Software4students

Options

Comments

• mikey72
    mikey72 Posts: 14,680 Forumite
    edited 14 November 2009 at 1:41PM
    Options
    We are talking about young children being deprived of their software here.

or

I entered into a contract with a company at an agreed price.

That's why I use them as well. Price, like you. My kids get software I'd deprive them of at full price.
  • GentleGiant_2
    Options
    LOL - I have no doubts that they are honest - however....

They have duty to deliver paid for goods - they know that they will not be delivered - so they should have resent them last week - not in a weeks time. To hide behind some contract with MS is rubbish - we have a contract with them and it is not our problem as to any contract that they have with a third party. The law is quite clear in this regard.

I am sure they will deliver - all I ask is for them to deliver promptly - heck if they offered a £5 special delivery then I would have taken this from the outset.

I guess what annoys me is that they will not discuss non-delivery until 21 days after the order has been placed. In today's online society this is far too long a period given the expected delivery of 3-5 days.
  • mikey72
    mikey72 Posts: 14,680 Forumite
    Options
    I've used them before, and they were fine.
    Their t&c's state the 21 days, and I'm sure it was the same months ago when I used them.
    When you get to contracts, you're buying a licence to use the software from microsoft, and never from s4s, so I have absolutely no idea what your rights are, but equally I would not expect s4s to "know" they will not be delivered, but I would expect they have to comform to whatever microsoft supply them with.
  • misterfish
    Options
    The point is that S4S know that these orders have not been fulfilled. The emails they sent are specific - stating both the order number and goods ordered which indicates that this is a 'system error' - i.e. their system went wrong and 'lost' the data prior to packing and dispatch. As they use untracked 1st class mail they would not be able to be specific about items lost in the post unless whole batches were misappropriated at posting time. My many years experience in designing, implementing and updating databasing systems makes me suspect that either there is insufficient testing of or checks in the system and until this glitch they have been lucky, or (more likely) their system has been updated/improved which has added a bug to the system.

I have no doubt that the orders will be fulfilled after this protracted timescale but it would be nice to given more specific information about the problem. Why it should take until Wednesday to cancel the 'lost' keys and issue the disks and new keys I find difficult to understand - in my department I would expect my staff to rectify such a problem rapidly as a high priority.
  • Reggie_Rebel
    Options
    We are talking about young children being deprived of their software here.

Yeah, right
    It's taken me years of experience to get this cynical
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    nothing to do with Royal Mail - they send them via first class post - which is not tracked. Therefore how would they know these have all been 'lost' if they entered the postal system.

I'm sure there's a certain degree of tracking available to S4S, I don't think they send a member of staff to the post box every day.

Unfortunately by using Royal Mail they are at the beck and call of their terms and conditions, especially the part where RM won't class anything as lost until 15 working days after dispatch.

I can't imagine why this is anything more than a genuine hiccup. Why S4S jeopardise their reputation they've built up for years? It doesn't make sense.
  • peter.collins443
    Options
    We have been given a date by Microsoft and all keys will be cancelled by Wednesday 18th November. At this stage we can issue a second dispatch. We expect your second dispatch to be with you on or before Monday 23rd November.

Rang software4students re my missing disk today and after listening to a recorded message, spoke to a rep, who said that the new disk would be sent out by first class mail Wednesday or Thursday this week. Asked if it was going to be sent out by registered mail as I had been told this would happen last week by another advisor and today I was told it will not be sent out by registered post. mmmmmmmmmmmm

Hope this one does not go a stray finger and toes crossed.

Just in case I have looked for another supplier googled discount software for students and came across a company called Pugh co uk

Peter Collins
  • Oneday77
    Oneday77 Posts: 1,242 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am sitting here waiting for Win 7 Ultimate and Office 2007 enterprise.
    Am I a little annoyed? Yes.
    Am I saying S4S is conning us? No.
    Will we ever find out the real cause of the issue? I doubt it.
    I am one of the most impatient people known to man but even I can't belive some of the views on here, 'Deprived little children' and any other complaints. I used to use a bit of paper and a pen when I was little. If you want real cheap use open office. MS Office is a perk not a specific need.
    We have been offered a refund if we want it. I am willing to wait, even considering more software. A colleague recommended them and he has nothing but good things to say about them.
    The story of MS cancelling the licences is to ensure that where ever the software maybe it can't be used as guenuine, won't activate windows. As for the delay, they will need to isolate the key range by means of stock take and cancel the correct ones. Imagine you ordered 2 copies of Win 7, say 32bit and 64bit editions 2 days apart. One arrived and they cancel both your discs then you would all be peeved.:mad:

The term I am looking for I think is wind your necks in and either claim the refund or wait.....Rant over.
    New PV club member. 3.99kW system. Solar Edge with 14 x 285W JA Solar panels. 55° West from south and 35° pitch.
  • GentleGiant_2
    Options
    Wait for how long?

What is to say they will not 'go missing' again?
  • denchys
    denchys Posts: 28 Forumite
    Options
    I may be getting worried a little too early but there does appear to be an ongoing problem with this company and their dispatch system. I know of 3 different orders for Windows 7 that were all 'dispatched' on the 9th of November with an expected delivery of 3-5 working days. It has now been 7 working days.
    Is anyone else having problems with items ordered since the postal strike finished?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure