PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Remoska cookers (merged)

Options

Comments

• shopndrop
    shopndrop Posts: 3,548 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks shopndrop, to be honest I don't really like my fan oven, find it has a very dry heat, unlike gas.

OK, so I lead on to the grande or standard question. I've read the many posts about family sizes etc, there are three of us two growing hungry teenage boys and me.

Now we love roast chicken,(and the chicken pies etc that follow) am I right in thinking the standard is a tight squeeze for a full family roast ? And do you recommend an additional rack or pan ?

I'm starting to cook more in bulk to utilize freezer space for real food rather than bulky oven chips and the like, so am really tempted to go for the grande.

Getting excited here :)

I have a grande and am really pleased that I got this one. Think the standard would have been too small for us. Most of the time there are only 2 of us, occasionally 3 of us, but I do cook a large chicken in mine no problem, (I do a large chicken so that I have enough for more than 1 meal). I think it would be a struggle in the standard although some people do manage. I also use various silicone bakeware in mine if I only want to cook a smaller quantity.

I did buy the rack as this was cheaper than the shallow pan. Some food is better cooked closer to the lid where the element is, so for these items I use the rack but again various people report that the shallow pan gives better results. Depends on how much you want to spend.
  • westcountrymaid_2
    Options
    Thanks shopndrop, to be honest I don't really like my fan oven, find it has a very dry heat, unlike gas.

OK, so I lead on to the grande or standard question. I've read the many posts about family sizes etc, there are three of us two growing hungry teenage boys and me.

Now we love roast chicken,(and the chicken pies etc that follow) am I right in thinking the standard is a tight squeeze for a full family roast ? And do you recommend an additional rack or pan ?

I'm starting to cook more in bulk to utilize freezer space for real food rather than bulky oven chips and the like, so am really tempted to go for the grande.

Getting excited here :)

I've used both the standard and the grand, I borrowed a standard for a week to try it out. In an ideal world I would love both of them. I liked the fact that the standard took up less space in the kitchen but as I like to cook the whole meal in one pot if I can, including a large chicken (cooked a 2kg chicken last week)I bought the grand. There are only two of us but I have been experimenting with using different size dishes inside the grand. I've got the rack which is useful.

If you live near a Lakeland store it would be worth taking a look at the size of the pans, when mine arrived my DH asked if I was going to feed the whole street!

I'm still a 'beginner' with the Remoska and getting lots of really useful advice and recipes here.
  • Different_Corner
    Options
    *Toddles off to lakeland with quidco earnings tucked in purse*

Thank you, grande it is.
    Will be back:)
    DC.
    "Some people walk in the rain... others just get wet... " - Roger Miller
  • paula7924
    Options

a545cb13.jpg

I've changed to a low-carb way of life so will you all PLEASE stop torturing me with tales of yorkshire puddings, scones, bread rolls, cakes........! :smiley:
    My name is Paula and I am a low carber :kiss: 1/6/08-83kg : 1/5/10-57kg :kiss: (Atkins/IPD) 24/1/13 - 69kg! Yikes!:cry::cry:
  • paula7924
    Options
    I have used a microfibre scourer and stainless steel cleaner.

The microfibre pad works on very new marks but needs ALOT of elbow grease and is no good on the baked on stuff.

The stainless steel cleaner was from M&S and bought originally for my frying pans. You still need quite alot of elbow grease and it does leave some slight scratching. The first time I used it I scrubbed at the splashes and ended up with a slightly spotty effect. The second time I did the whole lid and I only rubbed in one direction (effectively following a big circle all the way around the pan rather than rubbing centre to side or just individual marks). It seemed to mark less and the ones that there are (on the harder to clean stains) are all the same direction and so not so noticeable.

I wish I noticed the sploshes before they baked on though. (note to self - use the microfibre cloth on the lid everytime I use it just in case).:rolleyes:
    My name is Paula and I am a low carber :kiss: 1/6/08-83kg : 1/5/10-57kg :kiss: (Atkins/IPD) 24/1/13 - 69kg! Yikes!:cry::cry:
  • Triggles
    Triggles Posts: 2,281 Forumite
    Options
    Oh those yorkshire puddings look absolutely lovely! Now I have to try making them! See what you've started - I'd have been able to resist if you hadn't posted a picture!

I agree though that I have cringed the few times we've used the oven since we bought the remoska. I have to make Christmas cakes soon, and I'm determined to do it in the remoska. Well, I'll do one, and see how that turns out and go from there. ;)

We bought the grande (family of 5), and I'm glad we did. The favourites around here are roast chicken with roasted whole carrots and potatoes, and we'd never fit all that into the standard. We buy chickens that are fairly large and have had to adjust them a bit, but so far it's worked great - up to a 2.6kg chicken. :rotfl:

We're having barbeque pork ribs today, which are currently cooking in the slow cooker, and DH said "oh you're giving the remoska the day off?" Hardly! Since tea's cooking in the slow cooker, that leaves the remoska free for scones, bread, and possibly a test run of yorkshire puddings. :D
    MSE mum of DS(7), and DS(4) (and 2 adult DCs as well!)
    DFW Long haul supporters No 210
    :snow_grin Christmas 2013 is coming soon!!! :xmastree:
  • morganlefay
    morganlefay Posts: 1,220 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thank you so much mrsmcawber for your yorkshires recipe. I wanted to do Toad in the Hole and looked at about 5 different places for a batter recipe and they all said different things. So I did it your way, added a few fresh thyme leaves to the batter and it was FAB. Crisp, tasty, yum. My OH won't eat yorkshires so I have never bothered to make them (don't now if I can, even) but we'll certainly be having toad and your batter again. Big THANK YOU !:beer:
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Triggles wrote: »
    .... We bought the grande (family of 5), and I'm glad we did. The favourites around here are roast chicken with roasted whole carrots and potatoes, and we'd never fit all that into the standard. We buy chickens that are fairly large and have had to adjust them a bit, but so far it's worked great - up to a 2.6kg chicken. ...

I've been thinking about this because I love roast chicken too! I shall buy a large chicken from my butcher and get him to cut it in half for me, then I can cook half and freeze half. ;)

I'm only cooking for me and occasionally an elderly rellie so I've ordered the standard which will be plenty big enough.
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Options
    Hooraahhh Morganlefay

Another happy yorky pud eater :T

On the chicken debate -I have a standard -And do a 1300g chicken most weeks -it is so juicy and moist :j -there are only 2 of us but it generally does
    1. the roast dinner
    2. some leftovers go to make chicken n leek cobbler in r.e.m.e
    3. some leftovers chicken n veg pie
    4. the carcass and some leftover make hubbies batch of chicken n sweetcorn soup
    5. and quite often there is still some left :p
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • HypnoNu
    HypnoNu Posts: 677 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there fellow remoska lovers!

Just to let you know that the Lakeland in Windsor is having a Remoska Demonstration evening, they're showing recipes, having tasters and a free glass of wine/soft drink and there's 10% off everything, worth if for those of you that are tempted because it's a bit of a saving (not huge I know but it's something!!):money:

(edit: it's on the 19th November from 6.30pm onwards!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport