this isn't really on topic, but I'm *entirely* confused by this....what is a rice cooker? how does it work? is it really easier than just a pan of water?

My best investment is probably my running shoes I bought last month - cost £25, so am already £10 up having given up the gym at £35/month..,
  • foreversomeday
    foreversomeday Posts: 1,011 Forumite
    Options
    I think my slow cooker would be moneysaving if I could ever be bothered to use it :(

I wish you could buy motivation, that would be very moneysaving!

I am hoping my most moneysaving buy will be my wrap sling for baby arriving soon - they can nap in them during the day, it saves me buying an expensive pram (just need a cheap pushchair for when he can sit up) and it's apparently tricky but possible to breastfeed in them so I won't be tied down while feeding - and they get you fit as you walk everywhere, and the nice woven style ones last until baby is about 3 years old! :)
    I don't believe and I never did that two wrongs make a right
  • skintmostofthetime
    Options
    Sad but I think the best value-for-money article was a wedding ring - for my husband.
    Look what I got for it, a hot water bottle in the winter, a plumber/builder/gardener/painter/carpet layer/chauffeur/shoulder to cry on/nurse/waiter .......... Not bad for what was a only few quid all those years ago.
    Might think about a new one soon though, begining to wear a bit at the knees now. !!!!!
    Oops - good job he don't use the net. :j :rotfl: :j :rotfl: :j
  • Frugaldom
    Options
    Sad but I think the best value-for-money article was a wedding ring - for my husband.
    Look what I got for it, a hot water bottle in the winter, a plumber/builder/gardener/painter/carpet layer/chauffeur/shoulder to cry on/nurse/waiter .......... Not bad for what was a only few quid all those years ago.
    Might think about a new one soon though, begining to wear a bit at the knees now. !!!!!
    Oops - good job he don't use the net. :j :rotfl: :j :rotfl: :j

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :T Excellent answer, get's my vote! :beer: Cheers for sharing that with us all and I'm sure he'd be delighted to read your post - but you can't edit out the 'knees' part as I've quoted you now. :rotfl:

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport