Which mattress? (merged threads)

Options

Comments

• contrarymaryx
    Options
    When we first set up home together, my husband and I bought a very cheap double bed with the intention of replacing it as soon as we could. Twelve years on, to my shame and embarrassment, we are still using this bed even though the mattress has been lumpy and uncomfortable for a long time and now the base has begun to collapse - I think the time has definitely come that we must replace it.

My husband suffers from aches in his back and shoulders and I have arthritis in my spine and hips. We are both rather heavy and he often keeps me awake with his awful snoring. I think we really need something bigger than a 4'6" bed but am wondering if the extra 6" of a king size would be enough to make much difference or would we be better going for a super king size or two single beds? Although my husband is aghast at the suggestion of separate beds, I quite like the idea as then I could put more space between us when his snoring get too much for me and also, they wouldn't be as long as a super king size, which wouldn't give us much room between the bottom of the bed and the wardrobes.

Ideally,after reading Tim's advice, I would like a pocket sprung mattress with double sided memory foam, on a divan base with four drawers (storage space is essential) but I'm not sure that our budget of £800 max will cover what I would like? Taking into account our weight and bad backs, what would you suggest the next best type would be for us within our budget, pocket sprung without memory foam or coiled springs with memory foam? Would it be best to have a sprung edged base?

As is obvious, I know very little about beds, so apologies for so many questions and such a long post. Any advice and suggestions will be more than welcome.
  • alictait
    alictait Posts: 534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Personally I would say that if you have the space for it superking is the way to go. We bought a superking bed when we came back from America a couple of years ago and it is fantastic. We wouldn't ever want to change.

We are seriously considering THIS which would come in round about your budget for your needs. Obviously King would be cheaper still.
    If at first you don't succeed - destroy all evidence that you tried.
  • blaque*angel
    blaque*angel Posts: 1,177 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    what do you guys think of memory foam mattresses?
    i have a superking size bed and a memory foam mattress at first it was great, now the sides of the mattress feels like it is sucking you in! like you are gonna sleep on the slacks,its very uncomfotable but the middle is still fine! (crazy explanation i know!)
    i only got it 5 months ago, i wonder if i have any rights since the description says it has a 15 year guarantee?
  • contrarymaryx
    Options
    alictait wrote: »
    Personally I would say that if you have the space for it superking is the way to go. We bought a superking bed when we came back from America a couple of years ago and it is fantastic. We wouldn't ever want to change.

We are seriously considering THIS which would come in round about your budget for your needs. Obviously King would be cheaper still.

Thanks alictait. I would love this bed. I've seen it recommended and it sounds perfect for us but with the storage that we need and the delivery charge on top, it takes us well over our budget which we really can't afford at the moment. I suppose we could go for the king size instead of the super but I'm not convinced we would get much benefit from only 6" extra width.:confused:
  • TomsMom
    TomsMom Posts: 4,251 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    he often keeps me awake with his awful snoring. I think we really need something bigger than a 4'6" bed but am wondering if the extra 6" of a king size would be enough to make much difference or would we be better going for a super king size or two single beds? Although my husband is aghast at the suggestion of separate beds, I quite like the idea as then I could put more space between us when his snoring get too much for me and also, they wouldn't be as long as a super king size, which wouldn't give us much room between the bottom of the bed and the wardrobes.

Get the biggest you can afford/which fits in your room. OH and I are average size and a 4'6" bed drives me mad if ever we go anywhere and have to sleep in one.

As for the snoring, single beds wont help with that unless they are in separate rooms :D.
  • contrarymaryx
    Options
    TomsMom wrote: »
    As for the snoring, single beds wont help with that unless they are in separate rooms :D.

Unless I kick one of our sons out :idea: in order to get a spare room, it looks like I'm stuck with the snoring then :eek:

We've tried a number of beds in shops and decided we prefer a firm-ish mattress. Over the weekend, I have looked at so many sites and beds and read so many posts on the forums, I think I've tried to take too much in and have got myself more confused than ever :confused:
  • povster
    povster Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    No probs, you can phone onlinebeds.com and they will get within 7 days (http://www.onlinebeds.com/) at £379 for a double or Bedlum Beds also stock the Madrid at £415, but also provide a decent returns guarantee (http://www.bedlum-beds.co.uk/section/0/La-Romantica).

I'm more than likely going to go with Bedlum Beds, but going through this thread I noticed a few people mention the La Romantica range, but nobody has put up a post as to how it was once they got it?

Good Luck.

Emailed onlinebeds.com today and got the qoute for £379 + £15 delivery for La Romantica Madrid Mattress (which is not listed on their website)

Good job I checked the spec with them as turns out its only memory foam ONE SIDE!! Not 2" both sides as listed on bedlum-beds (£415)

Please beware anybody thinking it is the same its not! And I'm not sure why/how??
  • grogs_2
    Options
    jenhug wrote: »
    not sure if Tim can give you much info, but as he sells them in his shop it may well speak for itself?

Ahh! Didn't realise that (must have missed it in this mega thread)... What's his shop? I could always get his advice and go elsewhere... :rotfl:

Just joking... ;)
  • littlelouna
    Options
    Hi ,

after reading this thread again and again; i went on to research for a good mattress. i came accross this one? http://www.body-impressions.co.uk/SI...=1191411110318
    do you guys think it is any good?
  • alictait
    alictait Posts: 534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi ,

after reading this thread again and again; i went on to research for a good mattress. i came accross this one? http://www.body-impressions.co.uk/SI...=1191411110318
    do you guys think it is any good?

Correct me if I am wrong but it doesn't tell you the thickness of the actual memory foam layer. Only the total mattress thickness.

I see they are also offering Sleep Secrets as part of their product range. Our Sleep Secrets Topper lasted about 2 years. So I wouldn't be buying that range again.
    If at first you don't succeed - destroy all evidence that you tried.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure