Low Carb Diet (atkins)

Options

Comments

• shykins
    shykins Posts: 2,759 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    saz let me know if its any good and what carb count it is if u do go

needmoney personally i would decide on one or other of the plans u (and more likely us) will only get confused if u try and combine them cos its differing advice depending on what u are doing

x
    When you know better you do better

Atkins since 2004 - 8 stone loss maintaining
  • shykins
    shykins Posts: 2,759 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    lol tinks snap,,, musta been posting at same time!!!

oh todays menus.... late brekkie... 2 slice bacon
    lunch.... pate and tomatoe in lettuce wraps
    dinner... pork chops, brussels and green beans

x
    When you know better you do better

Atkins since 2004 - 8 stone loss maintaining
  • HC_2
    HC_2 Posts: 2,239 Forumite
    Options
    Do you think it's essential to go with one or another? All the diets are based on exactly the same principle, i.e. reducing your carbs to the extent that stored fat has to be used for energy. Atkins is the perhaps the strictest, with Dr D and others allowing more leeway. Maybe weight loss correlates accordingly.

I read both Atkins and IPD, had a look at Dr D, and I'm now reading Rose Elliott out of interest. For the first month I counted carbs, staying under 20g, until I was in the swing of it. Not convinced that any book/plan is essential, but it'll certainly make it easier, especially at the beginning. IPD is a good, enjoyable, light-hearted one.
  • avstar
    avstar Posts: 1,149 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi everyone and hope today's low carbing is going well.

Welcome Needmoney, I started reading the thread about a month ago and still haven't finished it lol:D I keep reading the new posts and then going back through the old posts, mak.ing notes of recipes etc.

B - fired egg & ham
    L - salad with a blob of mayonaise & a chicken leg
    D - poss corned beef hash thingy with tomatoes and a pepper. T'other half will have rice with his bit.

Just a quick (and embrassing question:o ).......I know I;m showing my culinary ignorance here but what is cream cheese? Is it Philadelphia :o:o

Also whats the diferrence in all the different creams - single, double, pouring, whipping....spent so may years on low fat eating that I've never even looked at cream in the supermarket :eek: . I need an idiots guide to cream LOL.
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    Options
    Are you a carb addict?
    Good Daily Mail Article on carbohydrate addiction.

It would be great if more UK readers who understand how low carbohydrate diets work could reply to the article and also rate the replies that are useful. One from annika sweden I wonder if that is my Annika?

Based on this paper
    The obesity epidemic: Is glycemic index the key to unlocking a hidden addiction?
    High body mass index (BMI) is an important cause of a range of diseases and is estimated to be the seventh leading cause of death globally. In this paper we discuss evidence that food consumption shows similarities to features of other addictive behaviours, such as automaticity and loss of control. Glycemic index is hypothesised to be the element of food that predicts its addictive potential. Although we do not have substantive evidence of a withdrawal syndrome from high glycemic food abstinence, anecdotal reports exist. Empirical scientific and clinical studies support an addictive component of eating behaviour, with similar neurotransmitters and neural pathways triggered by food consumption, as with other drugs of addiction. The public health implications of such a theory are discussed, with reference to tobacco control. Subtle changes in the preparation and manufacturing of commonly consumed food items, reducing glycemic index through regulatory channels, may break such a cycle of addiction and draw large public health benefits.

“When you are addicted to drugs you put the tiger in the cage to recover; when you are addicted to food you put the tiger in the cage, but take it out three times a day for a walk. (Kerri-Lynn Murphy Kriz [1])”.
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
  • Badger_Lady
    Badger_Lady Posts: 6,264 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hmmm, not so good today - I'm stressed out waiting to hear back from my interview! Feedback is very good though :wink:

Breakfast - brie baguette (naughty, naughty)
    Lunch - fried tofu, feta and spinach salad followed by almonds and raspberries
    Dinner - nah, a cup of tea will do me tonight
    Mortgage | £145,000Unsecured Debt | [strike]£7,000[/strike] £0 Lodgers | |
  • ~daisy~_2
    ~daisy~_2 Posts: 2,566 Forumite
    Options
    Yep, you're right;)

I can't remember where I found this recipe, it might have been on pig2twig??

It's actually a recipe for pancakes (and they look like pancakes when cooked) but, you can apparently use the same mix to make layers in caneionni, lasagne and yorkshire puddings :dance:

Recipe as follows;

Cream Cheese Pancakes (makes about 4, each about 7" diameter)

2oz cream cheese
    2 eggs
    1 tsp vanilla extract (omit this if making wraps)
    1 tblsp cream

Mix all the ingredients together (easier with a hand blender as cheese can be lumpy) and cook as a normal pancake.:D

made these but think i did something wrong as they were very delicate and although i have a very good non stick pan i couldnt turn them over without breaking them :confused:

any ideas pls ?
    :j MFi3 wannabee :j
    mortgage owing 04.07 £36,000
    mortgage owing 07.10 £0 !!!!
  • avstar
    Options
    ~daisy~ wrote: »
    made these but think i did something wrong as they were very delicate and although i have a very good non stick pan i couldnt turn them over without breaking them :confused:

any ideas pls ?

Haven't made them myself (cream cheese LOL?) but poss they were too thin, not enough mixture in pan?
  • ~daisy~_2
    ~daisy~_2 Posts: 2,566 Forumite
    Options
    someone mentioned they made 4 7 inch rounds so used that as my guide ....
    :j MFi3 wannabee :j
    mortgage owing 04.07 £36,000
    mortgage owing 07.10 £0 !!!!
  • avstar
    Options
    Hang on - I've answered one of my own questions - Delia's guide to cream :rotfl:
    http://www.deliaonline.com/ingredients/cream,273,IN.html

Still need some help on the cream cheese front tho:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family