Whats the best thing you have bought that has actually SAVED you money?

Comments

• My best money saving buy was a decent cookbook!
    When I decided to start pulling in the purse strings the first thing that I thought should go was the convenience food so I had to bite the bullet and learn to cook (much to hubbys dismay!:rotfl:).
    Now instead of a standard meal for the three of us costing upwards of £5 I can do a whole days worth of meals for us all for under £5!:T

You need to come and teach me ypur skills!!

TPAx
    MFW - We've only gone and blooming done it!
    May 2013:j
  • Holeypockets
    Holeypockets Posts: 470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I purchased a scooter recently - it is already saving me loads of money on petrol to and from work. The initial outlay was quite high - around £1000 all in all with all the bits and pieces, but it is great. I can get from A to B much quicker - no waiting in traffic and it does over 100 MPG. The return in investment will be around 8 months. My fuel spend has gone from around £80 per month to around £20.
  • Gemmzie
    Gemmzie Posts: 14,876 Forumite
    My fancy Panasonic breadmaker, which I managed to get for £45 :D £3.50 a loaf - it's paid for itself very quickly
    No longer using this account for new posts from 2013
  • tammyfshr
    tammyfshr Posts: 343 Forumite
    mine was a set of clippers to do my husbands hair but now he has it razored off.now its a £5 brand new blender of the carboot which has saved me a furtune in baby food.
  • tammyfshr wrote: »
    mine was a set of clippers to do my husbands hair but now he has it razored off.now its a £5 brand new blender of the carboot which has saved me a furtune in baby food.

After my haircut today I wish i had bought clippers!!:mad:

TPA x
  • Interesting thread.....mines the clothes pulley we bought earlier this year, it hangs above the staircase. Its been a godsend, we must have saved pounds by not having to run the dryer anymore.
    Then the magimix, and the yogurt maker!!

Especially with the type of summer we are having!
    TPAx
  • PigginSkint
    PigginSkint Posts: 2,706 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Like Hypno I've got a clipper set (with various comb fittings, scissors, clips etc) - can't remember how much they cost me but not a lot. I used these to cut DS's hair.

I also have a good pair of hairdressing scissors - I cut my own fringe and OH does the back for me when the ends start to split. OH is the only one in our house who has his hair cut at a barbers (though he does dye it at home).

I also bought OH a Thermos flask for £5.99 from Aldi a year or so ago. When OH is out all day he takes a flask of coffee which saves him a fortune on buying coffee when he is out.
    PigginSkint's debt free diary
    DFW Nerd 1049 Amazon Sellers Club member 54
    Total mortgage debt: 30/4/17 £14090.77 (Last payment: September 2021)
    LTSB Loan 30/4/17 £6633.71 (reduction by 48%)
    Total credit cards: 30/4/17 £25971.91 :eek:
    Total non-mortgage debt: 30/4/17 £32876.49 :eek:
  • mouseymousey99
    mouseymousey99 Posts: 1,868 Forumite
    Which book did you get Marshmallow??
  • Marru
    Marru Posts: 4,126 Forumite
    For me it is definitely break down cover. I would have been twice in less than a year been paying a fortune to the local garage to come and sort my car out. And next year I will be paying it with Tesco vouchers. :T
    "Everything will be alright in the end. If it's not alright, it's not the end."

• Marru wrote: »
    For me it is definitely break down cover. I would have been twice in less than a year been paying a fortune to the local garage to come and sort my car out. And next year I will be paying it with Tesco vouchers. :T

Ah yes the Tesco/RAC thingy, I have done this for the past couple of years (have a Tesco CC also so points add up quickly, in true MSE style though it is paid off every month)

TPAx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport