Low Carb Diet (atkins)

Options

Comments

• tinkerbell84
    tinkerbell84 Posts: 5,323 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, Philly is cream cheese, but it's not the only kind! ;)
  • maltesers_2
    Options
    This website has some very nice looking recipes including 2 alternatives for pancakes. This one uses almondflour/ ground almonds

http://www.cake-and-biscuit-diet.com/Pancakes.aspx
  • paula7924
    paula7924 Posts: 236 Forumite
    Options
    needmoney wrote: »
    Think I'm prob gonna do abit of atkins and a bit of Dajlquist to start with.

The Atkins book is great for the technical info re insulin resistance etc and its (fairly) simple rules but I really recommend that you get hold of a copy of The Idiot Proof Diet.
    I found their diaries illuminating and really helped me sort out my relationship with food and "dieting", and I think their book is a more practical guide to helping your low carb way of eating.
    http://www.pig2twig.co.uk/

I do have a couple of issues with the Atkins ruls - the 2cups+1cup rule is easy but much more restrictive that it need be since you can eat loads more than 3 cups of the lower carb stuff like lettuce and cucumber before you get anywhere near the 20g a day limit (in fact i think you could have a whole dutbinful of lettuce if you were so inclined!).
    I've got a nutritional analysis kitchen scale (orginally bought for the fat and calorie count :rotfl: ) so I ended up using the carb counts from that rather than the volume measurement even when I was on induction.

I notice that the latest acceptable food lists seem to have abandoned the 2cups+1cup rule too http://www.atkins.com/Program/FourPhases/WhatIsInduction/AcceptableFoodsList.aspx (although they do also recommend their atkin's nutritional bars for later phases and DrA himself stressed that we should avoid processed foods...)

Also, some veg does seem to be missing from the acceptable list - baby corn and sprouts for example are lower carb than than cabbage and mange tout, so I eat them! And why does the IPD exclude red peppers but Atkins allow it them I wonder.

What do the rest of you think?
    My name is Paula and I am a low carber :kiss: 1/6/08-83kg : 1/5/10-57kg :kiss: (Atkins/IPD) 24/1/13 - 69kg! Yikes!:cry::cry:
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    paula7924 wrote: »
    What do the rest of you think?

I think I'm very easily confused, lol.

Anyway......:o ....what are pork rinds? I saw a recipe for chicken kiev on one of Ted's links and it says a cup of grated pork rinds?
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • ~daisy~_2
    ~daisy~_2 Posts: 2,566 Forumite
    Options
    pork rinds are pork scratchings - i use them with a mixture of parmesan whizzed up as a coating for my tuna chilli fishcakes
    :j MFi3 wannabee :j
    mortgage owing 04.07 £36,000
    mortgage owing 07.10 £0 !!!!
  • ~daisy~_2
    Options
    i think i may buy the IPD......
  • needmoney
    needmoney Posts: 4,932 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well my supermarket didn't have a book for me so until tomorrow it's back to searching here.
    I've blown everything before I start, had two welsh cakes while out, Oh has bought my very favourite bakewell tarts so will be one of those after the spagetti bol (on the stove now) with broccoli and cauliflower and some parmesan cheese. Spag Bol all made with fresh ingredients from scratch though sodoes that cut my sins down a bit? :D

I will be grateful for any pointers to recipes or useful info too thanks.
    Women and cats will do as they please and men and dogs should get used to it.;)
    Happiness is a perfume you cannot pour on others without getting a few drops on yourself.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

• aliasojo
    Options
    ~daisy~ wrote: »
    pork rinds are pork scratchings -

:o Like you buy in a bag in the pub? :confused:
  • ~daisy~_2
    Options
    yup thats them - i found some light pork scratchings once and they were really lovely not as ''fatty'' as normal ones and have never seen them anywhere else sadly
    you can buy them in the supermarkets too - you dont need to get 20 tichy bags from the pub :D
  • aliasojo
    Options
    Thanks daisy. :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories