Which mattress? (merged threads)

Options

Comments

• Tim_Deegan
    Tim_Deegan Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, Sealy are now part of the Silentnight Group, but thankfully that doesn't mean that Sealy mattrasses have moved over to Silentnight quality.

Unfortunately it appears that their quality has dropped. From what I gather the Sealy Posturetech spring system is actually Miracoil. Many manufacturers started to make their own version of Miracoil, but have now stopped due to the springs being very unreliable, and very noisey.

I was surprised to hear from a few of my customers that their Sealy had only lasted a couple of years at the most. Before I realised that they were now the same company as Silentnight I was shocked as Sealy were known as good quality.
  • Tim_Deegan
    Options
    TiTheRev wrote: »
    So, which would you now recommend as a good brand? If my complaint is upheld and I get some compensation then I want to know which mattress brand is good, as I will not be getting a Silentnight one again!

I'm afraid that they probably won't give you a refund. They are more likely to replace it.
  • TiTheRev
    TiTheRev Posts: 3,215 Forumite
    Options
    Tim_Deegan wrote: »
    I'm afraid that they probably won't give you a refund. They are more likely to replace it.
    Well I guess that's better than nothing...then I can sell it on eBay and use the money towards another make :T ;)

What make would you recommend (off the record, so it's not advertising!)?
    :A Luke 6:38 :A
    The above post is either from personal experience or is my opinion based on the person God has made me and the way I understand things. Please don't be offended if that opinion differs from yours, but feel free to click the 'Thanks' button if it's at all helpful!
  • cathodetube
    cathodetube Posts: 273 Forumite
    Options
    I have some recommendations:- I have bought Dunlopillo, Vi-Spring, Millbrook and John Lewis mattresses/beds over the years. I have liked all of them. If you can get to a John Lewis branch then try out their own brand mattresses. I currently have one in my guest room (pocket sprung) and everyone who sleeps in it remarks on the comfort. It is the Jonelle brand and is called Renoir. I bought in their sale a few years back. They are available in different levels of firmness. Vi-Spring is v. expensive, the one I have was bought on sale from Arding and Hobbs in London which doesn't exist anymore.

Dunlopillo now have ones with latex and springs. Pocket sprung mattresses are usually quite heavy to turn so remember that if you live on your own. Latex and memory foam ones aren't. Dreams sell Millbrook beds and that company does large doubles ( 5 feet wide) that are two singles which zip together.

Tempur Beds (memory foam) do two singles that go up and down independently. They are very expensive. Feather and Black stock some Tempur Beds and I know Selfridges used to sell them. I think Relyon also do something similar. Have a look on the John Lewis website for those as well.
    Personally I believe in spending a decent amount on a good mattress/bed as you are spending so much time on it and it should last for 10 years or more. What price a good night's sleep?
  • Tim_Deegan
    Options
    TiTheRev wrote: »
    Well I guess that's better than nothing...then I can sell it on eBay and use the money towards another make :T ;)

What make would you recommend (off the record, so it's not advertising!)?

Unfortunately I can't recommend any brands in the forums because I sell beds, and it would be viewed as advertising, which is against MSE rules.

One thing I can say is: avoid the big brands if possible because they tend to concentrate on 'high volume/high advertising budget/low build quality'.
  • TiTheRev
    TiTheRev Posts: 3,215 Forumite
    Options
    Fair enough, thanks...
    :A Luke 6:38 :A
    The above post is either from personal experience or is my opinion based on the person God has made me and the way I understand things. Please don't be offended if that opinion differs from yours, but feel free to click the 'Thanks' button if it's at all helpful!
  • Tim_Deegan
    Options
    I have some recommendations:- I have bought Dunlopillo, Vi-Spring, Millbrook and John Lewis mattresses/beds over the years. I have liked all of them. If you can get to a John Lewis branch then try out their own brand mattresses. I currently have one in my guest room (pocket sprung) and everyone who sleeps in it remarks on the comfort. It is the Jonelle brand and is called Renoir. I bought in their sale a few years back. They are available in different levels of firmness. Vi-Spring is v. expensive, the one I have was bought on sale from Arding and Hobbs in London which doesn't exist anymore.

I too have previously owned a Vi-Spring bed. It was very comfortable, but no more than any other good quality pocket sprung mattress for much less money.

I have recently heard that Dunlopillo have been taken over by Slumberland, and their quality has now dropped. This is actually mentioned in another thread on here.

Millbrook and John Lewis are also like Vi-Sprung (very expensive for what you get).

Dunlopillo now have ones with latex and springs. Pocket sprung mattresses are usually quite heavy to turn so remember that if you live on your own. Latex and memory foam ones aren't.

All mattresses should be turned on a regular basis in order to make them wear evenly. Non turn mattresses are actually just a sales gimmick as well as being a way to produce mattresses cheaper.

Tempur Beds (memory foam) do two singles that go up and down independently. They are very expensive. Feather and Black stock some Tempur Beds and I know Selfridges used to sell them. I think Relyon also do something similar. Have a look on the John Lewis website for those as well.
    Personally I believe in spending a decent amount on a good mattress/bed as you are spending so much time on it and it should last for 10 years or more. What price a good night's sleep?

Don't take this the wrong way, but this site is supposed to be about saving money. All the manufacturers you have mentioned are very very expensive. If you stay away from the big brand names you can get quality that is just as good as the expensive brands for a fraction of the price.
  • cathodetube
    cathodetube Posts: 273 Forumite
    Options
    Re: my previous post - I paid £460 for the Renoir double Jonelle bed; £580 for the Millbrook bed and £630 for the Vi-Spring bed. I would never buy a Vi-Spring for full price or indeed any of the others. They were all on sale as they were previously floor models. I could not have afforded them full price. I was trying to suggest comfortable mattresses.

I also think some of the memory foam ones are very good value. For example Lidl regularly sells them. They are about £130 for a double mattress. A friend bought one and it is very comfortable. I have moved away from very firm mattresses as I have got older.

A firmrest Dunlopillo mattress I bought in 1990 could not be turned over. It was padded only on the top. That mattress lasted me for over 13 years. I found it too firm at that point. It is also worth considering the base you have your mattress on. If you have a sprung edge one then the mattress will be softer.
  • Tim_Deegan
    Options
    I also think some of the memory foam ones are very good value. For example Lidl regularly sells them. They are about £130 for a double mattress.

Allways check out the specification on cheap memory foam mattresses. There is usually a very good reason why they are cheap. I'm not saying they won't be comfortable, but you may not be getting the support that you should from a memory foam mattress.
  • tompparker
    tompparker Posts: 76 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks everyone, will take a look at the brands mentioned here.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure