Low Carb Diet (atkins)

Options

Comments

• shykins
    shykins Posts: 2,759 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    flax seed (also called linseed in uk) comes in brown or golden, brown is cheaper u can get it in some supermarkets now but also holland & barrett or other health food shops

as i said the whey powder as far as i am concerned is the protein powder stuff that bodybuilders use, jus the s/free one.. also health food stores... someone correct me if i am wrong

x
    When you know better you do better

Atkins since 2004 - 8 stone loss maintaining
  • Badger_Lady
    Badger_Lady Posts: 6,264 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yeah - I get ready-ground sprouted flax seed from my local health food shop.

I don't use whey (not keen on dairy), but I do add Hemp protein powder to a lot of food (and use it as a flour substitute in baking) - that's also from the local health food place, they order it in for me now :)
    Mortgage | £145,000Unsecured Debt | [strike]£7,000[/strike] £0 Lodgers | |
  • Sazbo
    Sazbo Posts: 4,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    Bad head too - must be withdrawals.

So far I've had bacon, egg, toasted nut bread, mushrooms and berries with cream.

Now, where do you buy the weird stuff from - like flax and whey stuff?

lol shykins i'm glad you answered about the weird whey stuff - I didn't have a clue - thought it was summink to do with Miss Muffet?!:o

Aurora - I buy the whole flax seeds and grind them myself at home - it's cheaper than buying flax ready ground. Plus, you get the maximum benefits from them that way. I think Holland & Barrett currently have 500g bags of brown flax as buy one get one half priced - which i think works out roughly at just under £4 for the two bags - if my dodgy maths is right lol. Goodness Direct sells a 3kg bag for £4.91 (but p&p on top of that). Ted H who posts on here gets his from stockists of Suma wholefoods, I think.

I'm feeling very sorry for that lonely cherry tomato now - maybe we should set up a support thread for it on MSE :rotfl:

Sxx
    4 May 2010 <3
  • avstar
    avstar Posts: 1,149 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Aw I'm so useless LOL!

I'm determined to try the oopsies tonight so went to Morrisons at lunchtime and bought cream cheese - now I know what it is thanks! Left the philly and bought Mozzers own full fat version much cheaper. Also got silicon baking roll - to line baking tray £4.
    But forgot the cream of tartar doh!
    Is it essential to oopsies? I've got baking powder but not sure if that will be OK.
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Anyone seen Atkins (or alternative low carb) tomato sauce? Spotted it in a recipe but cant find a stockist.
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • shykins
    shykins Posts: 2,759 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    avstar no its not absolutely essential just helps the whites stiffen... make sure u use a bowl that has NO residues on it mine seem to whip better in a glass bowl... dont use baking powder

alias could u just use tomato puree instead?? morrisons do a low sugar, low salt one but its still got carbs... failing that try googlin lowcarb tom sauce u might find a recipe

i have my mushrooms in the oven with celeriac chips,.. its either gonna be lovely or bleurggghhh i shall let u know
    x
    When you know better you do better

Atkins since 2004 - 8 stone loss maintaining
  • newish2this
    Options
    Shykins, I've been tempted by those celeric chips. What are they like?:)
    If you think nobody cares whether you're alive or dead, try missing a couple of mortgage payments.:whistle:

My way is Atkins;)
  • Sazbo
    Sazbo Posts: 4,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    On the celeriac chips front - I do like them but they need a bit more help with seasoning than chips made with potatoes, imo. I usually sprinkle mine with some paprika/chilli pwder/herbs - whatever i have to hand.

Sxx
    4 May 2010 <3
  • sandy2_2
    sandy2_2 Posts: 1,931 Forumite
    Options
    Sazbo wrote: »
    On the celeriac chips front - I do like them but they need a bit more help with seasoning than chips made with potatoes, imo. I usually sprinkle mine with some paprika/chilli pwder/herbs - whatever i have to hand.Sxx

celeriac wedges then......
  • ~daisy~_2
    ~daisy~_2 Posts: 2,566 Forumite
    Options
    i used to make celeriac mash but find them very expensive
    do they crisp up nicely as chips ? may need to try them
    :j MFi3 wannabee :j
    mortgage owing 04.07 £36,000
    mortgage owing 07.10 £0 !!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories