PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

WI (womens institute)

Options

Comments

• flea72
    flea72 Posts: 5,392 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Frugalista wrote: »
    From reading the previous (old posts) I still can't see where the crafting and cooking fit in. What happens on the weeks that there is no guest speaker or demonstration? Is it then just a general chat amongst yourselves"?

on the weeks where you have no speaker or demonstration, its up to the members to come up with things to entertain themselves. members usually take it in turns (unless you have a really good chair who likes to plan everything) to come up with something for everyone to do. it doesnt have to be something OTT and hands-on, weve had nights where we discuss MSE, and what the best bargains are weve found in the shops, etc. As for cooking, most venues dont have facilities that allow everyone to cook, the cooking side is more for occasions, all other times, we just discuss cookery books, and recipes. crafting activities all depend on how skilled your members are, and whether that interests them.
    Looks like I'll be waiting a while then for littlest to start school! Thanks anyway

alot of meetings are held in the evenings, as most members arent free in the day, due to childcare and work commitments.

however, if you local ones are run in the day, then when your kids turn 3, take advantage of the subsidised childcare thats available

F
  • Ches
    Ches Posts: 1,120 Forumite
    Options
    I sent an email from the website to my local HQ and they gave me all the info. I am a bit nervous to be honest and not sure what my local group do? The website does not give you much info on what happens at meetings, I know they are all different but a rough idea would be good.

Hubby thinks it hilarious, says it will be full of old ladies and I will be the youngest at 34! I just said "oh well just me in the calendar next year then!" :rotfl: ;)

Having just moved into the village I went to my first WI meeting last week. I was the youngest there and I am 66. Speaker was a stand in for the 'Help the Aged' speaker who cried off at the last miinute and he spoke about 'Gardening in your twilight years'. TBH it wasn't very helpful to any age group. Think I will get more out of the WI from the ladies who attend and who's brains I can pick during the tea break. I know they have their own college who do short courses for handicrafts/art etc so I will explore that later. I know my mum attended the college years ago and she enjoyed it.
    Mortgage and Debt free but need to increase savings pot. :think:
  • Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Somebody earlier in the thread asked if the Towns Women's Guild was still going. It is, and has a website here.

I have two local WI groups to me. One meets during the day in one village, the other in the evening in the other village, so if you can't make a day time meeting, it might be worth looking to see if there are other groups nearby who might meet in the evenings.
  • Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ches wrote: »
    Having just moved into the village I went to my first WI meeting last week. I was the youngest there and I am 66. Speaker was a stand in for the 'Help the Aged' speaker who cried off at the last miinute and he spoke about 'Gardening in your twilight years'. TBH it wasn't very helpful to any age group. .

I think that this is the problem with the WI. Despite the TV series that showed the *renegade* woman who tried to bring it into the 21st century, she had a lot of the *old guard* against her and it still appears to outsiders that the WI is full of old fogies which puts newcomers off.

Unfortunately, unless new people join, it's going to die, which would be a great shame.
  • freudianslip
    freudianslip Posts: 195 Forumite
    Options
    I'm really enjoying the 'learning' of money saving, scrimping, making do etc. I am self taught (via you tube etc) crocheter and feel like there's so much to learn.

I have found out that there is a WI group in my local area. I'm not sure whether to join as being in my 30's. Am I too young? What are the costs involved and what is it that you actually 'do' as a member of the WI...... do you learn new skills?

Apologies for the rather ignorant questions. I am just hoping for a bit of feedback before I apply and maybe embarrass myself
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi freudianslip,

This thread has some advice that should help:

WI (womens institute)

I'll add your thread to it later to keep the discussion in one place.

Pink
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    I understand that the WI is not just jam and jerusalem these days! and they accept women of all ages. If you fancy it - go for it! you dont exactly have to commit the rest of your life to it - you CAN leave if its not for you!
  • jannyannie
    jannyannie Posts: 797 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

I used to go the WI as a guest with my Mum, loved it but don't have time to go on a regular basis. It was all ages and great fun in a very make do and mend way and it was lovely to see how things have moved on in my village where I grew up.

Jan
  • THIRZAH
    THIRZAH Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Options
    Most WIs will encourage you to attend two or three meetings before you join.

If you do decide to join-the subscriptions are payable in January. If you join between now and September you will have to pay this years sub and another in January 2012 but if you join in October you won't have to pay another sub until Jan 2013.

Our WI which meets in the morning has members aged from 30 to 88.
  • Rhyburgh
    Rhyburgh Posts: 423 Forumite
    Options
    Want to reiterate what everyone has been saying - the WI is definately for every age - I enjoy it so much that I have dual membership and belong to 2 WIs! The membership age varies from 18 - 80s - you just need to find a WI to suit you - not every WI is the same so just keep trying until you find one with a programme and people you like :-) A lot of WIs have websites and are on Facebook so you can get a feel for them without actually visiting.
    Heard the Shaggy Taxi Wind Up Phone Call?
    Visit my Shaggy videos on Youtube - search for Rhyburgh1 - now over 700,00 views - bring on the million!! Enjoy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure