Whats the best thing you have bought that has actually SAVED you money?

Options

Comments

• beer_tins
    beer_tins Posts: 1,677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Valli wrote: »
    As I have said in earlier posts (on other forums) useful gifts are acceptable - but I do think you need to ensure they will be gratefully received. Buying your wife a breadmaker - second hand - because your mate is selling it and it will save you going shopping - well that wasn't the reason for the divorce but it didn't help.
    The most appalling gift was the 3 CDs which were COPIED with photcopied sleeves by another of his lairy mates who had a 'new fangled' (at that time) PC with a cd burner. I'd have preferred 'I'm sorry I can't afford a gift...'

They have been destroyed.

Some of the "presents from men" stories I've heard have been unbelievable! My OH would clobber me if I showed up with anything like that. Sometimes I have to cringe for my gender! Women sometimes get it wrong too, but rarely out of thoughtlessness.
    Running Club targets 2010
    5KM - 21:00 21:55 (59.19%)
    10KM - 44:00 --:-- (0%)
    Half-Marathon - 1:45:00 HIT! 1:43:08 (57.84%)
    Marathon - 3:45:00 --:-- (0%)
  • Gorwel
    Gorwel Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    Back to the gadgets etc that save money!!!

Mine is Toaster Bags from Bettaware. Good for toasted sandwiches - make the sandwich in the normal way and pop into the re-useable toaster bag and toast it in the toaster.
    Brilliant too for burgers, fish fingers, fish portions, chicken nuggets etc etc - all done in a fraction of the time it would take to grill or bake these items in the conventional way.
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,784 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks for returning us to the theme of the thread - I was seriously diverted there...

But can you REALLY cook burgers etc in them? From frozen? How, please?
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • Tesco_points_addict
    Options
    Gorwel wrote: »
    Back to the gadgets etc that save money!!!

Mine is Toaster Bags from Bettaware. Good for toasted sandwiches - make the sandwich in the normal way and pop into the re-useable toaster bag and toast it in the toaster.
    Brilliant too for burgers, fish fingers, fish portions, chicken nuggets etc etc - all done in a fraction of the time it would take to grill or bake these items in the conventional way.

That reminds me i have some of these bags in the back of the cupboard! I never realised you could cook other things in them though!

TPAx
    MFW - We've only gone and blooming done it!
    May 2013:j
  • Naomim
    Naomim Posts: 3,117 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My best money savers are: clippers for DH's hair. That saves about £10 every six weeks and I'm sure they only cost me £15 about 5 years ago.

Also as someone else mentioned, a cook book. Once I started actually meal planning and cooking on a budget. As I have a 3 year old I bought a netmums cookbook so all recipes are family friendly :j

Naomi x
    Credit Cards NOV 2019 £33,220.42 Sept 2023 £19,951.00 Tilly Tidy 20223/COLOR] Sept £43.71 Here's my diary: A Ditherer's Diary Again
  • eco
    eco Posts: 1,147 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    not really a purchase but having a water meter fitted, i used to pay £27 a month as i live on my own i now pay £8, so with the money saved got 4 waterbutts in the garden,
    and i've got a breadmaker i've had it about 5 years cost £50, it's brill saved a packet
  • bennett2kuk
    bennett2kuk Posts: 93 Forumite
    Options
    Bought a pair of hair clippers from Boots when I was at uni to save on hairdressing costs.
    7 years later they're still going strong, saved me approximately £5 per month for the last 7 years = £420.
    Clippers cost £25 so they've saved me nearly £400 so far.
  • boddy
    boddy Posts: 3,326 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Bought a Remoska a cople of momths ago. Mainly because of the saving you can make on the electric bill. Also though it does everything bakes, grills roasts.

The savings I have made because of this site mean that Im making a huge difference on my debts and also managed to save quite a bit of money so far this year.
  • never_too_late_2
    Options
    beinerts wrote: »
    No word of a lie, an ex girlfriend's stepdad bought her mum a rotary for the garden, a kneeling mat for weeding and various kitchen implements (including pots and pans) for various birthday/xmas gifts. As far as I know they're still together :confused:

A few years back, my DH bought me a mop that you can put the liquid into and he genuinely gave it to me with a very serious "saw this and thought of you" comment! He's never quite lived that one down!! And I've made sure he's used it loads more than me ;) Ah revenge is sweet!!!
    Melt 7 lbs in May challenge - aim to lose 7 lbs :o

Starting weight: 150lbs (10st 10lbs / 68kgs):eek:
    Current weight: 147.7 lbs (10st 7.7/67 kgs)
    Ideal weight: 125lbs ish (8st 13lbs / 57kgs) :j - would love to be 8 stone something!!!
    Realistic aim: 132 lbs (9st 6lbs / 60kgs) :mad:
  • sproggi
    sproggi Posts: 1,560 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    For me it is simple
    the thing/s that I have bought that have saved me the most money are
    A pen and notepad!!

I write every penny I have spent down, it is amazing how seeing it in black and white has the effect of making you stop and think before spending.

It also comes in handy when the power companies call round, I answer the door and ask them to excuse me for a moment, grab the pen and notepad and then proceed to ask them 1001 questions making sure that I write down all of their answers, it seems to un-nerve them for some reason!, I then just thank them for their time saying I will go through and digest the information, then watch them run for the gate!!
    'We can get over being poor, but it takes longer to get over being ignorant'
    Jane Sequichie Hifler
    Beware of little expenses.A small leak will sink a great ship
    Benjamin Franklin
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills