🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Whats the best thing you have bought that has actually SAVED you money?

Options

Comments

• Sosh
    Sosh Posts: 175 Forumite
    Options
    It would have to be a toss up between my breadmaker, aquired via freecycle so only cost the price of the petrol to collect it. The other purchase would be my sewing machine which I got for £5 about 15 years ago. that's paid for itself many times over
    Thanks to all the lovely people on here I have managed to cut my hours down to 2 days a week, allowing me to spend more time with my gorgeous Children. :j
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,849 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    beinerts wrote: »
    Unfortunately, the divorce itself still costs you a fortune, especially if you're a man! Based on the people I know that have divorced anyway!

Humph! Not if your ex OH takes you to court it it costs the ex missis too - IMHO and from personal experience.
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • beer_tins
    beer_tins Posts: 1,677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    not always!! I can't be the only woman in the UK who has donated a house to a grump man - can I?? Please???

No not always! Sorry, didn't mean to imply it's always the man that gets taken. Was meant to be a light hearted response saying divorces are expensive even if you get a DIY divorce book!
    Running Club targets 2010
    5KM - 21:00 21:55 (59.19%)
    10KM - 44:00 --:-- (0%)
    Half-Marathon - 1:45:00 HIT! 1:43:08 (57.84%)
    Marathon - 3:45:00 --:-- (0%)
  • beer_tins
    Options
    Valli wrote: »
    Humph! Not if your ex OH takes you to court it it costs the ex missis too - IMHO and from personal experience.

Sorry, to you too if I offended you. Didn't mean to imply it's always the way!
  • mouseymousey99
    mouseymousey99 Posts: 1,868 Forumite
    Options
    I meant mine lightly too beinerts !!
    Things happen for a reason & although haven't got a bean now - tons happier than I ever was back then.
    M
    ps - sorry for high jacking the post
  • Valli
    Options
    beinerts wrote: »
    Sorry, to you too if I offended you. Didn't mean to imply it's always the way!

Not offended at all - just grumpy because I've had the solicitors bill and it's a four figure one. If anyone is thinking of splitting up believe me it can get expensive and working part time I did not qualify for legal aid. Interestingly my full time employed ex seemed to!

Mind you - I'm still in the house!:rotfl:
    and I too am happier - decisions are mine - life is peaceful - money tight but hey! have the support and love of family and I can make fab jam! so there always be jam and bread!

No breadmaker - but that was a xmas gift from the now absent old man who bought me something I didn't ask for. Not the worst gift I ever received but that's another story...
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson

Thank you Honey Bear
  • beer_tins
    Options
    I meant mine lightly too beinerts !!
    Things happen for a reason & although haven't got a bean now - tons happier than I ever was back then.
    M
    ps - sorry for high jacking the post

Good, I'm glad you took it as it was intended!

My best money saving purchase was a banger years ago (yes really!). My train fare was £180 a month return and involved going into London and then out again for a 25 mile "as the crow flies" journey! Instead I paid less than £100 in fuel and even with the other motoring costs factored in I was saving.

Other than that, double glazing, insulation, energy saving light bulbs and efficient appliances have saved me a fortune in energy costs over the years.
  • beer_tins
    Options
    Valli wrote: »
    Not offended at all - just grumpy because I've had the solicitors bill and it's a four figure one. If anyone is thinking of splitting up believe me it can get expensive and working part time I did not qualify for legal aid. Interestingly my full time employed ex seemed to!

Mind you - I'm still in the house!:rotfl:
    and I too am happier - decisions are mine - life is peaceful - money tight but hey! have the support and love of family and I can make fab jam! so there always be jam and bread!

No breadmaker - but that was a xmas gift from the now absent old man who bought me something I didn't ask for. Not the worst gift I ever received but that's another story...

No word of a lie, an ex girlfriend's stepdad bought her mum a rotary for the garden, a kneeling mat for weeding and various kitchen implements (including pots and pans) for various birthday/xmas gifts. As far as I know they're still together :confused:
  • DKLS
    DKLS Posts: 13,459 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Would have to be the 'purchase' of my rottweiler of solicitor on retention for 2 years, she cost a small fortune, but was cheaper then keeping on the bunny boiling ex.

And as a bonus I had a brief fling with the solicitor :j
  • Valli
    Options
    As I have said in earlier posts (on other forums) useful gifts are acceptable - but I do think you need to ensure they will be gratefully received. Buying your wife a breadmaker - second hand - because your mate is selling it and it will save you going shopping - well that wasn't the reason for the divorce but it didn't help.
    The most appalling gift was the 3 CDs which were COPIED with photcopied sleeves by another of his lairy mates who had a 'new fangled' (at that time) PC with a cd burner. I'd have preferred 'I'm sorry I can't afford a gift...'

They have been destroyed.

Thank you Honey Bear
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills