Which mattress? (merged threads)

Options

Comments

• Tim_Deegan
    Tim_Deegan Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    Options
    TiTheRev wrote: »
    Thanks for the info :D e-mail sent ;):T

Any luck getting a refund off Silentnight??
  • TiTheRev
    TiTheRev Posts: 3,215 Forumite
    Options
    Tim_Deegan wrote: »
    Any luck getting a refund off Silentnight??
    Still waiting, but we didnt return the forms straight away :rolleyes:
    :A Luke 6:38 :A
    The above post is either from personal experience or is my opinion based on the person God has made me and the way I understand things. Please don't be offended if that opinion differs from yours, but feel free to click the 'Thanks' button if it's at all helpful!
  • Tim_Deegan
    Options
    Have you tried calling them?
  • TiTheRev
    Options
    Got a responce to an email and was sent a complaint form which they needed filling out plus copy of proof of purchase. Don't suppose they'd do that over the phone?!
    The above post is either from personal experience or is my opinion based on the person God has made me and the way I understand things. Please don't be offended if that opinion differs from yours, but feel free to click the 'Thanks' button if it's at all helpful!
  • Tim_Deegan
    Options
    Probably not, but don't let them drag their feet.
  • TiTheRev
    Options
    Don't worry, im on the case ;)
  • Wistful_2
    Wistful_2 Posts: 102 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tim_Deegan wrote: »
    All mattresses should be turned on a regular basis in order to make them wear evenly. Non turn mattresses are actually just a sales gimmick as well as being a way to produce mattresses cheaper.

Don't take this the wrong way, but this site is supposed to be about saving money. All the manufacturers you have mentioned are very very expensive. If you stay away from the big brand names you can get quality that is just as good as the expensive brands for a fraction of the price.

Well, am I glad I found this site!

Just been to Dreams and nearly bought a non-turn pocket spring with foam on top mattress for £630. Would that have been a mistake? Their divan base was only an extra £70 which looked like a good deal.

Harveys had something similar which we nearly went for too.

Tim, I think we would like to hear your opinions! Yes we know you sell beds but my guess is you are an independent and can give a relatively unbiased view of what's best.

We're now thinking we should go for a pocket spring turnable with no foam.

We want a new mattress and a divan base. How much should we pay to get a good one without overpaying? Where to buy and which makes to consider and particularly which makes to avoid?
  • Wistful_2
    Options
    If you can get to a John Lewis branch then try out their own brand mattresses. I currently have one in my guest room (pocket sprung) and everyone who sleeps in it remarks on the comfort. It is the Jonelle brand and is called Renoir. I bought in their sale a few years back. They are available in different levels of firmness.

Anyone else had experience of the Jonelle Renoir? Just been on the John Lewis site and can't see that make there.
  • cathodetube
    cathodetube Posts: 273 Forumite
    Options
    Re Renoir Jonelle, they have probably changed the names now but you could call or call in to the bedding department of a branch and ask them. I bought mine 5 years ago. The 150 cm one has 1363 pocket springs in it. Also look out for the Millbrook Horizon pocket sprung ones at Dreams. I am sleeping on one of those at the moment. I bought it at Arding and Hobbs before they closed. They need turning. There are 1400 pocket springs in the 4'6" version. The padding on the top makes a difference as does the base, sprung or non sprung.
  • Wistful_2
    Options
    Re Renoir Jonelle, they have probably changed the names now but you could call or call in to the bedding department of a branch and ask them. I bought mine 5 years ago. The 150 cm one has 1363 pocket springs in it. Also look out for the Millbrook Horizon pocket sprung ones at Dreams. I am sleeping on one of those at the moment. I bought it at Arding and Hobbs before they closed. They need turning. There are 1400 pocket springs in the 4'6" version. The padding on the top makes a difference as does the base, sprung or non sprung.

Cathodetube, thank you. Had a look at the Dreams website. They have a few Millbrooks, though not one called Horizon. In King size the Cranborne has 1400 pocket springs topped with polyester, cotton and soft lambswool for £729, the Woburn 2000 "topped with luxurious layers of silk and wool for ultimate comfort" for £829.

Both pretty expensive: is that what you pay for a good mattress or can something just as good be had elsewhere for a lot less?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure