Whats the best thing you have bought that has actually SAVED you money?

Options

Comments

• Gangstabird
    Gangstabird Posts: 1,920 Forumite
    Options
    Wine making stuff. Seeds to grow my own flowers (proud owner of Dahlias for goodness sake). Tent. Breadmaker.Marrying a builder.
  • Gangstabird
    Gangstabird Posts: 1,920 Forumite
    Options
    Oh yes and our mop from Lakeland that you can put your own cleaner in. Saved loads from not buying them stupid ones which require you to buy brand stuff.
  • MrsDoyle_2
    Options
    Valli wrote: »
    As I have said in earlier posts (on other forums) useful gifts are acceptable - but I do think you need to ensure they will be gratefully received. Buying your wife a breadmaker - second hand - because your mate is selling it and it will save you going shopping - well that wasn't the reason for the divorce but it didn't help.
    The most appalling gift was the 3 CDs which were COPIED with photcopied sleeves by another of his lairy mates who had a 'new fangled' (at that time) PC with a cd burner. I'd have preferred 'I'm sorry I can't afford a gift...'

They have been destroyed.

Sorry for diverting the thread again but I couldn't resist. My soon-to-be-ex once went to New Orleans and brought me back a pair of oven gloves........he then remembered he hadn't got anything for his mother so I got the left glove (I'm right handed) and she got the right glove.

Back on topic: I'd never heard of a remoska before reading this thread but it sounds like something I could use. I'm off to see how cheaply I can get one....
  • fortune_pete
    Options
    the best thing i bought was our trailer tent.
    having to fork out for a family of six to attend two weddings last august/september at opposite ends of the country, we were looking at £900+ for accomodation (to get a holday out of each)

bought an 6/8 berth trailer tent 2nd hand - hardly used, the kids love it, a home from home, now we can go anywhere we want when we want, already had 6 holidays - it's paid for itself and will last for years to come.
  • kalojac
    kalojac Posts: 423 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My money saving thing would have to be;

My kitchen stuff too..
    • My Steamer
    • My Breadmaker
    • My slowcooker (although I got this free from my Father in Law cause he no longer needed it, so didn't actually buy it)
    BTW I loved the post about the wedding ring, I laughed and laughed, how true wish I had thought of it :rotfl: :rotfl: :T
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,785 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    MrsDoyle wrote: »
    Sorry for diverting the thread again but I couldn't resist. My soon-to-be-ex once went to New Orleans and brought me back a pair of oven gloves........he then remembered he hadn't got anything for his mother so I got the left glove (I'm right handed) and she got the right glove.

Oh Mrs Doyle - that's fab! That has made my day LOL

One pair of oven gloves - two gifts! How money saving is THAT?

maybe we should start a thread of our own - the worst gift ever received. I think yours tops mine!

Hope the divorce goes OK! :T Have a nice day Mrs Doyle!
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • Valli
    Options
    the electricity varies too much - lots of little surges and ebbs, and it puts strain on things.

That's awful!
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson

Thank you Honey Bear
  • Valli
    Options
    Wine making stuff. Seeds to grow my own flowers (proud owner of Dahlias for goodness sake). Tent. Breadmaker.Marrying a builder.

hey Gangstabird - love the order you've put your list in. Wine first, hubby last!

Thank you Honey Bear
  • Siamese
    Siamese Posts: 63 Forumite
    Options
    Mine would have to be a thermos flask. I was spending two quid a day on coffee from the station, so I bought a flask for £2.50 from Asda and made my own - saving about 9 quid a week.

It's much nicer too :D
  • neverdespairgirl
    neverdespairgirl Posts: 16,501 Forumite
    Options
    Valli wrote: »
    That's awful!

Yes, it's a right royal pain in the backside. We have to have everything protected with surge thingies as well (kettle, computer, TV, etc)
    ...much enquiry having been made concerning a gentleman, who had quitted a company where Johnson was, and no information being obtained; at last Johnson observed, that 'he did not care to speak ill of any man behind his back, but he believed the gentleman was an attorney'.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure