🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Which mattress? (merged threads)

Options

Comments

• Tim_Deegan
    Tim_Deegan Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    Options
    Tim , been reading lots of your excellent advice from many posts thank you.
    I thought i had it worked out on what type of mattress to get , pocket spring, memory foam of the specs you advised and dont get a non-turn one. Confusion set in then when i read that it was difficult to get a two sided matress but if its not and you turn it over you would be just sleeping on the ordinary springs and would this damage the memory bit ?

If you turned an one sided pocket sprung /memory foam mattress over it wouldn't be a case of it being like a pocket sprung only mattress at all. THey don't actually put any quilting on the other side, so it isn't suitable to sleep on.

Im sure you said stay away from well known brands but youve got a sealy calypso - i noticed that these were still on sale but will these be as good now theyve been taken over by S/N ?
    thank you for any help

Where did you get Sealy Calypso from??

The Calypso wasn't made by Sealy. In fact Sealy don't do a two sided memory foam mattress.

The mattress I have now is actually the Madrid which is made by La Romantics Beds which is a two sided pocket sprung/memory foam mattress.
  • Tim_Deegan
    Options
    Soubrette wrote: »
    So much choice and so much jargon :)

Sou

That's why I come on here, to help people through the mine field.
  • shesbenevolent
    Options
    I have read through everything and have come to the conclusion that the best mattress for me to go for, would be a pocket sprung memory foam mattress.

My question is, how do I go about finding and buying one? I would like to keep it as cheap as possible but obviously get one of a decent quality. I am looking for a king size and I don't mind whether I purchase it online or in a shop.

I found the La Romantica Madrid for £419, kingsize. Is that a good price?

Where is best to go and what is best to purchase?

Thank you for your help!
  • Hestia
    Hestia Posts: 40 Forumite
    Options
    I got my sealy for £350 delivered, king size, which included them taking the old one away. Re price, £419 isn't bad (I've seen MUCH higher) depending on the spring count and thickness of the foam.
  • RockGypsy
    RockGypsy Posts: 575 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Slightly off topic but I bought this bed last year.Its been the most uncomfortable bed Ive ever had(and Ive had £50 beds from local paper) plus its falling to bits.Just thought Id post in case anyone is considering buying one....DON`T.
    Getting a new bed on weds,only 4 more sleepless nights left:j:j
    Heres the bed in question.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/6653695/c_1/1|category_root|Home%2Band%2Bfurniture|10197552/c_2/2|cat_10197552|Beds|10197645/c_3/3|cat_10197645|Double%2Bbeds|10197666.htm
    :A :shocked::shocked: :A
  • mccloskey4
    Options
    i spent a long time deciding on the best mattress if yu knw you dont want foam but want a good quality single mattress i would go for pocket sprung and try to get more than 1000 springs - pocket sprung are individual sections where as coil sprung is the tradition kind where thay are all together.

i went round the bed shops and tested them and chose a memory foam pocket sprung one.

you should go and try them to decide whats best for you, lie down flat on your side and roll about a bit, you'll feel embaraased but its worth it as who lyes like a statue in bed.

i took notes of favourites and costs and asked if they did reductions for cash. and what the charge was for delivery - most dotn reduce and do charge delivery and take 2 weeks.

then i compared online and found after a lot of dredging the web that mattress man was quickest and cheapest.

hope this helps
  • Tim_Deegan
    Options
    RockGypsy wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but I bought this bed last year.Its been the most uncomfortable bed Ive ever had(and Ive had £50 beds from local paper) plus its falling to bits.Just thought Id post in case anyone is considering buying one....DON`T.
    Getting a new bed on weds,only 4 more sleepless nights left:j:j
    Heres the bed in question.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/6653695/c_1/1|category_root|Home%2Band%2Bfurniture|10197552/c_2/2|cat_10197552|Beds|10197645/c_3/3|cat_10197645|Double%2Bbeds|10197666.htm

Your old bed appears to be a budget one. It claims that it has high loft fillings, yet the top of the mattress is completely flat. This would indicate hardly any quilting at all.

Out of interest, what is your new bed?
  • Soubrette
    Soubrette Posts: 4,118 Forumite
    Options
    I'm reluctant to spend a ton of money on the girls' mattresses (one of them needs replacing due to a rodent malfunction leading to a big hole and a load of stuffing disappearing :rolleyes: ) but on the other hand my 15 year old is complaining that the mattress that came with her bed some 5 years ago allows her to feel the springs so I want something midrange and reasonable.

I've found this for £95 online:
    • hand tufted
    • 10 inches deep
    • 13.5 gauge spring unit
    • 9 gauge frame
    • suitable for all types of bed
    I've asked them to clarify how firm the bed is - a medium one is what I'm really after and I intend to take the girls to test some mattresses next week. I'm assuming due to the price that it is open coil rather than pocket sprung :)

Is this more on the right track Tim?

Sou
  • Tim_Deegan
    Options
    Soubrette wrote: »
    I'm reluctant to spend a ton of money on the girls' mattresses (one of them needs replacing due to a rodent malfunction leading to a big hole and a load of stuffing disappearing :rolleyes: ) but on the other hand my 15 year old is complaining that the mattress that came with her bed some 5 years ago allows her to feel the springs so I want something midrange and reasonable.

I've found this for £95 online:
    • hand tufted
    • 10 inches deep
    • 13.5 gauge spring unit
    • 9 gauge frame
    • suitable for all types of bed
    I've asked them to clarify how firm the bed is - a medium one is what I'm really after and I intend to take the girls to test some mattresses next week. I'm assuming due to the price that it is open coil rather than pocket sprung :)

Is this more on the right track Tim?

Sou

This mattress is open coil sprung and is medium. I was surprised at first that they didn't say this on the listing. Then I saw that you said it had a '9 gauge frame', which was when I realised that they don't know much about the products that they are selling. It should say 9 gauge steel rod edge. If it was a 9 gauge fram then it would be like sleeping on a cast iron cage.

Do you have a link for the listing?
  • Soubrette
    Soubrette Posts: 4,118 Forumite
    Options
    Tim_Deegan wrote: »
    This mattress is open coil sprung and is medium. I was surprised at first that they didn't say this on the listing. Then I saw that you said it had a '9 gauge frame', which was when I realised that they don't know much about the products that they are selling. It should say 9 gauge steel rod edge. If it was a 9 gauge fram then it would be like sleeping on a cast iron cage.

Do you have a link for the listing?

Yup - here

Sou
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business