Whats the best thing you have bought that has actually SAVED you money?

Comments

• I really need a new handbag but just can't find one that I can get on with. Also I'm trying to be disciplined and save more money for my house deposit but it's hard as I like to walk round the shops and end up spending money on little things I don't need.

So, to combat both issues, I bought some really cheap but really nice material in the sales and have made one bag and started another - all for less than the cost of one. Not only have I saved money on the cost of a bag I've also found a new obsession. I don't go to the shops now because I'm enjoying the sewing so much I hate putting it down. I'm doing it by hand instead of using a machine so it's taking up even more of my time - I'm between jobs and can't start the new one for a few months so it's helping combat all the time I've got to be bored at home.

Random I know, but buying cheap material has definitely saved me money.

It also means saving money on presents as I can make them instead :)
    Trying to only spend money when I absolutely have to.
    Barclaycard: £4559-1500 = £3059 (Will have £900 to add to that end of September)
    Loan from Friend = £2000
  • I really need a new handbag but just can't find one that I can get on with. Also I'm trying to be disciplined and save more money for my house deposit but it's hard as I like to walk round the shops and end up spending money on little things I don't need.

So, to combat both issues, I bought some really cheap but really nice material in the sales and have made one bag and started another - all for less than the cost of one. Not only have I saved money on the cost of a bag I've also found a new obsession. I don't go to the shops now because I'm enjoying the sewing so much I hate putting it down. I'm doing it by hand instead of using a machine so it's taking up even more of my time - I'm between jobs and can't start the new one for a few months so it's helping combat all the time I've got to be bored at home.

Random I know, but buying cheap material has definitely saved me money.

It also means saving money on presents as I can make them instead :)

I need a new bag;)
    Wish i could sew;)
    TPA:p
    MFW - We've only gone and blooming done it!
    May 2013:j
  • bebebelle
    bebebelle Posts: 1,453 Forumite
    My best buy was a £79.00:o make- up set a few months ago, that was a load of C**P (from QVC).

This was the moment I realised that I needed to think before I spent money.

This is all the more stupid, as I can just about pay my bills each month.

I am now a moneysaver convert and dont buy silly things like this anymore.
    I appreciate Each and Every win. I thank every comp poster from the bottom of my heart :A
  • bebebelle wrote: »
    My best buy was a £79.00:o make- up set a few months ago, that was a load of C**P (from QVC).

This was the moment I realised that I needed to think before I spent money.

This is all the more stupid, as I can just about pay my bills each month.

I am now a moneysaver convert and dont buy silly things like this anymore.

£79!!! OMG what was in it???? Did you send it back?
    I have to say i do like models prefer and smashbox from QVC (normally!!)

TPAx
    MFW - We've only gone and blooming done it!
    May 2013:j
  • luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    My sewing machine - have just spent a quiet evening turning three pairs of too-short sale bargain trousers into cut-offs for OH to take on holiday. Total cost £8 for the three! I also lengthened another pair of trousers for him and altered a dress for me.

Tomorrow night I shall turn a £15 Dorma duvet cover into 4 pillow cases & some cushions covers to match our 'best' duvet cover - the 'real' pillow cases were only available full price at £8 each.

My sewing machine is 15 years old and has paid for itself dozens of times over.
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • roo291
    roo291 Posts: 14 Forumite
    Enjo Chemical Free Cleaning Fibres - Without a doubt my best buy ever.

I have not bought any cleaning chemicals for 3 years and those things add up. (Especially if like me you are a little obsessed by cleanliness)

On top of that i am doing my bit for the enviroment, not exposing my children to a cocktail of chemicals and saving time on the cleaning!
  • otheradam
    otheradam Posts: 5 Forumite
    Travel costs in London are exhorbitant so cycling saves me loads of money.

Annual Travelcard (covering Zones 1-4)=
    £1,384
    Initial cost of bicycle + accessories ~ £ 450
    Saving in first year ~ £ 934

My annual maintenance costs are about ~ £ 250
    Saving each year after the first are >= £1,134

Each year I spend about £250 replacing worn out parts and buying new cycling kit. Transport for London keeps hiking the prices so I'll probably save even more than this each year.

In addition, I don't have gym fees (£300/year) and I stay fit and healthy (priceless).

--
    otheradam
  • cottel7
    cottel7 Posts: 18 Forumite
    My husband cycles to work every day and has bought battery free lights which work on magnets on his wheels rather than a dynamo (the dynamo used to rip through his tyres within months so was not very money saving!)
    They cost 30pounds but are definately worth it.
  • smiths84
    smiths84 Posts: 141 Forumite
    kika wrote: »
    My slow cooker was good buy as I always use it and with kids you can eat at different times and keeps ok for a while. Check out recipe thread on old style
    Save even more by getting your slow cooker at a boot fair/charity shop! People are always getting rid of them - don't know why because they are fab.
    Make £10 a day May challenge
    2011 Sealed pot challenge
  • janegal
    janegal Posts: 77 Forumite
    £1 on a box of Bicarbonate of Soda - I use it to clean my entire house, in my washing and to bake (I love to make soda bread - so quick and easy!)

I also have changed my washing habits - I use less detergent, less fabric conditioner and wash at 30C. I add a scoop of Borax to my washing as stain remover and water softner.

And don't get me started in what you can do with a bottle of vinegar....
    [/COLOR]With a Lemon, Make a Lemonade
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport