Options

Comments

• ACID
    ACID Posts: 1,209 Forumite
    Options
    ACID wrote: »
    what does everything think of this
    its the size i need
    4ft by 6ft 3 (cannto find other with this exact size)
    orthopaedic
    good price?
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4-BACKCARE-ORTHOPAEDIC-Small-Double-Size-Bed-Mattress_W0QQitemZ390020885868QQihZ026QQcategoryZ20479QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

your thoughts..anything similar out there>

anyone help with the above..personally i think its ideal..
  • jatwap
    jatwap Posts: 34 Forumite
    Options
    grogs wrote: »
    OK... I've read through a fair chunk of this lengthy thread, and have ascertained that the 'ideal' mattress would appear to have the following:

- V60 foam (optimum depth between 2" and no more than 2.5")
    - Double sided
    - 1000 to 1800 springs

I'm 6' 4", and have quite bad back problems (about to see a spinal physiotherapist because I have rampant sciatica charging down my right leg courtesy of my lower back), so I'm assuming a sprung/memory foam combo would be best for me. Problem is, there are so many to choose from, that even with the above 'ideal' criteria, I can see hundreds to choose from... I need an 'IKEA' king sized mattress. What are the La Romantica Madrid/Venice ones like that were shown a few pages back?

If anyone has any personal recommendations for me, that would help me greatly. Thanks for any help!

I'd also be interested in any responses to this as I'm in a similar position...
  • Masonthedog
    Options
    Hi,
    I recently went to Dreams, where I spent 2hrs testing several different mattresses and finally settled on the Slumberland Belgravia which suited us both, though at £899, excl delivery it was expensive. I was assured that if we were not happy with the mattress we would be covered by the Comfort Guarantee, as we also like a Sealy mattress, which was £200 less.
    On returning home, I researched the mattress and found that it was specifically named for Dreams, so it could not be price checked and Slumberland did not give details of it on their website. Further to this I found many posts/reviews by disgruntled customers of Dreams. This caused my wife to check the terms and conditions of the Comfort Guarentee, which we then found would not provide any refund at all and would only replace a mattress at the same price or more (I would have to cover the difference) and that I would have to pay for delivery for the mattress to go back to them and for the new to be delivered to me, further £64 and another 4 week wait!

Further research showed another mattress by Slumberland on their website called the Memory Seal Supreme, which had what looks to be the same specification as the Belgravia – 1600 pocket springs and 70mm memory foam. I can get the Memory Seal Supreme at £415, incl delivery, does anybody know if these are the same mattresses?

The other mattress I am interested in is the La Romantica Madrid, which has less pocket spring (1000) and less memory foam (2’), though it is a two-sided mattress. I have found it a £379, excl delivery, can anybody advise on the Madrid or any other similar mattresses?

Thanks.
  • bryal99
    bryal99 Posts: 42 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Having taken the time to trawl through all the posts I recently purchased a single M and S allergy £79 mattress for the spare bed in my daughters room. I didn't want to spend a fortune, but didn't want total rubish either! Anyway just posting to say, having slept on it the other night - it is very comfortable and I would recommend it as a cheap, basic mattress. The only downside was the odour/smell which has now faded but was dreadful on opening the packaging. Thank you everyone for your help!
  • yosser444
    Options
    Hi this is my first post so apologies if any etiquette is incorrect. I have read through a fair bit of this thread and thought I knew what I wanted. We had decided on trying to buy a good quality pocket sprung mattress with divan and drawers. The OH did not want to risk a pocket sprung with memory foam in case it was too hot.

We have today looked at a fair few of the major stores plus a local independent. The choice is mind boggling and comparison store to store difficult. So takings Tim's advice that a local independent is perhaps a better route could anyone please give me any advice if this divan and mattress is a reasonable choice?

http://www.bedswarehouse.co.uk/Sweet-Dreams-Zara-Ortho-Double-Divan.html

This not the independent we are buying from but is the exact bed and the price is almost identical. The price from the independent is £499 with two drawers with free delivery and free removal of the old bed. We are have not bought it yet but want to make a decision soon.

Any comments welcome.
    £100 to £10k challenge = Spent £0, Profit £25
    (31.12.09)
  • zeberdy
    zeberdy Posts: 90 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Yosser just took a look I'm no expert so cant comment like you we wont really know what we are buying till we sleep on it for a week and then the million dollar question is how long it will last ?

I dont know but have you visited their web site here http://www.sweetdreamsuk.com/pocket/zara.htm

This would be £250 cheaper than the Relyon I have my eye on and it may be as good or the same without paying for the big name.

I see that my local bed store stock's them may see if they have one and go and spend the night there.

zeberdy
  • fuzzybear01
    fuzzybear01 Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    Options
    I'm looking to buy a new mattress from Argos, seeing as though I have vouchers for around £300. I've noticed they have some pocket sprung mattresses that are supposedly half price or less e.g. £1000 to £303 (yeah right) or some unknown brands that are normally around £300 anyway. Just wondering if anyone can help
  • zeberdy
    Options
    Ok all Still doing the research on the Holly Grail a decent bed and found these interesting sites the first gives you a host of manufacturers that belong to the NBF National Federation http://www.bedfed.org.uk/productsearch/index.cfm

The second is a link from this site that looks handy not digested it all yet http://www.sleepcouncil.org.uk/

Sleep tight

Zeberdy
  • zeberdy
    Options
    Back again sorry to be a pain but this probably condences a lot of info Tim has been giving out in the 50 odd pages in this thread http://www.sleepcouncil.org.uk/BedAdvice/faqs.cfm#faq4

Just printed of for some night time reading in my old Relyon

This is even better gives a real insight in to bed construction and helps you ask the right questions to know what you are getting or not as the case may be for your money you can send of or download the PDF here http://www.sleepcouncil.org.uk/Leaflets/downloads/bed_buyers_guide.pdf

Too much reading need to find a comfy bed to read it in
  • fuzzybear01
    fuzzybear01 Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    Options
    Bit wary that the sleep council website may just be an organisation set up by bed companies to encourage people to spend more money on a mattress
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure