PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

WI (womens institute)

Options

Comments

• MandM90
    MandM90 Posts: 2,246 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    bearcub wrote: »
    The WI groups here are thriving, but they vary widely in age range within each group. Someone suggested to me recently that my Mum joins - she's 83, and recently moved to a new area. Like me, though, she's very, very wary of all-women groups, and wouldn't even consider the idea.

Just out of interest, why are you wary of all-women groups?

I considered going with my mum when she joined (she is only in her fifties). I'm only twenty two; still too scared to go!!
  • mummybearx
    mummybearx Posts: 1,921 Forumite
    Options
    Can't find a single group anywhere near me :( Not the WI, not the Ladies Circle, nothing. That's what I get for living in a town lol
    Can't think of anything smart to put here...
  • mrsmadmand
    Options
    Please do go and join your WI - or found your own! I am 38 and founded my local group 3 years ago after having my 2nd child, I have been President for the last 3 years...We already have a daytime group in our town but it meets at a very inconvenient time for anyone who may have school-age children (or who works during the day) and is primarily the 'older generation'.

So I thought there may be a market for an evening group - and decided to "test the waters". At our first meeting over 35 ladies turn up and 3 years later we have outgrown 2 venues and had our January meeting last week - with 50 ladies! 21 of which were visitors. We were delighted! In the past we have had demos of bellydancing, sheepdog trials, dreams analysis and a talk by a female member of the murder squad!

Our ages range from early 30's right through to retirement age and beyond and it really is lovely to have a diverse mix.

I am also becoming more involved at a higher level (county) to try to increase the number of younger members as I am so passionate about it. The WI also has a number of high profile campaigns and has thrown its weight behind some significant issues in the past - including ending Violence agains women, love your libraries and improving maternal healthcare amongst women in poorer countries.

Our calendar for 2012 includes a craft evening, a talk on stress management, a talk by a "butler to the stars" (robbie williams amongst others!) and a pole-dancing demo.....! :rotfl:

If you are interested in finding out more about the WI you can go to the website thewi.org.uk and if you're local to Milton Keynes and want to find out more about my WI then let me know - we're on facebook and everything!

Good luck! It really is a great institution. Just make sure you pick one that suits you. x
    In the words of Bill & Ted, "Be excellent to one another my friends"
  • bearcub
    bearcub Posts: 1,023 Forumite
    Options
    MandM90 wrote: »
    Just out of interest, why are you wary of all-women groups?

I considered going with my mum when she joined (she is only in her fifties). I'm only twenty two; still too scared to go!!

I went to an all-girls school, and hated it most of the time, because of the non-stop catiness. I then worked in an industry that was very much a male-dominated one at the time, and I loved it. Since then, I have been a part of female groups of varying ages, and find them very 'uneasy' for the most part. There always seems to be an undercurrent of tension. I much prefer a mix of male and female, although I have a couple of very close female friends. As I said, my Mum's the same and, funnily enough, so are both my adult daughters.
  • vl2588
    vl2588 Posts: 1,352 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    mrsmadmand wrote: »
    Please do go and join your WI

Our calendar for 2012 includes a craft evening, a talk on stress management, a talk by a "butler to the stars" (robbie williams amongst others!) and a pole-dancing demo.....! :rotfl:

You certainly sell it well! Must get round to thinking about it again :o might actually make a decision one day (then again might move in less than a year's time so not sure if it's worth joining).
    Weight loss: Start weight: 80kg; Current Weight: 77kg; Target weight: 55kg
  • MandM90
    MandM90 Posts: 2,246 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    bearcub wrote: »
    I went to an all-girls school, and hated it most of the time, because of the non-stop catiness. I then worked in an industry that was very much a male-dominated one at the time, and I loved it. Since then, I have been a part of female groups of varying ages, and find them very 'uneasy' for the most part. There always seems to be an undercurrent of tension. I much prefer a mix of male and female, although I have a couple of very close female friends. As I said, my Mum's the same and, funnily enough, so are both my adult daughters.

I went to an all girls school and loved it for the most part (some cattiness but generally very nice and hardly any bullying compared to what DDs dad - all boys school - told me went on). DD is in an all girls prep school now, too. Then again in my area pretty much all the good schools are single sex so maybe it's just what we see as 'normal' :rotfl:

My academic area is very male dominated - Physics is not a famous field for being popular with ladies - so maybe I do crave the female camaraderie for that reason.
  • mrsmadmand
    Options
    vl2588 wrote: »
    You certainly sell it well! Must get round to thinking about it again :o might actually make a decision one day (then again might move in less than a year's time so not sure if it's worth joining).

I guess I have a vested interest in making the programme of events interesting....;)
    In the words of Bill & Ted, "Be excellent to one another my friends"
  • Molly41
    Molly41 Posts: 4,919 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I have just joined after doing a brilliant course at Denman College - the WI college. I have become an Associate member but am looking to join my local group. Im quite close to MK but think it would be a bit far to travel. I like the original ethos......

What is a Women’s Institute? A group of women banded together to help their country and themselves – Federation of Women’s Institutes.
    Cohen, Susan (2011) The Women’s Institute. Shire Publications. Oxford, England. https://www.shirebooks.co.uk
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and through me. When it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    When the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
  • Rummer
    Rummer Posts: 6,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    i would love to join but it scotland it is only in rural areas

I feel the same, that sort of thing would really appeal to me but there are no groups near me.
    Taking responsibility one penny at a time!
  • bearcub
    bearcub Posts: 1,023 Forumite
    Options
    MandM90 wrote: »
    My academic area is very male dominated - Physics is not a famous field for being popular with ladies - so maybe I do crave the female camaraderie for that reason.

A physicist, eh? :) I was a physical chemist - in the oil industry, then a science techie for years. Retired (early) now, and probably the right sort of age for the WI, but it really doesn't appeal. I know a few people who do belong to a group, though, and love it. I have quite a few other 'activities', though, both hobbies and voluntary work. Don't have the time for anything else! ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.8K Travel & Transport