PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

WI (womens institute)

Options

Comments

• pinksk8
    pinksk8 Posts: 217 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have actually thought of starting a group for younger women which would be like the WI. i know lots of young women in their twenties who are fully embracing the way of the old. x
    Won 2012:
    Bobbi Brown Mascara / TRIA System
    Raceday Tickets / Dainty Doll Make-Up /
    Garnier Face Serum / Tanning Kit
  • sarahg1969
    sarahg1969 Posts: 6,694 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    There's Ladies Circle too. I'm a member of my local group, and we have a fab time. We've got lots of younger members.

Most (if not all) of the groups are now open to all ladies, and not just wives of Round Tablers.

http://www.ladiescircle.co.uk/

:)
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    OUr local WI is all youngsters - I feel ancient and am not interested in the pamper sessions stuff they do alongside craft jewelry.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • jollymummy
    Options
    I'm thinking about joining too. The ones in our surrounding villages seem a bit erm... more mature. However, there is a relatively new one that's started up in our nearest town that looks really interesting.
    They meet on the first Thursday of the month, we should make a pact and all go along and report back :)
    :hello:
    NSD 3/366
    4/366. 2016 Decluttering challenge
  • threemuttleys
    Options
    Well...I did it...went along and it was really really good.. I am the youngest (by a good 2 decades) but they were all really lovely...been invited to the 92nd Birthday party and been asked to bake some cakes...and been enlisted to help with the teas and coffees at the local fete!

Result..really pleased!
  • bearcub
    bearcub Posts: 1,023 Forumite
    Options
    The WI groups here are thriving, but they vary widely in age range within each group. Someone suggested to me recently that my Mum joins - she's 83, and recently moved to a new area. Like me, though, she's very, very wary of all-women groups, and wouldn't even consider the idea.
  • Muppet81
    Muppet81 Posts: 951 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If anyone is within reach of Hebden Bridge, West Yorkshire ..... they have fun, fun, fun! Young members and a brilliant programme of meeting talks/events. Was set us as an alternative WI.

I am not a member as too much else on but know anyone wanting a "youthful" WI would not be dissapointed.
    Thank you for this site :jNow OH and I are both retired, MSE is a Godsend
  • laineyc_2
    laineyc_2 Posts: 923 Forumite
    Options
    I joined a local WI in December. It is very mixed, age wise. It is in north London. I actually tried another one about a year or so ago and I felt too old for it at 47!
    GC 2011 Feb £626.89/£450 NSD3/7 March £531.26/£450 April £495.99/£500 NSD 0/7 May £502.79/£500
    June £511.99/£480 July £311.56/£480
  • absolutebounder
    Options
    Don't be put off! The WI needs young blood! Everyone is friendly, get along and enjoy it!

They need young blood to push their wheel chairs.
    Who I am is not important. What I do is.
  • CupcakeLisa
    Options
    i would love to join but it scotland it is only in rural areas
    Best Wins - New York Trip, going Nov 2014: £350 House of Frazer Vouchers: £70 Handbag: Nitro Circus Live Tickets
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure