PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Remoska cookers (merged)

Options

Comments

• morganlefay
    morganlefay Posts: 1,220 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    OOOOH Hypno, when is it ? I've looked on their website and it doesn't say. I am now nearer to the new Bicester store than Windsor, but 10% off stuff is worth having. I hate going to Windsor as the car park is so cramped and horrible, but might force myself ! How funny if lots of us OSers go and don't realise - we should wear white carnations or something !!!!:rotfl:
  • Embee81
    Options
    Hi!

My nana just sent me a Remoska today because I just moved into a fairly nasty nurses' residence and don't at all like the look of the shared kitchen!

It seems fantastic but i don't really know where to start and the manual hasn't really offered many hints. For example: how long should I leave it to preheat and how do I know if it's ready? The lid sounds really scary- is it going to be easy to burn myself/set fire to the building? (A&E's within eyeshot but I'd still prefer to avoid it!) I'll ask nan too, but she hasn't picked up the phone so far... :p

Incidentally: my nan is a massive fan. She lives in a sort of retirement complex and the kitchen provided is very pokey. At 87 years old she reckons her Remoska has reintroduced her to 'proper' cooking! Having played a bit more with mine I am sort of worried about her managing the lid though...

Anyway, would be very grateful for any hints and cooking tips generally as I am a complete novice :confused:
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    dont pre heat it, just throw the food in and check it after 15-20mins to see if it's ready !
  • shopndrop
    shopndrop Posts: 3,548 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tonight's tea was pasta cod bake with tomatoes and mozzarella, just 25/30 mins in the Moska - another success. Really easy and ideal for a mid week meal.
  • newleaf
    newleaf Posts: 3,132 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Embee81 wrote: »
    Hi!

My nana just sent me a Remoska today because I just moved into a fairly nasty nurses' residence and don't at all like the look of the shared kitchen!

It seems fantastic but i don't really know where to start and the manual hasn't really offered many hints. For example: how long should I leave it to preheat and how do I know if it's ready? The lid sounds really scary- is it going to be easy to burn myself/set fire to the building? (A&E's within eyeshot but I'd still prefer to avoid it!) I'll ask nan too, but she hasn't picked up the phone so far... :p

Incidentally: my nan is a massive fan. She lives in a sort of retirement complex and the kitchen provided is very pokey. At 87 years old she reckons her Remoska has reintroduced her to 'proper' cooking! Having played a bit more with mine I am sort of worried about her managing the lid though...

Anyway, would be very grateful for any hints and cooking tips generally as I am a complete novice :confused:

Hello Embee, and welcome!
    The lid does get very hot, so if you are using it in your room you will need to organise your space very carefully before you start cooking, and make sure you have planned somewhere to place the lid (upside down) before you remove it from the Moski. A heatproof 'worktop saver' type of thing would be great.
    For tips, I'm afraid you will just have to start wading through this thread from the beginning - and talk to Nan, of course. I'm sure you will find your new Moski very useful indeed. :)
    Official DFW Nerd No 096 - Proud to have dealt with my debt!
  • champys
    champys Posts: 1,101 Forumite
    Options
    shopndrop wrote: »
    Tonight's tea was pasta cod bake with tomatoes and mozzarella, just 25/30 mins in the Moska - another success. Really easy and ideal for a mid week meal.

For ours I coated some fresh fish fillets which I baked on the bottom of the pan, and did potato wedges on the rack on top. I pre-zapped the potatoes in the microwave first as suggested in an earlier post, and it was fab (I did start the wedges first though, then put the fish in after 10 mins or so). While the Remoska was cooking, I grated some carrot and celeriac for salad, and fried up courgette slices for veg. Lovely!
    "Remember that many of the things you have now you could once only dream of" - Epicurus
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    MRSMCAWBER wrote: »
    On the chicken debate -I have a standard -And do a 1300g chicken most weeks -it is so juicy and moist ...

trots off to check what 1300g is in Olde English
    .... hmm 2.87lbs.... thanks MrsMC, that's put my mind at rest re chicken sizes ;)

I wish I still lived in driving distance of Windsor :( nothing interesting ever happened when I was there, not in Lakeland anyway, and where else in Windsor is anything exciting likely to happen ...... :D
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • HypnoNu
    HypnoNu Posts: 677 Forumite
    Options
    OOOOH Hypno, when is it ? I've looked on their website and it doesn't say. I am now nearer to the new Bicester store than Windsor, but 10% off stuff is worth having. I hate going to Windsor as the car park is so cramped and horrible, but might force myself ! How funny if lots of us OSers go and don't realise - we should wear white carnations or something !!!!:rotfl:

oops! Sorry it's the 19th November, I think it starts from 6.30pm...
  • apple_mint
    apple_mint Posts: 1,102 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thank you for all the tips on Yorkie making in the remoska. I made half a dozen yesterday using the little silicon fairy cake holders from ASDA. They were absolutely delicious. A real success :j
    Enjoying an MSE OS life :D
  • westcountrymaid_2
    Options
    I'm cooking a small joint of pork today with crackling, do I need to wrap it or cover it in foil and then take it off towards the end to cook the crackling or do I just put it in the Remoska without any foil? I've not cooked a joint of meat so far, only a chicken and that was lovely.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport