Which mattress? (merged threads)

Options

Comments

• Soubrette
    Soubrette Posts: 4,118 Forumite
    Options
    I've been looking to buy replacement matresses for my two mid teenage girls. Neither have back problems and both are light for their age (below 7 stone). Would open coil mattresses be ok for them as they seem much cheaper than pocket sprung ones?

Sou
  • Tim_Deegan
    Tim_Deegan Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    Options
    Soubrette wrote: »
    I've been looking to buy replacement matresses for my two mid teenage girls. Neither have back problems and both are light for their age (below 7 stone). Would open coil mattresses be ok for them as they seem much cheaper than pocket sprung ones?

Sou

Pocket sprung mattresses give better support, and as you say are far more expensive. However one of the other main reasons why people buy pocket sprung mattresses is to stop roll together. Obviously this isn't a requirement for single mattresses.

There are some very good quality, top of the range open coil sprung mattresses available on the market, that should be fine.
  • Soubrette
    Options
    Tim_Deegan wrote: »
    Pocket sprung mattresses give better support, and as you say are far more expensive. However one of the other main reasons why people buy pocket sprung mattresses is to stop roll together. Obviously this isn't a requirement for single mattresses.

There are some very good quality, top of the range open coil sprung mattresses available on the market, that should be fine.

Thanks Tim - would you be allowed to comment on a mattress spec such as this one?
    8" (20cm) deep
    13 gauge Bonnell open coil spring unit
    reinforced with 9 gauge steel rod frame
    medium firm support
    microquilted woven damask cover
    quilted side wall
    thick layers of hypoallergenic fillings

As a complete mattress novice I have no idea if the above is good quality or not :)

Sou
  • Tim_Deegan
    Options
    Thanks Tim - would you be allowed to comment on a mattress spec such as this one?

As a complete mattress novice I have no idea if the above is good quality or not :)

Sou

I would say that the one you quoted is middle of the range. I wouldn't pay more than £70 + delivery for a single in that spec.
  • Tim_Deegan
    Options
    b_hunters wrote: »
    my wife has just purchased a silentnight mirapocket mattress (apparantly it has mini pocket springs on top on the ordinary springs) for us from a site called mattress.co.uk, she tested the mattress in mfi first and then price checked online for the best price. i can see from tim's responses he isn't a silentnight fan but i have to say i'm impressed with the mrs' choice for once.

I don't think you will be impressed at all in one to two years time.
  • Wistful_2
    Wistful_2 Posts: 102 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

Sou, I sympathise, there is so much choice.

Just been into a shop called "Feather & Black". I think their mattresses are made by Harrisons (anyone know if they are good?). They have a king size 1600 pocket spring filled with a blend of horse hair, cotton and wool. Within each spring is a smaller spring which provides extra comfort, so the salesman said. And you can have each side made a different firmness which could be useful for us as one of us is short and heavy the other is long and light (not saying which is which!).

Trouble is it's £850. Plus delivery, and they won't take our old one away which is a real pain. And their divan bases are £500 vs Dreams £70. I know you get what you pay for but !

I have no idea if it's really worth paying £850 to get one side a bit firmer than the other. Though I take Tim's point that a cheapo will get uncomfortable after a couple of years.

MFI. Good idea to try something out there them buy it at half the price online.

Cathode: the Millbrook has a sprung base.
  • Tim_Deegan
    Options
    I didn't say that a cheapo would be uncomfortable in a couple of years. I said that a Silentnight probably won't last that long.

You are still going for big brands, and big expensive chains. So you will end up paying way over the top.

I thought you were looking at beds on line?
  • Wistful_2
    Wistful_2 Posts: 102 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tim_Deegan wrote: »
    I didn't say that a cheapo would be uncomfortable in a couple of years. I said that a Silentnight probably won't last that long.

You are still going for big brands, and big expensive chains. So you will end up paying way over the top.

I thought you were looking at beds on line?

Tim,

Might well end up buying online. I emailed Kozeesleep asking for shops in our area so we could go and try one out, but haven't had a reply from them yet.

Thanks for your message.
  • strawberryberry
    Options
    Tim , been reading lots of your excellent advice from many posts thank you.
    I thought i had it worked out on what type of mattress to get , pocket spring, memory foam of the specs you advised and dont get a non-turn one. Confusion set in then when i read that it was difficult to get a two sided matress but if its not and you turn it over you would be just sleeping on the ordinary springs and would this damage the memory bit ?
    Im sure you said stay away from well known brands but youve got a sealy calypso - i noticed that these were still on sale but will these be as good now theyve been taken over by S/N ?
    thank you for any help
  • Soubrette
    Options
    Wistful wrote: »
    Sou, I sympathise, there is so much choice.

So much choice and so much jargon :)

Sou
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills