Whats the best thing you have bought that has actually SAVED you money?

Options

Comments

• Sosh
    Sosh Posts: 175 Forumite
    Options
    It would have to be a toss up between my breadmaker, aquired via freecycle so only cost the price of the petrol to collect it. The other purchase would be my sewing machine which I got for £5 about 15 years ago. that's paid for itself many times over
    Thanks to all the lovely people on here I have managed to cut my hours down to 2 days a week, allowing me to spend more time with my gorgeous Children. :j
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,783 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    beinerts wrote: »
    Unfortunately, the divorce itself still costs you a fortune, especially if you're a man! Based on the people I know that have divorced anyway!

Humph! Not if your ex OH takes you to court it it costs the ex missis too - IMHO and from personal experience.
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • beer_tins
    beer_tins Posts: 1,677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    not always!! I can't be the only woman in the UK who has donated a house to a grump man - can I?? Please???

No not always! Sorry, didn't mean to imply it's always the man that gets taken. Was meant to be a light hearted response saying divorces are expensive even if you get a DIY divorce book!
    Running Club targets 2010
    5KM - 21:00 21:55 (59.19%)
    10KM - 44:00 --:-- (0%)
    Half-Marathon - 1:45:00 HIT! 1:43:08 (57.84%)
    Marathon - 3:45:00 --:-- (0%)
  • beer_tins
    Options
    Valli wrote: »
    Humph! Not if your ex OH takes you to court it it costs the ex missis too - IMHO and from personal experience.

Sorry, to you too if I offended you. Didn't mean to imply it's always the way!
  • mouseymousey99
    mouseymousey99 Posts: 1,868 Forumite
    Options
    I meant mine lightly too beinerts !!
    Things happen for a reason & although haven't got a bean now - tons happier than I ever was back then.
    M
    ps - sorry for high jacking the post
  • Valli
    Options
    beinerts wrote: »
    Sorry, to you too if I offended you. Didn't mean to imply it's always the way!

Not offended at all - just grumpy because I've had the solicitors bill and it's a four figure one. If anyone is thinking of splitting up believe me it can get expensive and working part time I did not qualify for legal aid. Interestingly my full time employed ex seemed to!

Mind you - I'm still in the house!:rotfl:
    and I too am happier - decisions are mine - life is peaceful - money tight but hey! have the support and love of family and I can make fab jam! so there always be jam and bread!

No breadmaker - but that was a xmas gift from the now absent old man who bought me something I didn't ask for. Not the worst gift I ever received but that's another story...
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson

Thank you Honey Bear
  • beer_tins
    Options
    I meant mine lightly too beinerts !!
    Things happen for a reason & although haven't got a bean now - tons happier than I ever was back then.
    M
    ps - sorry for high jacking the post

Good, I'm glad you took it as it was intended!

My best money saving purchase was a banger years ago (yes really!). My train fare was £180 a month return and involved going into London and then out again for a 25 mile "as the crow flies" journey! Instead I paid less than £100 in fuel and even with the other motoring costs factored in I was saving.

Other than that, double glazing, insulation, energy saving light bulbs and efficient appliances have saved me a fortune in energy costs over the years.
  • beer_tins
    Options
    Valli wrote: »
    Not offended at all - just grumpy because I've had the solicitors bill and it's a four figure one. If anyone is thinking of splitting up believe me it can get expensive and working part time I did not qualify for legal aid. Interestingly my full time employed ex seemed to!

Mind you - I'm still in the house!:rotfl:
    and I too am happier - decisions are mine - life is peaceful - money tight but hey! have the support and love of family and I can make fab jam! so there always be jam and bread!

No breadmaker - but that was a xmas gift from the now absent old man who bought me something I didn't ask for. Not the worst gift I ever received but that's another story...

No word of a lie, an ex girlfriend's stepdad bought her mum a rotary for the garden, a kneeling mat for weeding and various kitchen implements (including pots and pans) for various birthday/xmas gifts. As far as I know they're still together :confused:
  • DKLS
    DKLS Posts: 13,459 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Would have to be the 'purchase' of my rottweiler of solicitor on retention for 2 years, she cost a small fortune, but was cheaper then keeping on the bunny boiling ex.

And as a bonus I had a brief fling with the solicitor :j
  • Valli
    Options
    As I have said in earlier posts (on other forums) useful gifts are acceptable - but I do think you need to ensure they will be gratefully received. Buying your wife a breadmaker - second hand - because your mate is selling it and it will save you going shopping - well that wasn't the reason for the divorce but it didn't help.
    The most appalling gift was the 3 CDs which were COPIED with photcopied sleeves by another of his lairy mates who had a 'new fangled' (at that time) PC with a cd burner. I'd have preferred 'I'm sorry I can't afford a gift...'

They have been destroyed.

Thank you Honey Bear
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family