Comping Guide - Getting Started & Other FAQs

Options

Comments

• marie_mum
    marie_mum Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks a lot.. v useful for newbies like me! Just entered my first comp to win body shop body butter.. good luck to me!
  • luckylady0
    luckylady0 Posts: 141 Forumite
    Options
    I just want to say to anyone who definitely wants to enter competitions regularly - download Roboform (automatic form filler) from the Roboform webpage. I saw many members mention it but didn't get round to it until just now and have realized how great and simple it is. It would have saved my hands SO much pain and swelling, not to mention time and effort. D'oh!
  • Elsbells21
    Elsbells21 Posts: 1,702 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi All

Just wondered, when I do any search (e.g E: 24/05) it will only show me 12 pages when it's quite an obvious assumption that there are more than that. Is there a way to expand the number of pages to view?

Many thanks :)
  • mrslimo30
    mrslimo30 Posts: 319 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

Hope I havent missed this anywhere but its also my first post. I've just started comping and im planning on moving so I'm just wondering, the comps that I've entered that I may end if I've moved what if I informed of a win by post or the prize just gets delivered.
    Really dont want someone else to get an ipad on new TV randomly :)

Thanks
    2016 Wins: Pregnacare Bundle, Makunu Wines Picnic Bag, Paw Patrol DVD, Sand Remover Beach Products, Personalised Diary
  • tgroom57
    tgroom57 Posts: 1,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've been comping a while and have recently had to change to comping by end-date.
    I've just pulled up the sorted list, and started at page 37 for 03/06, then half way through that got cut and 03/06 started at page 18, and it is still creeping back. Obviously someone is moving stuff into game over and I am very grateful for the ongoing maintenance of this fantastic place.

I just wondered how I can be sure I've seen all the comps for a particular date - if I happen to be looking while this shuffling is going on :(
  • VelvetGlove
    VelvetGlove Posts: 12,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi tgroom57, sorry for the delay getting back to you, I must have missed the email to alert me there was a new post in here! :o

I had to resort to end date comping earlier this year when I fell badly behind & found that if I tried to get a day or two ahead of the end date, I didn't run into the issues you are finding now - but it did mean that I had to do a little 'mop up' on the end dates that I'd already done but weren't over yet (if you see what I mean?)

The other option if you find yourself in this situation is to do your end date search in the main forum, then again in the GO section - I think it is quite rare now that they get moved before the day is done (so to speak) but the BG's have to fit in a real life with their volunteer duties so it is understandable that it happens sometimes.

General message to all compers:

Questions do get answered more quickly in the Discussion Thread which is also pinned to the top area of page 1 of the Comps forum as there is more traffic in there.

This thread is best used for alerting compers to new tips/hints - also means I can throw them into the main Guide at the start of this thread if they aren't already in there :)
    Sad because you don't know what to do? :sad: Comping question? Take a look in the Comping Guide to find out :smiley:
  • ikkle87
    ikkle87 Posts: 8,449 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    tgroom57 wrote: »
    I've been comping a while and have recently had to change to comping by end-date.
    I've just pulled up the sorted list, and started at page 37 for 03/06, then half way through that got cut and 03/06 started at page 18, and it is still creeping back. Obviously someone is moving stuff into game over and I am very grateful for the ongoing maintenance of this fantastic place.

I just wondered how I can be sure I've seen all the comps for a particular date - if I happen to be looking while this shuffling is going on :(

The way I do it is I find where the comps ending on xx date start and finish and then I use Snap Links to open all the pages up in new tabs that have comps ending on that date. Then I work my way through each page, that way if a BG does move comps it doesn't affect me as the pages don't change. For some dates there may only be 4 or 5 pages of comps on that date, for others there may be many more but it's the easiest way I find.
    You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.

xx Mama to a gorgeous Cranio Baby xx
  • Amilucky?
    Amilucky? Posts: 13,790 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ikkle87 wrote: »
    The way I do it is I find where the comps ending on xx date start and finish and then I use Snap Links to open all the pages up in new tabs that have comps ending on that date. Then I work my way through each page, that way if a BG does move comps it doesn't affect me as the pages don't change. For some dates there may only be 4 or 5 pages of comps on that date, for others there may be many more but it's the easiest way I find.

I do something similar I use Snaplinks to save all of the mse links to bookmarks, it takes some time to bookmark all of the mse pages as there are usually 300+ I then bookmark each days new comps every day (only 260 at the time of posting)

from my bookmarks I then can select which day I want to enter and open them all into tabs, then when I have entered them all the bookmarks are then deleted, how-ether instead of deleting them you could create a folder called "GAME OVER" and after you have entered the comps move then into the folder

the best thing about bookmarking the comps is it makes it easier to search for the comps that you wish to enter I:E you can sort by date ending (FB) Twitter or even search for any prize that you would like to win like "Ipad"
  • lorraine1980
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I've only just registered with this site & am completely new to 'comping'. So far I've really enjoyed it and although I've not yet won anything it's still fun to take part :)

Just have a quick question for all you regulars! For Twitter based competitions I do use my own personal Twitter page however there does seem to be a lot more comps on Facebook; now I don't want to flood my friends pages with me entering competitions - Do any of you girls or guys have Facebook specifically set up for solely entering competitions? I've made a Facebook account just for that purpose alone but I'm not sure if it's a good idea?...

Let me know your thoughts please :)

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies :)
  • Connie_Dobbs
    Options
    I used to use my own page but friends were complaining so i set up a comp only fb page. It's much easier!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure